Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: demps and monty huge mistake

If Rivers lacks the ability to get to the Rim how did he attempt 39% of ALL shots there?

Within 10ft of the basket he attempted 68% of all of his shots.

For comparisons sake Tony Parker has only averaged 36% of his shots within 3ft for his career and 54% of his shots within 10ft.

He also attempts more shots within 3ft and within 10ft than Westbrook or Harden. I'm sure multiple other players as well.

Anyone trying to knock Rivers ability to get to the basket hasn't been watching games.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    RTB, you're a good, informed poster but this statement is pure hyperbole. Nobody believes this statement other than Pels/Rivers fans. This is a reach.
    I watched that game. I stated my opinion. There was only a 3-5min stretch where Rivers was guarding Kobe and it was hard for Kobe to get past him. IIRC he hit a couple of shots but they were tough and the defense was perfect. If you watched the same game and know what I'm talking about give me your opinion on it instead of just saying only Pels fans belive this. Because I don't know how anyone who actually watched it could not have been impressed with what they saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    but.. but.. he's the Voice of Reason
    .....and you're better than Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post

.....and you're better than Rivers
    Oh no I'm saying Russ is better than Rivers

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

All of your previous posts make sense now.

Can we wait to see how he does in a REAL NBA game first? LOL Summer League is one thing.
    Whooooollleeee different game with the big boys. I'm hoping for the best.
    I personally think a bench of Russ and Rivers together would be fun to watch. I'm rooting for both of em.

Rivers was my Least favorite draft prospect his year, Russ was my favorite this year. You can say I'm jumping to conclusions, but, as fans, projecting what these young players will be down the line is what we should do.

Also

don't they look alike?
    I also think Rivers looks like Bayless because neither can grow facial hair at all

just sayin'

haha yeah look very similar good call.

Some of y'all seem like you want him to fail smh

Calling a spade a spade and wanting someone to fail are two different things. If BRob or Aminu were just like Rivers (talent wise and success wise), they'd be getting ripped relentlessly. Rivers is a fan fav so he gets a pass from most. I personally don't hate or love him but when the perception of upside doesn't match the product on the court, something has to give. Rivers defenders remind me of the Cavs fans. They don't want to trade Wiggins for Love because of his perceived upside totally forgetting that Love is an awesome product already. Rivers and his "upside" is an urban legend around here. He was bottom of the barrel as a rook and gets moderately better as a soph now everybody thinks that's validation that he's about to break out. Rivers' descriptions range from overly optimistic to overly gloomy when in fact he's barely an average nba player. If he wasn't Doc's kid, nobody would even care (good or bad).
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote from a guy that seen Austin play in the Orlando pro am today.
    "looked like he was told to work on his 3 point shooting this offseason. He took like 12 3's! only made 2... but his handles were awesome, and he made a lot going to the basket. He's gotten a lot bigger too."

What is Orlando pro am?? A summer league of the summer league?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Quote from a guy that seen Austin play in the Orlando pro am today.
    "looked like he was told to work on his 3 point shooting this offseason. He took like 12 3's! only made 2... but his handles were awesome, and he made a lot going to the basket. He's gotten a lot bigger too."
    Austin's gotten bigger? Is someone out there actually listening to me and passing my comments along? Heh.

Be awesome if true.

I saw someone mention Goran Dragic. Well Dragic's first 4 years in the league were pretty average to below average and luckily no one gave up on him cause he's become a really good player. He finally put it all together at age 25 or 26. He weighs less than Rivers currently does, so I can only imagine how small/weak he was at 22 or so when he first came into the league. One huge difference was that Dragic was a 2nd round pick, so he didn't have any pressure on him to succeed right away.

IMO, Rivers has shown that he can play in this league. He has good handles and can play solid defense. He has improved his shooting and for not really being a point guard in college he doesn't turn the ball over at a high rate. I hated his dad as a player, so it has nothing to do with him for sure. If that's the only reason he is still in the league then why isn't Michael Jordan's kids on the bench somewhere collecting a pay check? I know for sure one of them played college ball too. I hate Duke with a passion too. The main reason I want him to succeed is because he was drafted and plays for my favorite NBA team!

Video of Austin hitting a smooth step back 3 at the Orlando pro am. http://instagram.com/p/qxJ-sWTYtu/

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    If Tyreke starts at the 3 then Rivers will more than likely be a pivotal part of the bench. If Denps has faith that he can be the primary backup G then I'm looking forward to seeing if he continues his improvement. If Jimmer or Russ beats him out in camp for minutes... Well it'd be time to start moving on. I suppose it's too much to ask we wait for that before we judge him, huh
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Calling a spade a spade and wanting someone to fail are two different things. If BRob or Aminu were just like Rivers (talent wise and success wise), they'd be getting ripped relentlessly. Rivers is a fan fav so he gets a pass from most. I personally don't hate or love him but when the perception of upside doesn't match the product on the court, something has to give. Rivers defenders remind me of the Cavs fans. They don't want to trade Wiggins for Love because of his perceived upside totally forgetting that Love is an awesome product already. Rivers and his "upside" is an urban legend around here. He was bottom of the barrel as a rook and gets moderately better as a soph now everybody thinks that's validation that he's about to break out. Rivers' descriptions range from overly optimistic to overly gloomy when in fact he's barely an average nba player. If he wasn't Doc's kid, nobody would even care (good or bad).
    Could not have said it better! I really do hate even reading Rivers name on this board. There is no middle ground, he is either POTENTIALLY a 18-5-5 all star or one of the worst players in the league. Truth is he is probably neither.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Video of Austin hitting a smooth step back 3 at the Orlando pro am. http://instagram.com/p/qxJ-sWTYtu/
    too bad he was 2-12 from 3 apparently....
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Could not have said it better! I really do hate even reading Rivers name on this board. There is no middle ground, he is either POTENTIALLY a 18-5-5 all star or one of the worst players in the league. Truth is he is probably neither.
    I've stated plenty of times that rivers' potential is at best to be an average to above-average second unit player...which obviously is nowhere near 18-5-5. And i've not been alone in that so either you've been reading another board or you have reading comprehension problems...your pick.

If anything, people react a bit too much when others who either want to troll or haven't watched games describe rivers as crap and say that his potential is to be the same crap he supposedly has been thus far. Amazing, that.

We will always hope for Rivers to excel on the offensive end, but his defense is so far ahead of his offense and that isn't a bad thing. Just give me an average offensive player and have him continue his evolution on defense, and I am happy. I don't care if he is hitting step back 3's, because I don't want him taking those and I doubt Monty does either. If he can continue to be a good spot up shooter, while finishing better in the paint and making his free throws at a 75-80 percent clip, that is all I need on offense.

Have we officially signed John Salmons yet? I don't see him on any updated rosters.

I used to hate posts like the OP, but now i'm starting to get a healthy laugh out of them

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I've stated plenty of times that rivers' potential is at best to be an average to above-average second unit player...which obviously is nowhere near 18-5-5. And i've not been alone in that so either you've been reading another board or you have reading comprehension problems...your pick.

If anything, people react a bit too much when others who either want to troll or haven't watched games describe rivers as crap and say that his potential is to be the same crap he supposedly has been thus far. Amazing, that.
    Wait, I was agreeing with you. I was saying most on this board are on one side (18-5-5) or the other (worst ever), when the truth is somewhere in the middle as you have said.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I used to hate posts like the OP, but now i'm starting to get a healthy laugh out of them
    Meh, it's offseason. Brought some discussion I guess. Gotta get that bi-weekly "Is Rivers a dud or was the timer just set too long?????" debate going.

Just because you attempt your shots there doesn't mean you have the ability to get there consistently and doesn't mean your finishing well. Which is the case with his well below NBA average FG% at the rim. Another reason is he doesn't have a decent jump shot, thus he has to attack the rim. He doesn't have a mid range option. Tony Parker, Westbrook and Harden shoot a thousand times better than Rivers. I watch all games, with an honest and open analysis. You have a man crush on Rivers, its ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If Rivers lacks the ability to get to the Rim how did he attempt 39% of ALL shots there?

Within 10ft of the basket he attempted 68% of all of his shots.

For comparisons sake Tony Parker has only averaged 36% of his shots within 3ft for his career and 54% of his shots within 10ft.

He also attempts more shots within 3ft and within 10ft than Westbrook or Harden. I'm sure multiple other players as well.

Anyone trying to knock Rivers ability to get to the basket hasn't been watching games.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Just because you attempt your shots there doesn't mean you have the ability to get there consistently and doesn't mean your finishing well.
    Could you attempt shots from there without actually GETTING THERE???

Thread Information