Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eric Gordon and Potential

Gordon 52, Anderson 59 average games per season per career. Apples to elephants??????

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    More like apples to elephants.

Yeah and notice how J.Smith is no longer on the team

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Only one time in his career has he played in more than 66 games. Averaging 59 games per season for his career.
    In 2011 when Anderson played in only 61 games....that was the lockout year, only 66 games were played. That year Gordon played in 9.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-25-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Gordon had 38 points in two games this past season heading into the 4th quarter. Our coach in his infinite wisdom in both games held him out of the fourth quarter until the 5 minute mark and he never touched the ball again in either game.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I came across this highlight video of Gordon and Reke from the Bulls game where Jrue hit the game winning layup. And I noticed that Gordon came up big for us offensively and defensively in the 4th and ots of that game. He can be big time when he wants to be, the problem is he doesn't seem like he want to be.

Edit: forgot the link to the video lol http://youtu.be/rBJlYcj7N7c

Gordon had 38 points in two games this past season heading into the 4th quarter. Our coach in his infinite wisdom in both games held him out of the fourth quarter until the 5 minute mark and he never touched the ball again in either game.
    Maybe he was so tired from scoring 38 points in the first 3 quarters he needed a breather to finish out the game.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I came across this highlight video of Gordon and Reke from the Bulls game where Jrue hit the game winning layup. And I noticed that Gordon came up big for us offensively and defensively in the 4th and ots of that game. He can be big time when he wants to be, the problem is he doesn't seem like he want to be.

Edit: forgot the link to the video lol http://youtu.be/rBJlYcj7N7c
    I had completely forgotten that Amundson was on the roster this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post

image credit: rocky rockerson
    wow, he looks like he lost 20 pounds

And the Spurs had a better offensive rating with Tony Parker out. Think they should dump him?
    while this is true, an -8.2 differential is in a different ball park than 2.6. That is worse than Beasley on Phoenix. For every good game pointed out I can name 2 bad ones + 1 he didn't play in. In his 3 years here there are only a hand full of games that you can point to for hope. One of the most talented in the league? please he isn't top 10, hardly top 15
    never assume

Maybe Gordon really is healthy and we can get the clippers Eric Gordon for just one season lol

Maybe it is mismanagement or maybe it is not fully recovering from injury or maybe it is mental or maybe it is what it is, either way Gordon was our third best guard last season. He had a tendency to disappear late in games and for entire streaks of games. He also did a very poor job of playing within the bounds of the team. He seemed to hurt the rhythm of our offense and his defense was much worse then advertised.

To the poster blaming Monty for his 38 point games where he pulled him in the fourth. I could better accept that criticism if it wasn't a staple of Gordon last season. Countless games he started hot only to disappear for the rest of the game.

not disagreeing at all with your statement, but I seem to remember Gordon disappearing in a lot of 4th quarters, even without monty benching him. now as mentioned, I'm going off memory here, haven't gone back to find the games. personally I am hoping for a great season from Gordon.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    You people on here are obsessed with Eric Gordon. Yea let's take one of the most talented SG's in the league and turn him into a role players. Man, that a great plan. That will get us to the playoffs. Thanks for the amazing wisdom.
    Gordon has done nothing in the past 3 years to prove he's one of the top 20 best SG's in the game. He has won nothing, he has stayed injured, he has whined about roles and wanting out, shot a below average FG%, has one of the worst rebounding rates in the game, takes plays off on BOTH ends, averages roughly 1 more assist than turnover and of course there's his defense which used to be one of his calling cards but now I could go on for days about in a bad way.

Gordon's contract is bad. We all get that and we accept that he won't earn the money he makes. But if he could become a 3&D guy (Unlikely because it requires defense and him accepting the role) then he could at least provide something.
    @DanielVeuleman

He hasn't been healthy in the past 3 years!!! If you think he'd be more valuable as 3 & D guy for this team, wow, just wow. How many live Pels game have you attended?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Gordon has done nothing in the past 3 years to prove he's one of the top 20 best SG's in the game. He has won nothing, he has stayed injured, he has whined about roles and wanting out, shot a below average FG%, has one of the worst rebounding rates in the game, takes plays off on BOTH ends, averages roughly 1 more assist than turnover and of course there's his defense which used to be one of his calling cards but now I could go on for days about in a bad way.

Gordon's contract is bad. We all get that and we accept that he won't earn the money he makes. But if he could become a 3&D guy (Unlikely because it requires defense and him accepting the role) then he could at least provide something.

Tyreke and Gordon both have the tendency to ball stop, and that's a big worry for me on offense. They need to get the ball on the move. Especially Tyreke. I feel like he'd be devastating on curls. And as far as a geometry perspective, Gordon needs to play out of the corners more this year. I'm not saying 3 & D or a reduced role, he'd be devastating attacking close outs, he'd be more offensively involved if he was on the same side of the floor as a Davis post up. Tyreke did a lot of standing in the corners last year and he is just useless out there, other that a few nice cuts to the basket.

I also worry about defense, but not because of our players

He hasn't been healthy in the past 3 years!!! If you think he'd be more valuable as 3 & D guy for this team, wow, just wow. How many live Pels game have you attended?
    Please tell me how Gordon's skillset exceeds the offensive skillset of either Tyreke or Jrue. Maybe when he first came to the team, he had a more complete offensive game than Tyreke. Now he is not as efficient as he used to be getting to the basket, he can't dribble, and he can't create his own jump shot. His current skillset fits the profile of what could be a prolific catch and shoot 3 point shooter if he accepts that role. That's exactly what you need when both Tyreke and Jrue have the ability to get to the rim at will. He won't be more value in a statistical sense but he would be much more valuable to this team. What would you rather, Gordon make the all star team or the Pels make the playoffs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric is that you?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Well when someone starts questioning your fanhood over a difference in opinion, you know you've won the argument.

But to indulge you, I've seen every game EG played for us. I rushed home from jobs to see his first games back from injury. I argued (Stupidly, may I add) that he and Harden would have similar impact with Rockets fans after Harden was traded. I know Eric Gordon. I also know he's not the player he was with the Clippers and likely won't ever be again. He isn't blowing by anyone or throwing down facials. He's an average starting guard who was (very unfortunately for the Pels and especially him) robbed of his burst. Until he adjusts the way he plays the game and accepts he is no longer THE guy but he can be A guy he won't help anyone.

If you argue with me further bring something other than "YOU SURE HAVEN'T WATCHED A LOT OF GAMES HAVE YA". You're wasting your time.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 07-25-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Gordon I think is probably our best offensive guard. He's so terrible at defense and offering any rebounding at all, though, that he gives it all back. He's a negative player for us.

I like Eric Gordon I think he can be big for us given the opportunity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Gordon I think is probably our best offensive guard. He's so terrible at defense and offering any rebounding at all, though, that he gives it all back. He's a negative player for us.
    Best spot-up shooting guard. And maybe best at drawing FT's. Maybe. But offense also includes off the dribble shooting, making plays for others, and other aspects of the game. I wouldn't say he is a better offensive player than Tyreke. Maybe Jrue if he can get back to 90% of what he was with the Clippers. But Tyreke is a force on the offensive end that Gordon will never be again.

I think he's gonna be that good this season that we'll be begging him to pick up dat player option next season.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    I think he's gonna be that good this season that we'll be begging him to pick up dat player option next season.
    I am forcing myself to bite the bullet as long as he is still a member of the Pels, but no matter how well he performs, he is just too redundant and we can put the money to much better use.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    we can put the money to much better use.....
    ^^This

Gordon lost weight and will be more explosive. Plus he says hes finally healthy. Im praying we get the gordon we expected to get

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Gordon lost weight and will be more explosive. Plus he says hes finally healthy. Im praying we get the gordon we expected to get
    We've heard all this before. He doesn't deserve benefit of a doubt.

Prayers are about it.

Thread Information