Pelicans Report

Thread: pelicans and the D-league

pelicans and the D-league

anyone got any intel on what the team's timetable/plans are for a dedicated D-league team? seems like the NBA is moving towards a real farm team set up with ideally every team having its own affiliate. any rumors about the bensons buying a team?

from wiki:

Ownership models vary across the NBA D-League. Independent owners control most of the league’s teams, but growing willingness among NBA organizations to invest in the D-League has led to two other models: direct ownership of D-League teams by parent NBA clubs and single-affiliate partnerships in which the D-League team remains independently owned while the parent club runs and finances basketball operations.
    i wonder what the franchise fee is...
    anyone want to kickstart it?

Quote Originally Posted by cgrand View Post
    anyone want to kickstart it?
    Haha, I'm down
    Lebron James >>>>>>>>>>>> Omer Asik

I imagine it can't be too expensive for owners since each player only gets like 25k a year.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

One thing I noticed is the pels really don't send any players to the D-league why is that?

1-6

they dont have a team
    they share fort wayne with a dozen or so other teams...only so many players they can take

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    One thing I noticed is the pels really don't send any players to the D-league why is that?
    Like the poster above me said, they share a D-League team. That means they have no say in what kind of offense or defense is run, what players should be given playtime and what roles they should be placed in, etc. It doesn't really help them much unless they have a guy who just needs some general experience.

Now, our Pels pay attention to the D-League for potential call-ups so they haven't forgotten about it. Just not as useful to them without a dedicated team.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Miller spent time in D- league.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrand View Post
    they dont have a team
    they share fort wayne with a dozen or so other teams...only so many players they can take
    I could have swore it was the Iowa energy. Because they came down to Tulane and had tryouts and everything

Iowa belongs to the grizz
    ft Wayne is the only unaffiliated team, shared by every team without one

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    I vaguely remember Hugh Weber saying a local, direct D-league affiliate to the then-Hornets was one of the team's long-term goals. But that was before Benson, and I don't think they've said anything on the subject since, unfortunately.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Miller spent time in D- league.
    Miller and Jackson are the only players I can recall in Demps/Williams tenure that was sent to the dleague. Pierre never even got to play for us lol

The primary benefit from the DLeague right now is training coaching and front office personnel, and running experiments like Houston does by having their DLeauge team play with an extreme 3 and rim attack focus. Hopefully they'll change the CBA in 2017 to make DLeauge a more worthwhile investment for teams so you can actually stash and develop players, but for now they typically lose you money without providing much benefit.

Thread Information