Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Farewell to the Chief... Aminu signs w/ Mavs

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I'm not saying Aminu will develop into a consistent NBA starter, but he certainly brings some things to the table when he's playing hard. If, and it's a big if, he could develop his shooting, he could get quality minutes for a good team. It's hardly unheard of for lousy shooters to get better over the course of their careers (see Jason Kidd). Signing Aminu for the minimum and taking a chance on some further growth in his game is a solid move by the Mavs. But yeah, he's no Matrix...
    You don't think we tried to develop Aminu's shooting? I don't care how many years of college ball he had, the dude has had 4 full seasons in the NBA. Although his overall stats have increased, has he ever really gotten better/improved, or just got increased minutes? He offense is horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE. If he's not within 3 feet of the basket he will miss his shot 2/3 of the time, that's poo. His is clumsy/awkward on offense, almost Juju-like, which results in dumb turnovers.

Defensively he has always been very solid but last year I thought he took a step back. Don't know if it was just a 1 year lapse or what not but I just didn't see him be the defender he was in the past. Rebounding he's a beast for a SF, that and his athleticism are his only good attributes. I said this in another thread, if the Mavs plan on bringing him off the bench and give him 10-15mpg I think he will be a solid player for them. Any more playing time than that and they are going to be just as frustrated as many of us were.

If Aminu was on a team the past 4 seasons that didn't need a starting SF, maybe we would be able to relate to him more as a bench energy guy that I think he will be in Dallas.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-24-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: quoted wrong person

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    You don't think we tried to develop Aminu's shooting? I don't care how many years of college ball he had, the dude has had 4 full seasons in the NBA. Although his overall stats have increased, has he ever really gotten better/improved, or just got increased minutes? He offense is horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE. If he's not within 3 feet of the basket he will miss his shot 2/3 of the time, that's poo. His is clumsy/awkward on offense, almost Juju-like, which results in dumb turnovers.

Defensively he has always been very solid but last year I thought he took a step back. Don't know if it was just a 1 year lapse or what not but I just didn't see him be the defender he was in the past. Rebounding he's a beast for a SF, that and his athleticism are his only good attributes. I said this in another thread, if the Mavs plan on bringing him off the bench and give him 10-15mpg I think he will be a solid player for them. Any more playing time than that and they are going to be just as frustrated as many of us were.

If Aminu was on a team the past 4 seasons that didn't need a starting SF, maybe we would be able to relate to him more as a bench energy guy that I think he will be in Dallas.
    If I cared, I'd point out that he actually shot 45% from 10-16ft. That's better than AD from that range.

I'd also point out that he averaged 1.5 TOs a game. This was less than AD averaged a game.

Good thing I don't care enough to point out the hypocrisy and hatred, which doesn't make sense, some fans have for certain players.

Unlike JW, at least Aminu cares about getting better at basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If I cared, I'd point out that he actually shot 45% from 10-16ft. That's better than AD from that range.

I'd also point out that he averaged 1.5 TOs a game. This was less than AD averaged a game.

Good thing I don't care enough to point out the hypocrisy and hatred, which doesn't make sense, some fans have for certain players.
    So you don't care, but you had to respond? lol

Keep cherry picking your points that's fine. You forgot to mention he shot 31% from 3-10ft and 32% from 16to 3pt. AND that over his career he shot 29% from 10-16ft and maybe just maybe, the 1 year he shot that 45% from 10-16ft wasn't the norm?

Are you really trying to compare the amount of touches Aminu gets to Davis? REALLY? I don't think you are that clueless. OF COURSE the person who touches the ball 3 times more a game is going to have more turnovers.

I point out positives and negative about a player, said I see him being a solid player this year but I hate him yep that's it. Can't say anything negative about someone Mythorl is upset we didn't resign.

good post. I agree 100%

So you don't care, but you had to respond? lol

Keep cherry picking your points that's fine. You forgot to mention he shot 31% from 3-10ft and 32% from 16to 3pt. AND that over his career he shot 29% from 10-16ft and maybe just maybe, the 1 year he shot that 45% from 10-16ft wasn't the norm?

Are you really trying to compare the amount of touches Aminu gets to Davis? REALLY? I don't think you are that clueless. OF COURSE the person who touches the ball 3 times more a game is going to have more turnovers.

I point out positives and negative about a player, said I see him being a solid player this year but I hate him yep that's it. Can't say anything negative about someone Mythorl is upset we didn't resign.
    Nope. Not cherry picking because as pointed out I don't care. I was simply pointing out facts. They can be interpreted however anyone wants.

Nope. Not cherry picking because as pointed out I don't care. I was simply pointing out facts. They can be interpreted however anyone wants.
    That's fine but point out all the facts not just the 1 that helps your point, hence cherry picking. Also the stat that you pointed out, Aminu took 4% of his shots from there last year. Beyond 3ft, he's bad, that's just plain true.

That's fine but point out all the facts not just the 1 that helps your point, hence cherry picking. Also the stat that you pointed out, Aminu took 4% of his shots from there last year. Beyond 3ft, he's bad, that's just plain true.

That wasn't the point. You made two statements that weren't true.

1) everywhere outside of 3ft he missed 2/3rds of the time.

Untrue. Amount of shots taken there is irrelevant. Between 10-16ft he was 45%.

2) he had horrible handles and turned the ball over on offense.

I was pointing out he averaged less TO per game than AD. Nothing I said was false or even deceitful. I mentioned specific facts because you brought up specific points. Like I said. I don't care enough to make an argument for Aminu. Just posting facts.

Well, even more than his shot I don't think any objective observer would argue that Aminu has the handle to be a starting NBA SF. And I don't think he can develop that at this stage. He was an athletic PF in college and that's what he should try to be in the pros. Maybe get up to 225 or 230 and be kind of an AD-lite. I'm surprised a run and gun squad like the Warriors didn't try to sign him. He'd be perfect for them.

The Warriors aren't run & gun right now. They have a relatively slow paced offense and do most of their damage in the half-court, iirc.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Well, even more than his shot I don't think any objective observer would argue that Aminu has the handle to be a starting NBA SF. And I don't think he can develop that at this stage. He was an athletic PF in college and that's what he should try to be in the pros. Maybe get up to 225 or 230 and be kind of an AD-lite. I'm surprised a run and gun squad like the Warriors didn't try to sign him. He'd be perfect for them.
    I really think he would thrive in a run and gun system. He would be a plus defender, and if he had shooters around him as a small ball power forward, I think he could be really good. I just think he is wrong for this team.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

i'm certain this has been said before, but if the chief somehow becomes a weapon of any sort in dallas, we will know quite a bit more then about the player-development skills of our coaching staff, and it wont be good

Quote Originally Posted by cgrand View Post
    i'm certain this has been said before, but if the chief somehow becomes a weapon of any sort in dallas, we will know quite a bit more then about the player-development skills of our coaching staff, and it wont be good
    Depends on how he succeeds. If it as a small-ball big, then it says nothing about our staff since that opportunity hasn't really existed here for him.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

matching skills with opportunities is big part of player development
    and i agree with you, his future is as a PF on small-ball lineups, with shooters and ball handlers around him
    on the other hand, he could be playing in europe next year
    we shall see...

I wonder if we even tried to sign him considering that he went for such a low number. I think he could be really decent coming off the bench with a combination of shooters like Ryan Anderson, Luke Babbitt, John Salmons, Jimmer Fredette, and even Austin Rivers. I always said that I didn't like him as a starter, but I could live with him coming off the bench.

Well you can add him to Julian Wright as players we had that had supreme athleticism, but just couldn't put it all together on the court. I wish him luck, but the change of scenery better not have him playing like we all wanted him to here like Marco Belinelli!

That wasn't the point. You made two statements that weren't true.

Untrue. Amount of shots taken there is irrelevant. Between 10-16ft he was 45%.

I was pointing out he averaged less TO per game than AD. Nothing I said was false or even deceitful. I mentioned specific facts because you brought up specific points. Like I said. I don't care enough to make an argument for Aminu. Just posting facts.
    Honestly trying to figure out if you are serious or just trolling at this point. I think I know your problem. You read something and then aruge with a different point all together.

What you said:
    What I said :

If he's not within 3 feet of the basket he will miss his shot 2/3 of the time
    Fact to back up what I said: Aminu's average last year from shots beyond 3 feet was 33.95% (it gets worse every other year and over his career overall). So yeah it's pretty damn accurate to say outside of 3ft he missed 2/3 of his shot

What you said:

What I said:

is clumsy/awkward on offense and results in dumb turnovers
    Nothing about quantity. Stop trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I remember a stretch last year where AD was hurt and we used AFA primarily at the 4 in his place and he did great from what I remember. Maybe like a 7 game stretch or so? That was always the problem with Aminu, he would have a 1-2 week span where you were like what the hell! Yeah! and then a 1 month span where you were like WHAT THE HELL!

Thread Information