Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to the Chief... Aminu signs w/ Mavs

Is there a highlights package of Aminu on Youtube? Or is that an oxymoron?

I understand why people are happy to see him go.

Personally, I also understand that our line-up desperately needs a shooter at SF ecspecially since our PG and SG are not 'pure' shooters and can drive.

But the coach in me, undoubtedly doesn't want to see him go. It's nice to have guys with everything you can't coach-- cause it tantalizes one to do their best and coach em up; whereas a total baller develops.

Geez, he's 23. David West scored 6.2 ppg and had 4.3 rpg at that age. Last year Aminu had 7.2 and 6.2.

There's no comparison in the two, but it will not be surprising to me when he has a break-through season in Dallas while surrounded by a bunch of shooters........ like West did when he hit 24 and raised it to 17.1 and 7.4.

I see Aminu having an 11 and 9 type of year.... but we will still stomp their arse

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

No need for Aminu. 27% from 3pointland and 66 percent from the free throw line.

John Salmons was .38 from 3 point and .73 from free throw line. Salmons has more assists and less turnovers. His rebounding is low but that's why we have Jrue, Reke, Davis, Asik etc. bye bye Aminu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we've all been enamored by his potential the past 3 years, and we need to cut bait and let him go. He just doesn't bring enough to the table for us to help our team anymore (rebounding being his strength, and also less of a need since signing Asik).

Perhaps he can find his niche in Dallas, maybe he'd be a good small ball 4 off the bench for them with Dirk, who knows.

I liked him because of his defensive potential, lateral quickness and length (Also because I remember how terrible we were defensively at the wing until Ariza showed up in 2010), but he doesn't give enough on that end to make up for his almost complete lack of offense.

All the best Chief, hope you do well for yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

No need for Aminu. 27% from 3pointland and 66 percent from the free throw line.

John Salmons was .38 from 3 point and .73 from free throw line. Salmons has more assists and less turnovers. His rebounding is low but that's why we have Jrue, Reke, Davis, Asik etc. bye bye Aminu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best photo ever

Big Chief was my favorite Pelican last year. He was also the worst.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Are people actually annoyed at the fact he left us? I've been waiting three years for this day. No more bricks or out of control layups.
    if you prefer salmons and darius miller your nuts
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    When I heard this news, it was one of my greatest memories as a Pelicans fan.

I'd rather have Aminu than Miller.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    No more Aminu OR Roberts... could MontyBall finally be over!?!?

loljk

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by groundpatty View Post
    No more Aminu OR Roberts... could MontyBall finally be over!?!?

loljk
    He'll find a way.

BTW, I STILL love your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    He'll find a way.

BTW, I STILL love your sig.
    I'm loving that avi

1-6

Actually, at league minimum, I would have been fine retaining him. It was the ridiculous move of paying him $3.7 million for what he offered that was the problem. At league minimum, he could provide rebounding and decent defense off the bench.

Jason Smith last three seasons, 40, 51 and 31 games, injury prone. He will never stay healthy. Roberts, really no need to discuss. Aminu, really no need to discuss. Morrow is the only player we will even remotely miss.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Aminu to the Mavs means jack all.
    Roberts to the Hornets means jack all.
    Morrow to the Thunder is great. He will help them.
    Smith to the Knicks of great. He will help them.

No more WTF plays from Aminu. ...good luck Cuban...lol

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I was sure we would split with Aminu this offseason but seeing him get the Min. In the division kinda sucks. He was bad here because he can't play with Reke and now Asik. You basically had to have Anderson and Davis out there with him to make up for his spacing issues, but I could see him doing fairly well there in a limited role.

That being said, I've seen some Mavs fans call him a "Marion replacement"... They've got a rude awakening. Even Marion last year was leagues above Al. Aminu has 0 bball IQ and Marion's is keeping him in the league.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 07-24-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I'm loving that avi
    Thanks. I was looking for something that said "please don't take me that seriously".

Aminu will kill spacing in Dallas just as he did here.

Championship..pels
    SIGN A SF

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    Thank goodness. I swear I held my breath every time he touched the basketball.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shanetrain93 View Post
    Thank goodness. I swear I held my breath every time he touched the basketball.
    You weren't the only one.

I may be in a minority, but I really think you need to allow for a longer time horizon on these guys like Rivers and Aminu that come into the league after one year of college ball. I'm not saying Aminu will develop into a consistent NBA starter, but he certainly brings some things to the table when he's playing hard. If, and it's a big if, he could develop his shooting, he could get quality minutes for a good team. It's hardly unheard of for lousy shooters to get better over the course of their careers (see Jason Kidd). Signing Aminu for the minimum and taking a chance on some further growth in his game is a solid move by the Mavs. But yeah, he's no Matrix...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I may be in a minority, but I really think you need to allow for a longer time horizon on these guys like Rivers and Aminu that come into the league after one year of college ball. I'm not saying Aminu will develop into a consistent NBA starter, but he certainly brings some things to the table when he's playing hard. If, and it's a big if, he could develop his shooting, he could get quality minutes for a good team. It's hardly unheard of for lousy shooters to get better over the course of their careers (see Jason Kidd). Signing Aminu for the minimum and taking a chance on some further growth in his game is a solid move by the Mavs. But yeah, he's no Matrix...
    Many of these guys that need more development require the right situation. Had he been drafted by a team that was already in the playoffs and could bring him along slowly to develop, it would have been more advantageous to his career.

With us & the Clippers however, we needed him to start.

I honestly think that Aminu was one of the guys who was harmed th r most by all of the injuries we had last year. I think with a healthy team he would have been fine.

I remember a stretch of games in Jan/Feb where threads started popping up talking about needing to hold on to Aminu.

I think a change of scenery will do him good.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    With Aminu the problem is unless he can develop his shooting he has little value to our team because of Tyreke's pivotal role and need of shooters. If Tyreke had a better shot then Aminu would be fine as a bench guy to come in and attack the rim, grab boards and play short bursts of defense. Franky I'd rather see him go elsewhere and then go after him later down the line if he somehow learns to shoot. Frankly though I think he has been this eras Julian Wright.

Thread Information