Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pelicans Botched Rebuilding around Anthony Davis?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    To the writer's credit... he did have some good replies to Kumar (and others) without jumping on the defensive about his writing.

For that... I respect him. Don't agree with him... but I respect him.
    Yeah, he wasn't a total deeb, but he is jumpin' on that Jimmy Smith Express to Pelihate. Anyone who thinks robin lopez is a defensive savior needs to be evaluated. He's a good stop gap, but Asik >>>>>>>>>>> R Lopez

Yeah I think I was a bit harsh on him to begin with

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    I honestly think this guy is related to Jimmy Smith. At least he defends his writing, but he's lacking a bit in knowledge and letting the national media and people like Bill Simmons brainwash him. I guarantee he doesn't know any details about Robin Lopez or Omer Asik. Just says what seems right in his head. "Unknown quantities are great!"

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Yeah I think I was a bit harsh on him to begin with
    Honesty I don't think you were. To be honest he doesn't really know what he's talking about. I appreciate him trying to comeback but it's mainly just opinions and they aren't very good ones. Good post!

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Yeah, he wasn't a total deeb, but he is jumpin' on that Jimmy Smith Express to Pelihate. Anyone who thinks robin lopez is a defensive savior needs to be evaluated. He's a good stop gap, but Asik >>>>>>>>>>> R Lopez
    Yeah LOL. Mentioned Lopez had a franchise-best offensive rebounding season. Whoopty doo. Still can't move his feet on defense, which KILLED us when he was here. Anybody that thinks Lopez is a better player "grit" than Asik either hates us, or doesn't really follow their game, or both.

No one wanted Lopez when we got him from the Suns. There's a reason his deal was 3 years 15 million with the 2nd and 3rd years as un-guaranteed. He played decent for us and then pretty well for the Blazers, where I think he's a perfect fit. However, I don't see how anyone that actually watches him play could still call him a defensive anchor. He was a stop gap.

Everyone is enamored with the Thunder model because that's what happens when pretty much all of your picks reach their ceilings. But the Thunder model isn't going to continue much longer. Theirs was more to do with luck than anything else. They keep letting their veterans go in free agency and hope that their draft picks can continue to pick up the slack. All it is doing now is killing their depth by trying to save pennies.

If AD continues to improve, then this team is going deep, probably as soon as this year... especially if the team is healthy. We already saw AD carry the team with almost no help as they went 9-3 in March (all 3 losses to playoff teams) until he suffered back spasms... after that point the team went 2-8.

Let's not ignore that Lopez is about the same amount better on offense as Asik is better on defense.

This team needs Asik more than it would need Lopez but Rolo was not a scrub like people are saying.

Ignoring that he was part of the Trade to get Reke, if there was some way to keep a 1st rounder and have Rolo and be able to flip other assets for a PJ Tucker type SF instead of Asik, I think that's a valid argument for that path.

A 3 man rotation of AD, Rolo, Ryno is still pretty solid. Plus having the extra 1st to use as a trade chip for something else isn't awful.

I think the Trade that we lost Rolo in is one of the most controversial trades for the team. I certainly like that we have Tyreke and now have Asik. But I can understand looking st that one trade and thinking there was another path.

However, I don't think we have rushed anything and would still prefer our team as built than having all of our picks back.

the pelicans are going to be a team to be reckoned with this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Ignoring that he was part of the Trade to get Reke, if there was some way to keep a 1st rounder and have Rolo and be able to flip other assets for a PJ Tucker type SF instead of Asik, I think that's a valid argument for that path.
    So you're saying Rolo + unknown 1st round pick + a "PJ Tucker type SF" (which we'd have to give up other assets for) >>Omer Asik?

I can see where people would be on both sides of this argument, but I'll fall on the side of Asik on this one. When we have to play the Spurs (or any other team for that matter deep in the playoffs) they'd pick-n-roll Rolo to a sweep of that playoff series. Weaknesses get exposed in the playoffs and that is a glaring weakness of his. And I don't see the unknown 1st round pick or the PJ Tucker type SF making any difference. You could make an argument that you could turn that unknown 1st round pick into a great P&R defensive center, but that's going WAY out on a limb and that guy wouldn't be on the roster until next summer at the earliest.

I'd rather take my shot with Asik.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    So you're saying Rolo + unknown 1st round pick + a "PJ Tucker type SF" (which we'd have to give up other assets for) >>Omer Asik?

I can see where people would be on both sides of this argument, but I'll fall on the side of Asik on this one. When we have to play the Spurs (or any other team for that matter deep in the playoffs) they'd pick-n-roll Rolo to a sweep of that playoff series. Weaknesses get exposed in the playoffs and that is a glaring weakness of his. And I don't see the unknown 1st round pick or the PJ Tucker type SF making any difference. You could make an argument that you could turn that unknown 1st round pick into a great P&R defensive center, but that's going WAY out on a limb and that guy wouldn't be on the roster until next summer at the earliest.

I'd rather take my shot with Asik.
    I'm simply saying that there is an argument that could be made for that.

I don't care to go into extreme amount of details because the simple fact is we had to move Rolo as part of the Tyreke trade. If would have done it without him, we would have.

It's really the only move (outside of the Salmons signing which is so insignificant that it doesn't matter) that I can personally question that Dell has made. I do the Jrue trade all day. I don't like it but I totally understand matching the Gordon offer. I think the Asik trade is an A move this off-season.

The Reke trade is the only that I question partially because Rolo, Gravy, and extra cap space would be very good for our team depth. With the glaring hole at SF I think you could argue that it's an option. Personally I still prefer getting Reke.

It's really just an alternative way of building the team. I can see the argument for that. But I can't see the argument that we failed our rebuild. I think few teams have as much future potential as we do.

We won't know if we succeed or failed until after this season. As someone who would have perfered a slower rebuild I understand that wasn't really an option for Demps as the guy cutting the checks made that call. Unfortunately I think all our chips are in on this up coming year. If we miss the playoffs we could be looking at potentially another rebuild depending on what ownership does with management.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    No team who's top players are all under 28 have all their chips on the table.

Bravo, Kumar. Bravo.

Thread Information