Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Davis: I like playing the 4

But I do hope once AD physically matures, he will end up being a full-time center.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    Never understood this reasoning. He hasn't matched up with the opposing center all game and suddenly, you're going to completely change the playsets and flow of the game at the end of every 4th quarter?

Give me asik and AD all game. Ryno's a great 6th man, but y'all are a little too hung up on the dude if you like him so much you want AD to play a position he doesn't want to play in crucial moments of the game.
    Anderson is the 2nd best player on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    Never understood this reasoning. He hasn't matched up with the opposing center all game and suddenly, you're going to completely change the playsets and flow of the game at the end of every 4th quarter?

Give me asik and AD all game. Ryno's a great 6th man, but y'all are a little too hung up on the dude if you like him so much you want AD to play a position he doesn't want to play in crucial moments of the game.
    They're multiple reasons why. For one, Asik isn't a good free throw shooter and secondly it allows Monty to have his best players on the floor to finish close games. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Ryno does absolutely nothing better than anybody else on this team aside from shooting. He is not the 2nd best player on the Pels.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That sounds like an awful idea. Trusting your 21 yr old superstar to know th r best way to play the game is kind of silly.

I'm all for listening to him and taking how he feels into consideration but if he starts asking to play PG are you still up for letting him do whatever he wants?

Josh Smith likes to shoot jumpers. Is it a good idea to let him jack them up? I'm sorry. I much prefer Monty coach and AD being willing to trust the coaching staff.

Like I said. Everyone wants to shoot jumpers now. But that doesn't mean that's the best for this team.
    He's not asking to play PG he's asking to play PF, which just so happens to be the position he likes and obviously what the head coach thinks is best for him or he wouldn't have brought in Asik. So trusting that those don't know what's best is kind of silly.

That's fine, but I expect him to play both close to equally. He's the guy who can credibly play both well in the 3 man rotation. You have 96 minutes for bigs. If my choice is play Davis at the 5 or crowd out Ryan Anderson for Aijinca, that isn't even a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Ryno is not better than Jrue or Tyreke, no way no how.

It goes:

AD
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    Ryno
    Gordon
    Asik

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post

It goes:

AD
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    Ryno
    Gordon
    Asik
    By Mid-season I have a feeling you may be putting Asik right up there with Reke/Jrue.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

It goes:

AD
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    Ryno
    Gordon
    Asik
    I'll say this, and I absolutely love Ryno. As a player and he seems awesome as a person too. But I just might even put put Gordon above him. Gordon fully healthy.... Pretty good. So I guess I'd say:

AD
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    Gordon
    Ryno
    Asik

But that's not AT ALL a knock against Ryno. It's just that if FULLY HEALTHY, this team is stacked like crazy.

Coach:"AD, you will be playing more at PF than you have"
    AD:"Okay, I will say the right thing to the media."
    Fans: "AD is not a center"

It doesn't matter what he wants. Even if it's not lip service. The "position" doesn't matter. Him being put in the best role to ensure wins does. Does that mean he's a power forward or a center? Who cares? Personally, if there was no decent option behind him at "center" then he would be the center. If there is a worse option at power forward, then he plays power forward. Whatever helps us win. Personally, under most circumstances, I think we'll be at our best with Ryno and AD on the court at the same time, whatever that means in terms of positions. Does that mean that's what Monty does? No. Does that mean that's what AD would prefer? No. But I don't care either of those things so long as we're talking about hypothetically making the team better.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    I'll say this, and I absolutely love Ryno. As a player and he seems awesome as a person too. But I just might even put put Gordon above him. Gordon fully healthy.... Pretty good. So I guess I'd say:

AD
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    Gordon
    Ryno
    Asik

But that's not AT ALL a knock against Ryno. It's just that if FULLY HEALTHY, this team is stacked like crazy.
    Yup ?I can't argue with that at all, talent wise gordon might be over tyreke, i was just putting it how I think they play this season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    AD is a natural power forward. He should get most of his minutes at this position because that is what best suits his game.

Banned
    He will avoid a lot of ankle injuries if he stays there.

Anthony Davis = Tim Duncan
    IE: C/PF

C

It goes:

AD
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    Ryno
    Gordon
    Asik
    He's not better than Gordon either.

Gordon followed by Holiday are the best overall players on the team. Davis has weaknesses in his game which really is scary. When Davis' game becomes complete, he will be one of the top three players in the league. AD needs a post game and play better defense. All three can play any style or any system which seperates them from the rest. The others are role players. Evans is best suited for an open court play for example.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Gordon followed by Holiday are the best overall players on the team. Davis has weaknesses in his game which really is scary. When Davis' game becomes complete, he will be one of the top three players in the league. AD needs a post game and play better defense. All three can play any style or any system which seperates them from the rest. The others are role players. Evans is best suited for an open court play for example.
    Did you watch last season? This isn't clippers' Eric Gordon. He's probably the 6th best player and 100% the 6th most important.

Edit: Just to add on... How can you say overall? Eric Gordon only scores and does nothing else. And he didn't even score that well last year. AD does so many things and even though he can obviously improve he is definitely already the best player.

It goes:

AD
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    Ryno
    Gordon
    Asik
    Look at the stats and efficiency numbers. Ryan is clearly number 2 when healthy just like AD is clearly number one. Don't let your eyes deceive you. Look at the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Sorry but you must be a troll. No one in their right mind would believe this.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrand View Post
    Anthony Davis = Anthony Davis
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    He's not asking to play PG he's asking to play PF, which just so happens to be the position he likes and obviously what the head coach thinks is best for him or he wouldn't have brought in Asik. So trusting that those don't know what's best is kind of silly.
    He's not asking to play anything. He's making a statement of what position he likes. He obviously will play whatever position. Before Ryno went down he actually spent more minutes at C than PF.

The point I was making was you never turn the entire team philosophy to your 21 year old star. If the coaches agree that he is best at PF this season that's fine. Let's see how many seasons they feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

AD
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    Gordon
    Ryno
    Asik

I might be in the minority here, but I have Tyreke over Jrue. My list would look like:

AD
    Tyreke
    Jrue
    EG
    Ryno
    Asik

Jrue and Tyreke are really close, but when Reke is on fire he is unstoppable.

Tyreke is horrible without floor spacing... and what better floor spacer is there than Ryan Anderson?

Ryno is easily (EASILY) the 2nd most important player on the team even if he isn't the 2nd most talented. And EG literally makes everyone he plays with worse so I don't even know why he's being brought up

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Tyreke is horrible without floor spacing... and what better floor spacer is there than Ryan Anderson?

Ryno is easily (EASILY) the 2nd most important player on the team even if he isn't the 2nd most talented. And EG literally makes everyone he plays with worse so I don't even know why he's being brought up
    This post is spot on.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He's not asking to play anything. He's making a statement of what position he likes. He obviously will play whatever position. Before Ryno went down he actually spent more minutes at C than PF.

The point I was making was you never turn the entire team philosophy to your 21 year old star. If the coaches agree that he is best at PF this season that's fine. Let's see how many seasons they feel that way.
    You said "if he starts asking to play PG" well he's not asking to do that. He's stating what position he likes to play, that combined with what the HC thinks is not turning the entire team over to a 21 year old.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-24-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Thread Information