Pelicans Report

Thread: Casspi 'expects' to be waived prior to August 1 when his deal becomes guaranteed

Casspi 'expects' to be waived prior to August 1 when his deal becomes guaranteed

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1607/omri-casspi
    Omri Casspi - G/F - Pelicans

Omri Casspi expects the Pelicans to waive him prior to August 1, when his $1.1 million deal would become guaranteed.
    Casspi is a career 35.2 percent 3-point shooter and his minimum contract is reasonable, but apparently New Orleans doesn't feel that he'd add much to their roster. "My agent is talking with a number of teams and the Kings are one of them," Casspi said. "Couldn’t they use a stretch forward who can hit a three and loves to run? ... I would love to come back [to Sacramento] and fulfill my path. But now I have to concentrate on the [Israeli] national team."
    SIGN A SF

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Hopefully Salmons proves me wrong but I personally would have rathered Casspi. After reading a few of his tweets though, I can see how some may say he's a PIA.

The decision was Casspi or Miller. Not Casspi or Salmons. But either way, give me Salmons over Casspi. We were looking for 3 things, or at least I was - catch and shoot 3-pt shooting, corner 3-pt shooting, and defense against wings - Salmons wins in all categories.

Casspi vs. Miller is closer for me, but for experience and locker room purposes, I would go with Miller by a nose there too
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The decision was Casspi or Miller. Not Casspi or Salmons. But either way, give me Salmons over Casspi. We were looking for 3 things, or at least I was - catch and shoot 3-pt shooting, corner 3-pt shooting, and defense against wings - Salmons wins in all categories.

Casspi vs. Miller is closer for me, but for experience and locker room purposes, I would go with Miller by a nose there too
    What were your thoughts on James Ham's saying that John Salmons is a good defender? It caught me off guard a little bit, but he would know after watching him for a while.

He said above average, not good. Which would be higher than I'd put him. At 34 years old I would have said below-average. Consider that I maybe only watched 4-5 Raptors games last year though. I have to say I enjoyed that podcast though.

Why hasn't he been cut already? It's not like he'd need the team's help to trade him anywhere since he's a minimum guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Why hasn't he been cut already? It's not like he'd need the team's help to trade him anywhere since he's a minimum guy.
    Yeah not quite sure what's taking so long.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    For what we need I'd take Salmons and wouldn't have to think about it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    From what I remember in past seasons when Salmons was productive as a starter he did have a rep for being a good defender and also being a good play maker/passer. Even though he is older, I wouldn't be surprised if he kept some of these traits to a good degree because they are largely for the most part cerebral. Based on this, I can see why this staff likes him because the passing, defense and being able to play multiple positions seem to be apart of the focal point for Monty's system.

Shane Battier was 100 years old and still playing good defense. Defense is all about your will and attitude... age has nothing to do with it. Sure your age will take some of your athleticism, but players that have played good defense know how to compensate.

Not saying that Salmons is the same type of defender... just ruling out "age" as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Shane Battier was 100 years old and still playing good defense. Defense is all about your will and attitude... age has nothing to do with it. Sure your age will take some of your athleticism, but players that have played good defense know how to compensate.

Not saying that Salmons is the same type of defender... just ruling out "age" as an excuse.
    Here here. I would go out and sign Bruce Bowen tomorrow if he would sign.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

Battier and Bowen were great all nba down defenders before they aged. To me Salmons in his prime was at best an average defender. In that sense aging should have an affect. As long as he plays 10-15min per game this really shouldn't matter, but if I had a choice between the 2, I'm taking Casspi. I do understand the reasons people with not wanting Casspi though.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-23-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    So I'm guessing we gave him permission to talk to these other teams right? Otherwise admitting to talking to other teams would be interesting.

Thanks for always giving 110%.

HE GONE

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/pel...ve-omri-casspi

NEW ORLEANS – The New Orleans Pelicans announced today that the team has waived forward Omri Casspi.

Casspi has appeared in 327 games (96 starts) over the course of five NBA seasons with Sacramento, Cleveland and Houston, holding career averages of 7.7 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 20.7 minutes per game.

And the legend of Casspi ends.....

Banned
    I always thought he'd be better. If he were stronger...Maybe.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Omri Casspi appreciation thread.
    @DanielVeuleman

casspi

we loved you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Omri Casspi appreciation thread.
    Hopson

Casspi

your time as Pelicans will never be forgotten
    Last edited by rt0307; 07-23-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: to correct name
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    Hopkins

Casspi

your time as Pelicans will never be forgotten
    you already forgot one of their names.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Wish we held on to him... cheaper and better than salmons. Has been a solid contributor to kings bench thus far

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Wish we held on to him... cheaper and better than salmons. Has been a solid contributor to kings bench thus far
    The Kings are another scrappy team out west to worry about. I don't think we are going to be able to pull off a trade to get a starting small forward or anything like that but we simply need more production from salmons and Babbit every now and then.

Thread Information