Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The PELICANS bench.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Now Asik will change the team, but I'm disappointed in Demps regarding all other pickups. We need O and D but we really need more help on D in the West. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish we got Tucker...

It isn't exactly about bad defense. When it comes to guys who won't be playing starters' minutes I'm more concerned with them being able to score. It's why the 6th man role is now instant offense, and most teams 7th or 8th players are generally shooters/scorers. Bench players aren't there to be your defensive stalwarts. How many good defenders are buried on benches in this league? Tony Allen is basically nothing as an offensive player, but sees major minutes because he's a great defender. It just isn't as important as you're making it out to be.

All of the top teams are good on D we have to improve.

I wanna see the team win as bad as y'all do. I think it makes sense. Hope is what u have. I see limited evidence....

The Monty experiment ends after this season if we miss the playoffs because we can't stop the offensive monsters in the west.

we are not a top team yet, and yes we need to improve our D. simplest thing to take away from all your posts. why get bogged down thinking about how **** we might be? season hasn't even started. I'm just looking forward to seeing our guys hit the court, look at who was playing when we ended last season.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Not all is lost but being a realist. The bench sucks on D and in the West we have to face offensive juggernauts like GSW CKIPPERS OKC TRAILBLAZERS. Defense wins these games. You can't win in a shootout against the Clippers or Portland or GSW. I'm just being honest.

One really positive thing Dell did was add Asik. Our rebounding was very poor compared to other teams.

Please enlighten me as to why you believe the benches of GS,OKC, Port, and the Clippers are so much better, who is it among their backups has you so worried the Pels can not contain them.
    Last edited by redrum; 07-23-2014 at 03:08 AM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Everything is horrible and all hope is lost. Nobody on our team is perfect and when they come out of the game we are doomed because the guys taking their place are even worse. Our bench players are worse than some of the other teams' starters. Our coach is not one of the 5 living that have won a championship. We should just give up now. And don't try to convince me that anything our team has ever done or will do in the future will help. In a minute I'll respond to myself and agree that I'm just being realistic.

Sincerely,

Eeyore

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cardbord robot 1.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	5675
    Last edited by Tin_Food; 07-23-2014 at 02:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I'm at a loss for words... Good night...

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    What in the bejesus is going on in this thread?

My hatred of the Pelicans is only strengthened by this watershed thread.

Zeig Heil!!

Ummmm wow I dont even know how to respond
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Our bench will not be a strength. We won't see improvement unless Young or Russ show they are really legit. Jimmer is Bryan Roberts at best. Rivers is a child in a man's league, miller hasn't proven anything and probably can't play in this league, Ajinca is a decent player but really slow, Whithey is not nba material. He's not gonna get better. Let's face it. Demps picked Russ and Pat young because they are cheap and could possibly make the bench better. However, there is a fair chance that when the real games start they don't do so well. We lost Morrow and Smith and Bryan Roberts. All of these guys were desired by other teams. Some of y'all might argue these guys are a dime a dozen and you might be right but for this season I'm not too sure this bench will do so well. We'll see.

Well aren’t you just a blooming flower of sunshine.

I guess we're all entitled to our opinions, just as long as we don't get confused as to the difference between "opinion" and "facts"

Banned
    I think we to give Jimmer a lot of minutes early on...in preseason. To see if this can even work. We can let his fans know if it is or isn't working. I'd rather give him a chance and argue PT because he is playing well (if he succeeds) rather than failing because he isn't getting minutes. We need to get as much evidence as soon as we can to see where he fits in. Let him make mistakes and mess up (or succeed). Lets just find out early.

I think if he plays well he has the ability to inspire.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Defense is a team thing anyway. So even if we aren't marching PJ Tucker with Kirk Hinrich and Taj Gibson and Luc Longley's ghost we can be better than awful. We don't need our bench to be lockdown. We need it to be competent. Not lose leads. And it should be solid offensively. Lotta shooters that can shrink deficits or expand leads.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Disagree, I like our bench a lot

Russ is NBA ready

Rivers if he improves like he did last year he will be plenty good enough just from his defense and 3pt shooting alone, not to mention his shot creating, passing, if he gets stronger and finishes at the rim he will be a monster

salmons or babbitt are fine

ryno might be the best bench player in the NBA

Ajinca is good enough
    I like our bench as well; completely disagree with OP
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    What in the bejesus is going on in this thread?
    OP venting like a maniac

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I don't think our bench is nearly as bad as you think it is, I actually like our bench. I honestly think the only thing you can pick at that we are missing off the pine is a big that has a low post game. Also looking by your other posts I think you are selling Rivers short. He's coming into his 3rd year now. He knows the NBA and he knows our system. Last year he improved from the season before. If this year he follows the same trend I don't think we can ask for much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Defense is a team thing anyway. So even if we aren't marching PJ Tucker with Kirk Hinrich and Taj Gibson and Luc Longley's ghost we can be better than awful. We don't need our bench to be lockdown. We need it to be competent. Not lose leads. And it should be solid offensively. Lotta shooters that can shrink deficits or expand leads.
    OK. You make a good point. I don't think what I have said is unfounded. I think my post should have said that most of the PELS defenders are below average and a team of mostly poor defenders will likely play poor defense overall. Y'all want to be positive and enjoy it I understand. Like I said, we will have no chance against the offensive powerhouses in the WEST if our defense does not improve in a real significant way. Y'all can mock me all day it won't change reality.

OK. You make a good point. I don't think what I have said is unfounded. I think my post should have said that most of the PELS defenders are below average and a team of mostly poor defenders will likely play poor defense overall. Y'all want to be positive and enjoy it I understand. Like I said, we will have no chance against the offensive powerhouses in the WEST if our defense does not improve in a real significant way. Y'all can mock me all day it won't change reality.

Portland was awful defensively, worse than NO, Sacramento, Milwaukee and etc. They became a playoff team by adding enough defense in Lopez to allow their high power offense to wear down the opposing squad.

Dallas was a lesser version of the same issue.

Now, neither of those teams was ever going to make serious runs in the playoffs, but they do show that efficient offense can win games with middling or even poor defense.

I also know that I much prefer watching Portland or Golden State compared with whatever the hell it was Indiana or Chicago were doing last year.

Are you considering that our bench will probably be playing against the other team's bench and not their starters??? If so, you'll see that our bench stacks up against most benches around the league...

this thread is what happens when posting on a forum becomes the same as texting your friends

Thread Information