Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Making the Playoffs

Three teams are going to make it no matter what. Seven teams are competing for five spots and luck will determine who makes it. We can analyze all day, but we can't predict the injuries and that will make the difference
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    You make some good points, but I guess if you aren't a Parsons fan I can understand your opinion. Chandler defensively is better than Dalembert. Parsons is a HUGE get for them. Felton and Lewis are just backups but both can score.

I just feel that at worst Dallas won't take a step backwards, which means right at 49 wins.
    "Did the Dallas Mavericks trade for damaged goods in Tyson Chandler?

It’s a legitimate question, just like it was four years ago. The Mavs hope the evidence to the contrary is just as conclusive as it was during Chandler’s first stint in Dallas.

During his last season in New York, Chandler didn’t really resemble the center who was such a critical piece to the 2011 Mavs’ championship puzzle, much less the 2012 Defensive Player of the Year or 2013 All-Star. His production in an injury-plagued season (averages of 8.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in only 55 games) was his worst since his lone season in Charlotte, just before the Mavs acquired Chandler in a salary-dump deal.

Yet Chandler, who turns 32 in October, has no doubt he can be the big man Mavs fans remember from four seasons ago. He’s physically healthy -- and hopes to stay that way with the help of the Mavs’ outstanding medical staff -- and mentally rejuvenated after the dysfunctional Knicks traded him back to Dallas.

“I think I can be better.” Chandler said during his conference call with Dallas reporters last month. “I finished the season healthy, so this summer I was able to start earlier. I took a couple of weeks off and then I already started getting back in the gym and improving things. I want to get back to thinking and moving the way I moved. I started correcting things mentally and physically. I was already looking forward to this summer because I felt like there was so many things I could improve on."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...ady-to-rebound

He played 55 games for the Knicks and they missed the playoffs. He does have an injury history. Dallas could just as easily make the playoffs as one of the other teams could miss it. Will depend, what teams can stay healthy.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-22-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Even if the entire Nuggets squad remains healthy, have them out of the playoff picture.

A team with 46 or fewer wins has made the playoffs in the Western Conference in 10 of the last 15 seasons. Only two times in those 15 seasons every team had at least 50 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    No team in the West will make the playoffs winning 46 games, so it is a mute point. The WC will be just as competitive if not more so, than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Three teams are going to make it no matter what. Seven teams are competing for five spots and luck will determine who makes it. We can analyze all day, but we can't predict the injuries and that will make the difference
    No team is guaranteed anything. Injury can take out the Spurs and they are logically the most injury proof team.

If we are assigning playoff spots health is a concern for all 30 teams. Injuries can be completely fluke like however guys tend to be more prone to injuries than other. If we are going so if we are trying to gauge for injuries it'll much more logically to base it on those who have a history of getting injured. Not just taking shots in the dark that because one team avoided many the previous year they are due the following year. Like there's some cosmic injury karma balancing out the injuries evenly among the teams.

DaThrone, I think he means three teams are going to make it no matter what because there are three divisions and division winners are always guaranteed a spot.

No, I mean that three teams -LAC, SA, and OKC are going to make it no matter what. Even if Parker gets hurt or KD or CP3. Those teams have the ability to win no matter what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    DaThrone, I think he means three teams are going to make it no matter what because there are three divisions and division winners are always guaranteed a spot.
    That makes no sense. Seeing that 8 teams are going to make it no matter what.

Which three teams are those? The Thunder losing KD to an extended injury are out. The Clippers losing CP3 to an extended injury might be out. The Spurs losing two of their top players to an extended injury might be out. Also, the Spurs won't be as good as last year. The Spurs are looking like a 4th seed to me.

Also, I think the Warriors really missed Bogut in the playoffs last year. The Warriors make the playoffs as long as Curry and Bogut stay healthy.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-22-2014 at 12:47 PM.

I don't see how it is seven teams. Eight maybe (eliminating Minnesota through potential Love trade) but not seven. Denver was better than New Orleans last year and suffered tons of injuries. They have superior continuity and added Afflalo.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

No, I mean that three teams -LAC, SA, and OKC are going to make it no matter what. Even if Parker gets hurt or KD or CP3. Those teams have the ability to win no matter what happens
    This of course is assuming only Parker, Durant, or Paul is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    That makes no sense. Seeing that 8 teams are going to make it no matter what.
    You right. I was wrong.

You right. I was wrong.
    Brain fart. Happens to us all.

The Thunder making the playoffs without KD is about as likely as the Nuggets making the playoffs or Portland winning the West. It could happen, but odds are much against it.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-22-2014 at 01:01 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Even if the entire Nuggets squad remains healthy, have them out of the playoff picture.
    That I agree with.

The Thunder making the playoffs without KD is about as likely as the Nuggets making the playoffs or Dallas winning the West.
    Westbrook and Ibaka are good enough to make a strong playoffs push even if Durant missed most of the season IMO.

Which three teams are those? The Thunder losing KD to an extended injury are out. The Clippers losing CP3 to an extended injury might be out. The Spurs losing two of their top players to an extended injury might be out. Also, the Spurs won't be as good as last year. The Spurs are looking like a 4th seed to me.

Also, I think the Warriors really missed Bogut in the playoffs last year. The Warriors make the playoffs as long as Curry and Bogut stay healthy.
    Missed games by player for last season:

Spurs
    Duncan: 8
    Parker: 14
    Ginobli: 14
    Leonard: 16

Clippers
    DeAndre: 0
    Griffin: 2
    Paul: 20

Thunder
    Durant: 1
    Ibaka: 1
    Westbrook: 36

Those teams all had injury issues last season and still finished first. The Clippers were (relatively) the healthiest but they still missed a quarter of the season from CP3.

And the Pelicans (because I hate myself or something i dunno)

Pelicans
    Evans: 10
    Davis: 15
    Gordon: 18
    Holiday: 48
    Anderson: 60

The Thunder are not just not that good without KD. There is no way to argue that they win 49+ games without KD.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    And the Pelicans (because I hate myself or something i dunno)

Pelicans
    Evans: 10
    Davis: 15
    Gordon: 18
    Holiday: 48
    Anderson: 60
    DEAR GOD! I forgot how bad it was. Been lost in offseason optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    A team with 46 or fewer wins has made the playoffs in the Western Conference in 10 of the last 15 seasons. Only two times in those 15 seasons every team had at least 50 wins.
    It's mostly irrelevant to bring up past seasons in the NBA when talking about the structure of the West last year, and this year based on how good the teams are. There hasn't been anything to change that. At minimum, the top four teams in the NBA play in the Western Conference. It could be the top five or six or seven teams play in the Western Conference. That is the fact as of today. There are 11 teams in the West who would easily make the playoffs in the East. The top 11 teams in the West will all have winning records when facing the East.

I do not like to watch Eastern Conference basketball. I do not support the Eastern Conference. I hope the Eastern Conference joins the NBA Developmental League because it sucks. Do not let the Eastern Conference win another title for the next 10 years. Thank you.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-22-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    DEAR GOD! I forgot how bad it was. Been lost in offseason optimism.
    You know how people have talked about the good injury luck that Portland has had?

Blazers
    Batum: 0
    Lillard: 0
    Matthews: 0
    Lopez: 0
    Aldridge: 13

I'm too lazy too look up the Nuggets. Someone else can do it, if so inclined.

DUH, it's been like that since the breakup of the Bulls after the 1998 season.

It's mostly irrelevant to bring up past seasons in the NBA when talking about the structure of the West last year, and this year based on how good the teams are. There hasn't been anything to change that. At minimum, the top four teams in the NBA play in the Western Conference. It could be the top five or six or seven teams play in the Western Conference. That is the fact as of today. There are 11 teams in the West who would easily make the playoffs in the East. The top 11 teams in the West will all have winning records when facing the East.

I do not like to watch Eastern Conference basketball. I do not support the Eastern Conference. I hope the Eastern Conference joins the NBA Developmental League because it sucks. Do not let the Eastern Conference win another title for the next 10 years. Thank you.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    What about the Suns, because some on here think they are the gods of healing players and injury prevention.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    What about the Suns, because some on here think they are the gods of healing players and injury prevention.
    Fine, but only because I find that team interesting.

Suns
    Green: 0
    Frye: 0
    Marcus: 0
    Tucker: 1
    Markieff: 1
    Plumlee: 2
    Dragic: 6
    Bledsoe: 39

Note: Dragic, Bledsoe, and Tucker were the only guys to average 30+ MPG. The other five key players had playtime ranging from 22 to 28 MPG.

Thread Information