Pelicans Report

Thread: Just Returned from 4 Days at Vegas Summer League - Pictures and Observations

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar

NBA Just Returned from 4 Days at Vegas Summer League - Pictures and Observations

What an amazing experience! We splurged for the courtside tickets (those that watched Saturday or Sunday probably saw me sitting courtside wearing the JR Reid and Muggsy Bogues Hornets jerseys). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jrr.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	5672

- The coolest thing was JR Reid seeing me on tv wearing his jersey and then posting on twitter and changing his avatar to a picture of me wearing his jersey.

- Sat right behind Pelicans bench in our game vs. Minnesota. Really liked everything about Russ Smith and Patric Young. These young guys are born leaders and will be a great presence on the team.

- At one point during the Wizards - Spurs game had Chris Mullin and Vivek Ranadive on my left and Bradley Beal and John Wall on the right of my friend.

- Sat right next to Hornets VP Fred Whitfield. Michael Jordan called his cell phone 3 times during the Hornets-Knicks game to discuss Hairston. MJ seemed concerned about Hairston jawing so much with guys while Whitfield felt they needed a guy like that who doesn't make down from anyone. Also, Phills # will be retired by Charlotte and the banner will be hung up at Time Warner Cable arena at that time.

- Our boy Davis was one of a very few active NBA players that came out to support their teams, it was really good to see him there to support the young fellows.

- Josh Howard could not have been less interested in the game. I'm fairly sure he was at least a little bit stoned.

- Russ and Coach Gates really seemed to have a great respect for each other. Just think about how CP3 was with Byron at the end, Russ and Gates are the exact opposite.

- Sat right next to Byron Scott's son Thomas yesterday evening... seems like a for sure thing Byron will be the coach of the Lakers.

- The refs are trying out a new system where they wear headsets and communicate to each other and a 4th official in the stands, reviewing calls, getting feedback, etc. Seems a lot more efficient than the current review system. This 4th official would immediately go to the video and advise the lead official of the outcome. Much quicker.

- Most impressive players I saw up close: Zach Levine (reminds me so much of Westbrook), Russ and P.Young (great young additions to our roster, G.Rice Jr. (man he is fearless and has a mean streak), Donatas from Houston (tough, good post moves), Hardaway Jr. (an absolute leader on the floor... even if he shoots every time), PJ Hairston (coldblooded... that "irrational confidence guy" you need).

I highly recommend this experience to anyone. It is pretty inexpensive and if you love basketball, this is the place to be.

Check out my album on facebook from the Summer League:

https://www.facebook.com/shawn.karac...2802693&type=3

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Very nice man. I just about died at the Josh Howard comments.
    @DanielVeuleman

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Very nice man. I just about died at the Josh Howard comments.
    Same here. Great post btw

Great post!

Thanks for the post. I thought for sure I saw Ajinca at all of the games on the bench.

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Thanks for the post. I thought for sure I saw Ajinca at all of the games on the bench.
    Yes, he was indeed there but he is on the actual summer league roster. Davis was one of the few stars that came to support their teams.

awesome info man, thanks for the write up. sounds like a great time to be had, if only it wasn't so far away..

Really nice post! Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie713 View Post
    Yes, he was indeed there but he is on the actual summer league roster. Davis was one of the few stars that came to support their teams.
    I had no idea...

So sounds like Jordan was in LV playing golf for large sums of money and was a little too busy to get over to the SL that evening because he was finishing up his round at $50,000 per hole plus side bets? Made some phone calls though. That's why you hire people to do that job.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-22-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Thread Information