Pelicans Report

Thread: Welcome back Darius (I think)

Welcome back Darius (I think)

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/1...-darius-miller

Pelicans to re-sign Darius Miller

In addition to adding Jimmer Fredette, the New Orleans Pelicans also re-signed guard Darius Miller on Friday, reports John Reid of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. A second-round pick by New Orleans in 2012, Miller hit free agency this summer after the team opted not to extend him a qualifying offer in June.

A 6'8 forward out of Kentucky, Miller appeared in 97 games with New Orleans over the past two seasons, averaging 3.3 points and 1.3 rebounds per game. He'll likely continue to be used in the same capacity going forward, giving the team depth on the wings behind Tyreke Evans and Omri Casspi.

Terms of the deal haven't been announced, so it'll be interesting to see whether the Pelicans saved any money relative to the $1.15 million qualifying offer they declined to extend.

SIGN A SF

So we are keeping Casspi?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    So we are keeping Casspi?
    From Casspi's comments it's clear we are not. Don't know why that author didn't know this.

I wonder if we will pack Jimmer or Salmons, or both along with a lesser player and move them for a sf once the season gets rolling. I can't see both of them staying here the entire year, and I can't see Darius being the plan for the sf spot.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I wonder if we will pack Jimmer or Salmons, or both along with a lesser player and move them for a sf once the season gets rolling. I can't see both of them staying here the entire year, and I can't see Darius being the plan for the sf spot.
    who knows for sure, but I like the idea of Jimmer getting a shot here....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

We resigned Miller when we signed Jimmer lol
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Glad we got him back. Just like danny green it might take some time for him to find his niche but with his 3pt shot, size, passing and defense he could turn into a great role player.

Welcome back Darius (I think)

I like it too. I would rather have guys at the end of the bench that know the system and already have good relationships with their teammates.

I don't understand how some don't get the idea of having a stop gap player on a one year deal fill a role on this team. So you would rather get rid of 2 bench players for one starter that wouldn't even finish games with this current lineup.

Who would be your lesser player UNO? It would have to be Withey, Babbitt, or Miller I would presume. So what would we get for one of them and either Salmons or Jimmer? Not much I would argue, so I would rather keep them. If we were to acquire a good starting small forward then someone would start whining about minutes. Salmons has shown that he can play decent at the 2 & 3 in spot up situations. He's almost perfect as a stop gap cause he's older, has some playoff experience, and won't be asked to do too much. He shouldn't get too upset about minutes and not ending games cause he came on a vet minimum deal and isn't the player he used to be.

Once we have the minutes for a GOOD starting small forward then we can go get that missing piece. The only way that happens this season is if we move Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, or Tyreke Evans IMO.

Once we have the minutes for a GOOD starting small forward then we can go get that missing piece. The only way that happens this season is if we move Eric Gordon, Eric Gordon, or Eric Gordon IMO.
    Fixed.

I am just speaking out of my *** really. I wonder how long we carry both Jimmer and Salmons, and don't believe Darius is a long term answer to the sf problem, so I was thinking about some time during the season Demps taking a flyer on a sf that they view as a potential long term answer. The 3 players I mentioned all have cap friendly contracts, so it is conceivable that some team trying to make some moves for FA 2015 would move a young guy to clear cap space.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    For some reason I'm thinking we can't trade players we just signed for 3 months.

Isn't it pretty clear with the SF and G decisions this offseason that Tyreke is going to get the majority of minutes at SF??

I am just speaking out of my *** really. I wonder how long we carry both Jimmer and Salmons, and don't believe Darius is a long term answer to the sf problem, so I was thinking about some time during the season Demps taking a flyer on a sf that they view as a potential long term answer. The 3 players I mentioned all have cap friendly contracts, so it is conceivable that some team trying to make some moves for FA 2015 would move a young guy to clear cap space.

Wow, I hadn't even thought about that. I doubt we'd get a major piece coming back but a marginal starter could be had, hypothetically. But marginal would be what we need. Wonder what that list would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    For some reason I'm thinking we can't trade players we just signed for 3 months.
    You are right, and that is why I am saying later on this season this could happen.

As for believing that Reke will get the most of the minuets at sf, well of course he is. I don't think you can go into this season with the unit we know that we have now, and not make him your starting sf. That doesn't mean that that isn't subject to change.

I am just thinking out loud here, nothing more. I wouldn't expect more than a marginal starter at best if what we are giving up are the expiring contracts of mediocre players. Expiring contracts have value, but not the kind of value where you can move a d+, c avg. player for A+ talent.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 07-22-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Thread Information