Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Best Jimmer Fredette Comparison

I think he could be like Lillard if given the minutes

1-6

The Game Thread Starter j_bones's Avatar
    A blend between JJ Redick, JJ Barea, and Mark Price is what i'm seeing.

Lets not act like Mark Price wasn't an All Star.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A View Post
    Lets not act like Mark Price wasn't an All Star.
    But he was white so it fits!!
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    But he was white so it fits!!
    Good one, MM. I really think the book is far from written on Fredette. In fact, I think he 'could' end up being better than Morrow.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    If Jimmer is awful on defense then 8-10 minutes a game is probably too much for this team. But if he's on with Asik I wonder if that'll cover up his weaknesses. I'm glad we added him because he can shoot and still has more potential to get better than Bryan Roberts. He's not a homeless man's Steve Nash though. Mark Price? No. He does look like a poor man's JJ Reddick. Better handles and passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A View Post
    Good one, MM. I really think the book is far from written on Fredette. In fact, I think he 'could' end up being better than Morrow.
    If he realizes that he is a role player and, more specifically, a spot-up shooter - then I can see that. If he continues to think that he is more Steph Curry than Steve Kerr, though, he will be in Europe next year.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I think we run him similar to how we did Roberts. Just a bad defender and athlete, good spot up and pull up jump shooter. Best case scenario I think he does similar to how Roberts did. Worst case I just don't think he plays much.
    @DanielVeuleman

B.J. Armstrong with a little less defense and athleticism

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I think we run him similar to how we did Roberts. Just a bad defender and athlete, good spot up and pull up jump shooter. Best case scenario I think he does similar to how Roberts did. Worst case I just don't think he plays much.
    I think this is a great comment, this is probably best case scenario.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Why not Brian Roberts? That is literally the role we brought him in for. An undersized 2 guard who can handle the rock a bit and isn't a factor on defense. If he can give me Robert's production off the bench, I'd be a very very happy camper.

I would be pissed if all he was is Brian Roberts, I mean hell, his 3 PT shooting percentage is something Roberts didn't give us, and while Roberts might have been more athletic, athletic doesn't mean a hill of beans when the opposition doesn't care enough about you to spend more than a fleeting thought on your game. I mean, that why Roberts played hero ball, opponents didn't respect one iota of his offense and let him shoot to kill because he never hit.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Craig Hodges, Steve Kerr, a rich man's Earl Boykins, basically any undersized PG whose really a SG whose ability to shoot could find them a spot in the league. Really liked the Eddie House comparison.
    A what man's Earl Boykins? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Best 5'5" player I've seen in person. Earl Boykins was a 6th man of the year candidate and a huge spark off the bench for the Nuggets. He was exciting to watch and it's a near mathematical certainty he was better defensively.

If Jimmer played defense half as good as Steve Nash he would be able to stay on the court. Jimmer got a one year contract when he was almost out of the league on his way to Europe. Hope for his sake, but mostly for his fans, that he can have a breakthrough on defense this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would be pissed if all he was is Brian Roberts, I mean hell, his 3 PT shooting percentage is something Roberts didn't give us, and while Roberts might have been more athletic, athletic doesn't mean a hill of beans when the opposition doesn't care enough about you to spend more than a fleeting thought on your game. I mean, that why Roberts played hero ball, opponents didn't respect one iota of his offense and let him shoot to kill because he never hit.
    Did we watch the same Roberts? Roberts was a very good shooter. We blame him unfairly for being thrust into the starting role, but he was a very serviceable back up. He should have been playing off the ball had everyone been healthy, and Jimmer should be expected to do the same.

I believe we watched the same Roberts. Are we looking at the same stats? Roberts 3 point touch is anything but Jimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I believe we watched the same Roberts. Are we looking at the same stats? Roberts 3 point touch is anything but Jimmers.
    Does it need to be? Roberts was better in other areas. Simply put, he was supposed to be a shooting threat off the bench why Tyreke or Rivers broke down defenses with their dribble penetration. Why not expect the same from Jimmer? Asking anything more would be asking for too much.

Jimmer can't dribble, so he doesn't like anyone can dribble.

The thing is, I don't think Jimmer ever put any effort into defense as he grew his basketball skills. No shots in practice until he can stop Russ Smith from scoring 8 possessions in a row? Work your magic on the defensive end Monty. Monty is supposedly a defensive guru who develops players? Those are the myths and rumors I hear.

If Monty Williams makes Jimmer Fredette serviceable on defense, he should win Coach of the Year and get a 20-year extension for the NBA coaching max. Not even slightly kidding. It would be one of the greatest coaching feats. I think there's as good a chance that the Pelicans win the Championship this year. I'll take either one.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-20-2014 at 10:46 PM.

A dyslexic man's Burl Oinkins. Actually, his driving game reminds me of Austin Rivers. Lots of low-percentage high bank shots and rainbow floaters, all low-percentage. Doesn't seem fast enough to get to the rim before help arrives. So, catch and shoot sounds like a good way to go for Jimmer.

I wonder why he was even drafted so high when everyone knew he didn't play defense. I mean we as fans can see it clear as day, he shouldn't have been drafted so high. How could NBA scouts know so much less than us fans?

I see a lot of people saying Jimmer can't handle the ball and he can't create for himself. Let's see what Synergy has to say. Using his stats from his time in SAC since he only took 34 shots his entire time with the Bulls this is the breakdown. Nothing with less than 20 attempts was included.

PPP = points per possession
    % = % of time he scored out of each play type

Isolation (7.9%) - 1ppp
    P&R Ball Handler (45.6%) - .9 ppp
    Spot-Up (13.5%) - 1.41ppp
    Off Screen (10.7%) - 1.04ppp
    Transition (11.1%) - .93ppp
    Overall - .96ppp

Here are his numbers from 3pt% out of each set. Nothing with less than 10 attempts was included.

P&R Ball Handler - 41.4%
    Spot Up - 62.5%
    Off Screen - 41.7%
    Transition - 40%
    Overall - 48.6%

Make of this information what you will. Just thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I see a lot of people saying Jimmer can't handle the ball and he can't create for himself. Let's see what Synergy has to say. Using his stats from his time in SAC since he only took 34 shots his entire time with the Bulls this is the breakdown. Nothing with less than 20 attempts was included.

PPP = points per possession
    % = % of time he scored out of each play type

Isolation (7.9%) - 1ppp
    P&R Ball Handler (45.6%) - .9 ppp
    Spot-Up (13.5%) - 1.41ppp
    Off Screen (10.7%) - 1.04ppp
    Transition (11.1%) - .93ppp
    Overall - .96ppp

Here are his numbers from 3pt% out of each set. Nothing with less than 10 attempts was included.

P&R Ball Handler - 41.4%
    Spot Up - 62.5%
    Off Screen - 41.7%
    Transition - 40%
    Overall - 48.6%

Make of this information what you will. Just thought it was interesting.
    I don't have time for this ****. I need to make more blind statements about people's future.

I see a shorter Jo Jo White.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    I think he's a Magic/Hakeem hybrid

Thread Information