Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Russ Smith cracks the NBA.com Rookie Ladder

I'm glad Russ lead the SL in assists. He certainly had some positives. He also had some negatives. I think it's too early to say what he will be for our team.

I'm glad Withey played through injuries, averaged 2 blocks a game, and a respectable FT%. He also had some negatives. I think it's too early to say what he will be for our team.

I'm glad Young grabbed a good amount of rebounds, played with a lot of energy, and hustled on every play. He also had some negatives. I think it's too early to say what he will be for our team.

I wish people could approach it like that instead of having to put down other players on the team just to complement another player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm glad Russ lead the SL in assists. He certainly had some positives. He also had some negatives. I think it's too early to say what he will be for our team.

I'm glad Withey played through injuries, averaged 2 blocks a game, and a respectable FT%. He also had some negatives. I think it's too early to say what he will be for our team.

I'm glad Young grabbed a good amount of rebounds, played with a lot of energy, and hustled on every play. He also had some negatives. I think it's too early to say what he will be for our team.

I wish people could approach it like that instead of having to put down other players on the team just to complement another player.
    I tend to agree, but Devils Advocate - How boring with this board be if everyone evaluated like that?
    @mcnamara247

MM, I know your right. So just pass me them powerball numbers, and we can both walk away happy.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I tend to agree, but Devils Advocate - How boring with this board be if everyone evaluated like that?
    I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. In real games against NBA talent I tend to lend far more credence to evaluations. I just feel like you can take almost nothing from SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. In real games against NBA talent I tend to lend far more credence to evaluations. I just feel like you can take almost nothing from SL.
    I tend to agree. But tell that to the people that will be upset when we don't sign Fells

Fells came out in 09' and is now lighting the SL aflame. Good for him. I hope he catches on with someone, but don't count me among the group that will be sad to see him go. He is putting up solid numbers vs competition that will see more time overseas than in the US. He did what he was supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Fells came out in 09' and is now lighting the SL aflame. Good for him. I hope he catches on with someone, but don't count me among the group that will be sad to see him go. He is putting up solid numbers vs competition that will see more time overseas than in the US. He did what he was supposed to.
    And Withey did not. Not for his age or experience. I by no means am giving up on him, but the words setting aflame SL can not be used in connection with him.

Did Patric Young light it up, NO, did he show enough to get a contract, Yes. No Guarantees! D League ?

All I am saying is Withey has not shown enough last season or SL to be a lock to make the final roster. He has some work to do, and he better do it fast.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Thread supposed to be about Russ Smith. Hijacked into a Jeff Withey thread ... because there wasn't already an overreaction Withey thread to post in? Takeaways: Monty Williams gets five years. Jeff Withey gets one year and one SL (where he arguably was not in perfect health) before getting crucified. And of course there weren't any complaint threads before the SL. This forum has too much time on their hands in the off-season. GG thread.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-21-2014 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-mac View Post
    I'm new to this forum and I'm quite disappointed in Pelicans fans. I'm a huge Louisville fan and i like Anthony Davis so I'm trying to become a fan of pelicans but ya ll are the most negative fans I've ever encountered. It's embarrassing yall don't know how great a player Russ Smith is I guess yall rather have Pierre Jackson back the way yall dismiss Russ it's pathetic
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I tend to agree. But tell that to the people that will be upset when we don't sign Fells
    Also, you can thank one particular poster for that. MM, his posts and writing is well respected around here. If he had more optimism and was more excited, many posters would follow suit. He isn't the most positive. He might dispute that. I'll give an example of what would happen. If he projects that the Pelicans will win 42 games, that will take a lot of air out of the sails. If he projects that the Pelicans will win 52 games, that will get a few more people excited about the season and the good vibes will spread. So, even if he doesn't believe something, I would caution about being too pessimistic. He will probably call it realism, but it is a superior route to have confidence and a positive attitude. It can be hard to remain positive when bad things happen or when negativity surrounds you. Those who can remain positive have a better chance.

If athletes thought that way "we're going to suck or be very average this year" they will. The players who think they are best are the ones that tend to be the best. Sometimes you can bring things to yourself by having an unbreakable positive attitude. That is the kind of attitude Russ Smith seems to have.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-21-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Thread supposed to be about Russ Smith. Hijacked into a Jeff Withey thread ... because there wasn't already an overreaction Withey thread to post in? Takeaways: Monty Williams gets five years. Jeff Withey gets one year and one SL (where he arguably was not in perfect health) before getting crucified. And of course there weren't any complaint threads before the SL. This forum has too much time on their hands in the off-season. GG thread.

are you this popular in real life rynostime?

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    are you this popular in real life rynostime?
    Seems sarcastic. I was unaware that I was popular on this board. Popular to poke fun at and laugh at maybe. But I am the best, so I believe you. MM is the popular one. You should ask him if he's this popular in real life.

For those who haven't noticed, I'm not just a fan of Ryno anymore. I'm a real Pelicans fan now.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-21-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Seems sarcastic. I was unaware that I was popular on this board. Popular to poke fun at and laugh at maybe. But I am the best, so I believe you. MM is the popular one. You should ask him if he's this popular in real life.

For those who haven't noticed, I'm not just a fan of Ryno anymore. I'm a real Pelicans fan now.
    lmfao now that is funny.....goooood one

At least someone thinks it's funny. Just found a bunch of good Pelicans photos. I'm ready for the year. I have a good one after a Pelicans win.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-21-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Also, you can thank one particular poster for that. MM, his posts and writing is well respected around here. If he had more optimism and was more excited, many posters would follow suit. He isn't the most positive. He might dispute that. I'll give an example of what would happen. If he projects that the Pelicans will win 42 games, that will take a lot of air out of the sails. If he projects that the Pelicans will win 52 games, that will get a few more people excited about the season and the good vibes will spread. So, even if he doesn't believe something, I would caution about being too pessimistic. He will probably call it realism, but it is a superior route to have confidence and a positive attitude. It can be hard to remain positive when bad things happen or when negativity surrounds you. Those who can remain positive have a better chance.

If athletes thought that way "we're going to suck or be very average this year" they will. The players who think they are best are the ones that tend to be the best. Sometimes you can bring things to yourself by having an unbreakable positive attitude. That is the kind of attitude Russ Smith seems to have.
    Our optimism or pessimism about the season has absolutely no bearing on the team's performance. I don't like a lot of the rainy-day attitude on this board, but Mac being a little rosier is not going to make big changes on this board.

Russ was also named to 2nd team Summer league, pretty good for a 2nd rounder

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/07/20/a...ams/index.html
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    At least someone thinks it's funny. Just found a bunch of good Pelicans photos. I'm ready for the year. I have a good one after a Pelicans win.
    I'm not sure you'll be here long enough to do so

long story short, it only matters when it matters

?!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    A pity the classification goes guard. If there was a mandatory slot for primary ball handlers, Russ would've probably made the 1st team.

Oh well.

Hope this carries over.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    A pity the classification goes guard. If there was a mandatory slot for primary ball handlers, Russ would've probably made the 1st team.
    Never heard of that position before.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D-mac View Post
    I'm new to this forum and I'm quite disappointed in Pelicans fans. I'm a huge Louisville fan and i like Anthony Davis so I'm trying to become a fan of pelicans but ya ll are the most negative fans I've ever encountered. It's embarrassing yall don't know how great a player Russ Smith is I guess yall rather have Pierre Jackson back the way yall dismiss Russ it's pathetic
    In all the RynosTime text wall spam and Withey/Young slapfest, we missed this little gem.

UHHHHHHHH you must've missed all the other threads where people splooged over Russ Smith, g-money.

I can see where other fan bases might think we are pessimistic. Because there are tons of fans out there who are just that - fanatical. No objectivity, just pure blind optimism. I mean, there are Lakers fans who think they will be a top 3 seed. Read that last sentence again and know that it is their true belief.

This board, on the other hand, seems much more realistic than most. I would even say it tilts toward optimistic when compared to the national views of the Pelicans. I like that we don't have a bunch of homers here that think every player is the second coming of X superstar.

But I don't buy that this board is pessimistic. I guarantee that when the season comes and we all predict the teams' record, that 90% of posters will project higher than the national consensus. That is not pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    In all the RynosTime text wall spam and Withey/Young slapfest, we missed this little gem.

UHHHHHHHH you must've missed all the other threads where people splooged over Russ Smith, g-money.
    YOU'RE BACK?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    YOU'RE BACK?!?!?!?
    He's been back for a few days I think, with a signature longer than Mount Everest. What does contributor mean? I used to think it meant mod powers, but it doesn't appear all the contributors are moderators.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-21-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    He's been back for a few days I think, with a signature longer than Mt. Everest. What does contributor mean? I used to think it meant mod powers, but it doesn't appear all the contributors are moderators.
    I'm no mod. That I can say. Become a contributor and you shall see the glory of the kingdom.

Thread Information