Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Patric Young Signed To Two Year Deal

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If Aminu was 6'3" he would've never lasted as long as he has. It was more than time enough to let him go.

But this thread is for Patric Young. Glad we kept him. Think he's gonna be a solid player for us for years to come, health providing.

Darius Miller should be overseas or in the D-League. Not on an NBA roster.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by voopster View Post
    Agreed, chief was shredded consistently when isolated by top talent. Time to move on when his offense is woeful.

Darius needs a consistent chance

Patric does make Withey a non factor it seems
    I agree on all three points. Chief lacks bb IQ IMO. To many bone head plays on both ends of the court. Yes, Miller needs more time, which will give him more confidence. Withey could use some time in the D league
    Last edited by SaintPelican225; 07-19-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I'm so glad to see Patric getting this deal; if anyone deserved it, it was a hard working young guy like him. He just had to BO-LIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Darius Miller should be overseas or in the D-League. Not on an NBA roster.
    Really? I think Miller can be a solid player. His shooting was down last season but his defense improved. I remember when we played OKC he was holding his own against KD.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    From the man himself:

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I personally think that Aminu would do well on a team like the Clippers. He's needs a run-n-gun style offense to best utilize his talents. Spurs/Montyball is the wrong system for Aminu. Back on topic though, I'm glad Young is getting a shot. He's earned it. I wish fells would get a TC invite. I'd like to see more of what he can do.
    This team ran plenty enough while he was here. Being on a "run-n-gun" type team won't solve his problems.

If anything, aminu would fit best on teams that were playing a lot of small ball and tanking like never before.

76ers, why haven't you called him yet?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    No need for name calling. Be actually starting a new thread is a good idea so these conversations are better organized.
    You might be right and you spoke to me in a decent manner and with class. I would never call someone a name or insult them unless they blatantly show a lack of class. Most people on this forum are interesting and fun and we can have different opinions. however there are people on here who think they're Skip Bayless and I have no problem with that but it actually lowers the quality of this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I'm so glad to see Patric getting this deal; if anyone deserved it, it was a hard working young guy like him. He just had to BO-LIEVE
    Hey there big fella, you have given great effort and hard work. Good Job on finally making the team with your big muscles and your fancy passion. Gosh, you did it! All you had to do is BO-LIEVE! (Inspirational smile)
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    It's going to be exciting to see what he can do on the court. Him and Russ both have a chip on their shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Hey there big fella, you have given great effort and hard work. Good Job on finally making the team with your big muscles and your fancy passion. Gosh, you did it! All you had to do is BO-LIEVE! (Inspirational smile)

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    :thumbsup:

Can someone magic up a Young Youtube highlights video please?

Yay, now we don't have to worry about the saints pinching him
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Welcome aboard, Big Little Big Man! Hopefully we will have lots of large late leads, so our bigs can all play some and we can see who is the best in particular situations. I'm interested to see how Young's perimeter defense looks if we put him on a large SF or a quick PF....

Love the patrick young signing will give that energy that always gets under the skin of good players

But to respond to the hate on AMINU on offense he need to be on the court with guys that can push the pace of the game. And not in slow catch and shoot situation.

And on defense. 8/10 times he guards best wing and because of others getting beat from perimeter hes in help or having to close out on good scorers. And good scorers will make it tough on any defender.....see lebron vs. Spurs

I want aminu back for a fair price. He adds versatility to our roster.

The 'anti-lebron' strategy of putting a guy like David West or Diaw on him seemed to work out well, I can't imagine Young not having the foot speed of either of those two. Be interesting to see how he is incorporated, he has a skillset that allows him to play in a lot of different spots on the court.

Young's big knock coming out of college was lack of rebounding. If SL is any indication, he is willing to put forth the effort in that area. One question is whether he will be effective against better rebounding competition at the next level. If he is, then the next question is whether he can defend against his man and against quicker players when switched. If he can do those two things I'm happy to let Aminu go. Young won't be expected to shoot or handle the ball. He certainly won't improve our spacing. However, every single move can't be about spacing. Some times you need to bang in the paint for boards, and Young appears like he might be built for that.

I covered Patric Young for four years in college, so here's a quick scouting report on him from his college days:

-- Very cerebral player, one of the most intelligent and put-together guys I've been around in the college game for the last half-decade or so. He is excellent at understanding the overall strategy a team is employing and understanding where everyone fits in and where they're supposed to be. He was responsible for calling Florida's defensive coverages, and it's one of the reasons Florida was good enough defensively to make it to the Final Four this year without a single draft pick on the roster. Young's as good a pick-and-roll defender as there was in the college game. I think from that standpoint, he's perfect for the Pelicans.

-- Young was never a fantastic rebounder at Florida. I've always felt he lacked the natural instinct some guys have to just know where the ball's coming off. That said, he will work his tail off to make sure he's in good position and he has his man boxed out. Not the greatest jumper when going up for rebounds, though that can certainly improve if his health does. He had constant knee injuries (never significant enough to keep him out of games) that were nagging enough that you could sometimes tell he was having trouble getting off the floor. Iced them after darned near every game. That said, he looked as good athletically his senior year as he did in the previous two, when the injuries seemed to slow him a bit more.

-- Young has never had a great offensive game, but it seemed to be developing some during his senior year. He can hit his hook shot pretty consistently, and that's been a go-to move for Florida post players the last few years. He can clean up with dunks around the rim when given the chance as well. As far as a face-up game, he was never asked to do much of that at Florida, so it's hard to say whether he can develop that given time. He did take a few mid-range jumpers at Florida last year and made a handful of them, so the potential is at least there.

-- Bottom line, Young's a smart player who can play strong defense and give a ton of effort in stretches. He will outhustle just about anyone on the floor, which is what you're looking for out of a physical player like him who's likely to play a backup/reserve role in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by shanksta13 View Post
    I covered Patric Young for four years in college, so here's a quick scouting report on him from his college days:

-- Very cerebral player, one of the most intelligent and put-together guys I've been around in the college game for the last half-decade or so. He is excellent at understanding the overall strategy a team is employing and understanding where everyone fits in and where they're supposed to be. He was responsible for calling Florida's defensive coverages, and it's one of the reasons Florida was good enough defensively to make it to the Final Four this year without a single draft pick on the roster. Young's as good a pick-and-roll defender as there was in the college game. I think from that standpoint, he's perfect for the Pelicans.

-- Young was never a fantastic rebounder at Florida. I've always felt he lacked the natural instinct some guys have to just know where the ball's coming off. That said, he will work his tail off to make sure he's in good position and he has his man boxed out. Not the greatest jumper when going up for rebounds, though that can certainly improve if his health does. He had constant knee injuries (never significant enough to keep him out of games) that were nagging enough that you could sometimes tell he was having trouble getting off the floor. Iced them after darned near every game. That said, he looked as good athletically his senior year as he did in the previous two, when the injuries seemed to slow him a bit more.

-- Young has never had a great offensive game, but it seemed to be developing some during his senior year. He can hit his hook shot pretty consistently, and that's been a go-to move for Florida post players the last few years. He can clean up with dunks around the rim when given the chance as well. As far as a face-up game, he was never asked to do much of that at Florida, so it's hard to say whether he can develop that given time. He did take a few mid-range jumpers at Florida last year and made a handful of them, so the potential is at least there.

-- Bottom line, Young's a smart player who can play strong defense and give a ton of effort in stretches. He will outhustle just about anyone on the floor, which is what you're looking for out of a physical player like him who's likely to play a backup/reserve role in the NBA.
    Thanks for the scouting report!

He was one of those players in college that just caught your attention. When he was on the court, your eyes went to him. Hopefully he fits in well with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    The 'anti-lebron' strategy of putting a guy like David West or Diaw on him seemed to work out well, I can't imagine Young not having the foot speed of either of those two. Be interesting to see how he is incorporated, he has a skillset that allows him to play in a lot of different spots on the court.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    Welcome aboard, Big Little Big Man! Hopefully we will have lots of large late leads, so our bigs can all play some and we can see who is the best in particular situations. I'm interested to see how Young's perimeter defense looks if we put him on a large SF or a quick PF....
    You'll never see Young on a SF, because he doesn't have the lateral quickness to pull that off. He will most likely guard PF and play center on small ball lineups......

Thread Information