Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tyreke may be best as SF

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    When I told you last month that Tyreke would be our starting SF you shat all over it. What changed your mind?
    Guru and i were saying it way before we even signed Reke. To be honest though, and it i know it sounds ridiculous, but i signed him in my 2k13 Association last year and put him at SF. Then it hit me that he is a PG with the tools of a SF. Just having someone with his ability to pass with having so much attention from the opposing defense is invaluable no matter what position he plays. I think we are modeling ourselves like the Spurs in the fact that we want willing and exceptionally able passers on our roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Guru and i were saying it way before we even signed Reke. To be honest though, and it i know it sounds ridiculous, but i signed him in my 2k13 Association last year and put him at SF. Then it hit me that he is a PG with the tools of a SF. Just having someone with his ability to pass with having so much attention from the opposing defense is invaluable no matter what position he plays. I think we are modeling ourselves like the Spurs in the fact that we want willing and exceptionally able passers on our roster.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Darius was poor for much of the season, but I think he makes the roster because of his passing ability. If he can become confident and take his shots, it will be a successful year for him. Tyreke as you rightly said is versatile; I think that is the number one reason we envisioned him as a 6th man. He will get minutes at three positions because he has the tools to play all three effectively. He just needs to perk up his defense and develop some kind of 3 ball.

You ever heard of point Forward? Tyreke is a match up nightmare for especially Pg's but also sf's.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Darius was poor for much of the season, but I think he makes the roster because of his passing ability. If he can become confident and take his shots, it will be a successful year for him. Tyreke as you rightly said is versatile; I think that is the number one reason we envisioned him as a 6th man. He will get minutes at three positions because he has the tools to play all three effectively. He just needs to perk up his defense and develop some kind of 3 ball.
    Yep, i thought of Darius as soon as i got done typing. Salmons is a pretty good passer too.

I didn't like tyreke at the small forward because we didn't have a center that could rebound. Now with asik im fine with it

Tyreke may be best as SF

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I didn't like tyreke at the small forward because we didn't have a center that could rebound. Now with asik im fine with it
    Ah well. Thought you were the one other poster who agreed with me suggesting we sign him in the offseason to play the three. Everyone thought i was crazy.

Last edited by Sleeper; 07-19-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: add

Asking whether Tyreke is best at SF and then throwing out a bunch of offensive numbers is pointless in my opinion. He will play the same role offensively no matter what "position" he is at. Your position is dependent on who you are defending. Can he defend opposing SF's? That is the only question. Offensively, he will be a penetrator and one man fast break regardless of who else he is on the floor with.

AD will guard Durant and LeBron. Reek will guard the rest. Problem nba?

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I guess Kawhi and Batum are second and third but neither is great at creating for himself, but can he keep guys like that off the offensive glass?
    Playing Reke at SF means he cant get out in transition as much as he likes to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I would say Gay is #2 followed by Batum and Parsons. Kawhi is a better player, but he doesn't create his own offense.

If the Kings clear out for Gay or the Blazers do the same for Batum, we have already won. I think people are making more of this than they need to. With second line guys at the rim, it won't be a big issue. Defense is a team thing. Having those guys behind our perimeter guys will make things incredibly easy for our perimeter guys
    @mcnamara247

Ah well. Thought you were the one other poster who agreed with me suggesting we sign him in the offseason to play the three. Everyone thought i was crazy.

No no I was, I just wanted to get a different center with him

No no I was, I just wanted to get a different center with him

I'm in wait and see mode (obviously bc they haven't played together yet) with Asik and Reke pairing. I think the Pelicans best best is to make sure when Ryno is on the court, so is Evans. Plus with a bench compiling guys like Ryno, Jimmer, AR, Babbit, (i.e. spot up 3 point snipers) etc; it seems to be a situation tailor made towards Evans skills.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 07-19-2014 at 09:35 PM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I wonder how the other teams are, sitting there wondering how they are going to go guarding jrue/gordon/evans/davis/asik

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    I wonder how the other teams are, sitting there wondering how they are going to go guarding jrue/gordon/evans/davis/asik
    They aren't lol

They aren't lol
    They aren't wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I would say Gay is #2 followed by Batum and Parsons. Kawhi is a better player, but he doesn't create his own offense.

If the Kings clear out for Gay or the Blazers do the same for Batum, we have already won. I think people are making more of this than they need to. With second line guys at the rim, it won't be a big issue. Defense is a team thing. Having those guys behind our perimeter guys will make things incredibly easy for our perimeter guys
    Looking at the names Batum, parsons, paul george ect.got me looking at the Free Agent SF's options they'll have next summer for us......

Luol Deng is one I have coveted and he is a FA next year, as well as
    Jeff Green
    Mike Dunleavy
    Khris Middleton

I think Demare Carrol could blossom with us. Well balanced player

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    Last year Eric Gordon was a top 12 SG offensively. Gordon was one of the worst defenders in the NBA period. Last year Tyreke Evans was a top 20 SF offensively. Evans was one of the worst defenders in the NBA period.

Here comes the good news. Omer Asik was the 7th best defender in the NBA looking at DRPM last year.

Actually last year Jimmer Fredette was #437 DRPM so the worst defensive RPM number in the NBA. Eric Gordon was DRPM #432 in the NBA and Tyreke Evans was DRPM #427 DRPM in the NBA. Monty Williams got lucky to be so concerned about defense when he has some terrible individual defenders to work with. The team will be a lot better defensively with Omer Asik #7 DRPM. But the team sure could be a lot better offensively.

Btw, Greg Stiemsma was #20 best DRPM but he had the 2nd worst offensive RPM in the NBA.

Jrue Holiday was also the #3 DRPM Point Guard. So this team will be good defensively but should be better offensively than defensively no matter how much time Monty devotes to focusing on the defense. It seemed like last year defense was the only thing Monty ever talked about it. Last year it did not do any good apparently. Might as well focus on offense this year if Monty knows how. At least we could be great on the more important side of the ball and then maybe that could carry over to a little more effort on defense.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-20-2014 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Looking at the names Batum, parsons, paul george ect.got me looking at the Free Agent SF's options they'll have next summer for us......

Luol Deng is one I have coveted and he is a FA next year, as well as
    Deng might be FA if he will excersise his PO with Heat...

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Last year Eric Gordon was a top 12 SG offensively. Gordon was one of the worst defenders in the NBA period. Last year Tyreke Evans was a top 20 SF offensively. Evans was one of the worst defenders in the NBA period.

Here comes the good news. Omer Asik was the 7th best defender in the NBA looking at DRPM last year.
    That top 20 for tyreke must have been when he came off the bench and when he started because if it was starting he absolutely dominated

Thread Information