Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Should Jeff Withey be traded?

Summer league is a fun diversion, but it should have about as much bearing on personnel decisions as the All-Star Game. What I saw was run-n-gun ball with only about 1 player on each team even trying to make assists or structured plays. Defense was spotty at best. It is built to showcase guards and athletic finishers. Withey is neither, despite some apparent work on his offensive game.

If he had a hurt foot, and I say we should ignore his SL completely. If anyone disagrees they can do stuff that involves lots of asterisks. Those seem to be getting more popular on this board.....

If you suck in Summer League, odds are you'll suck in the NBA. If you dominate Summer League, there is a chance that you may possibly be qualified for the 15th roster slot on a team. Maybe.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

People really need to step back from the ledge. Has anyone even checked Youngs and Withey's stats for SL:

Young -
    48% FG, 47% FT, 8 Reb, .8 Blk, 0 AST, .2 Stls, 1.8 TO, 3 PF.

Withey -
    40% FG, 65% FT, 6.4 Reb, 2 Blk, .8 AST, .6 Stls, 1.4 TO, 3 PF.

Is that really getting blown out of the water by Young? Then when you take into consideration Withey wasn't 100%. . .his numbers actually seem very respectable.

People seem to get a flavor of the month and then hate on the old flavor. That's all this is.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    Summer league is a fun diversion, but it should have about as much bearing on personnel decisions as the All-Star Game. What I saw was run-n-gun ball with only about 1 player on each team even trying to make assists or structured plays. Defense was spotty at best. It is built to showcase guards and athletic finishers. Withey is neither, despite some apparent work on his offensive game.

If he had a hurt foot, and I say we should ignore his SL completely. If anyone disagrees they can do stuff that involves lots of asterisks. Those seem to be getting more popular on this board.....
    It didn't look like he had a hurt foot to me. It looked like that was the excuse for his play after the fact. If his foot was hurting, and he came into camp feeling pain and discomfort, why would you publicly state to the media that you're making him the focal point of the summer league team, making him the leader, it's the Withey Show.

I think that the coaches had certain expectations, expectations that he didn't come close to meeting, physically or skill wise. Hell, he didn't even show up in the attitude or aggression department. You're 7' tall, play like it, you've had NBA development for the last year, coaching, weight training and nutrition. 75% of you should be better than 100% of these Dleague, overseas, and rookie free agent guys.

If Whitey was hurt, say that... say we know what he brings, and what he's been working on and we'll monitor his minutes and see what he can handle.

Don't say after he sucked, "he had a foot".
    Last edited by NemesisKING; 07-20-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    If you suck in Summer League, odds are you'll suck in the NBA. If you dominate Summer League, there is a chance that you may possibly be qualified for the 15th roster slot on a team. Maybe.
    I nominate this for post of the year. Strong reasoning. Tell that to Nerlens Noel, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, and Doug McDermott.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-20-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    I nominate this for post of the year. Strong reasoning. Tell that to Nerlens Noel, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, and Doug McDermott.
    Let me put it another way. Playing poorly in SL speaks volumes. Playing well is like the first paragraph in the first 1,000 page book of a trilogy.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

neither young nor withey are going to play regardless unless there's an injury

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    People really need to step back from the ledge. Has anyone even checked Youngs and Withey's stats for SL:

Young -
    48% FG, 47% FT, 8 Reb, .8 Blk, 0 AST, .2 Stls, 1.8 TO, 3 PF.

Withey -
    40% FG, 65% FT, 6.4 Reb, 2 Blk, .8 AST, .6 Stls, 1.4 TO, 3 PF.

Is that really getting blown out of the water by Young? Then when you take into consideration Withey wasn't 100%. . .his numbers actually seem very respectable.

People seem to get a flavor of the month and then hate on the old flavor. That's all this is.
    There's more to this than pure stats. No one and I mean NO ONE was saying "Man, Withey is shooting a low percentage." Withey looked sluggish and uncoordinated.

Does it really matter as it's Summer League? No more than a great performance doesn't mean anything cuz it's Summer League. Whatever the reason, Patric Young outplayed Withey. More hustle and energy.

What happens next is up to Dell. But in my case, call it as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    There's more to this than pure stats. No one and I mean NO ONE was saying "Man, Withey is shooting a low percentage." Withey looked sluggish and uncoordinated.

Does it really matter as it's Summer League? No more than a great performance doesn't mean anything cuz it's Summer League. Whatever the reason, Patric Young outplayed Withey. More hustle and energy.

What happens next is up to Dell. But in my case, call it as I see it.
    Does it really matter how he looks when he puts up numbers? If Young was giving everything he had and Withey was partially injured and sluggish and still put up numbers similar to or better than Young that makes me more concerned about Young.

The fact that Young got a 2 yr deal I think bodes well that Withey will make the team. I'd love to have seen Withey tear it up and play like a beast in SL. He didn't, but he also didn't play awful like people are trying to imply.

I'm more interested in seeing pre season games with them. That will tell me more.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrand View Post
    neither young nor withey are going to play regardless unless there's an injury
    Hahahahaha. Jeff Withey will get the backup C minutes and will see plenty of time on the court. Withey > Ajinca last year. The numbers don't lie. People always trash my favorite players. Ryno, Kobe, Melo, Russ Smith, Jeff Withey. Moving on from this silly thread.

Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-20-2014 at 12:41 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Does it really matter how he looks when he puts up numbers?
    Yes, it totally does matter. The guy that's doing the sort of things Monty wants his players to do will get the playing time over the guy who isn't, who happens to put up similar numbers. Otherwise, we would've kept Pierre Jackson or Marcus Thornton.

This long, long lull between basketball is gonna be rough though. I'll be doing more hoping AD doesn't get hurt during the Team USA stuff than anything...

This long, long lull between basketball is gonna be rough though.
    Ever hear of this great American sport called baseball? You should check it out sometime.

Yes, it totally does matter. The guy that's doing the sort of things Monty wants his players to do will get the playing time over the guy who isn't, who happens to put up similar numbers. Otherwise, we would've kept Pierre Jackson or Marcus Thornton.

This long, long lull between basketball is gonna be rough though. I'll be doing more hoping AD doesn't get hurt during the Team USA stuff than anything...
    But the players you mentioned were offensive players that sucked on defense. Withey is the opposite. He is the defensive guy who also blocks shots that Monty really likes.

I think people are reading WAY too much into SL.

People always trash my favorite players. Ryno, Kobe, Melo, Russ Smith, Jeff Withey. Moving on from this silly thread.

that's what we call a win/win transaction

Hahahahaha. Jeff Withey will get the backup C minutes and will see plenty of time on the court. Withey > Ajinca last year. The numbers don't lie. People always trash my favorite players. Ryno, Kobe, Melo, Russ Smith, Jeff Withey. Moving on from this silly thread.

wth is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    wth is wrong with you?

The only reason Withey shouldn't be traded is that after summer league his value will be at an extreme low.

Fact of the matter is he is expendable. We already have our three bigs that will take up the majority of minutes at the 4 and 5. Now with Young we have 3 backups to our 3 big rotation while we have a dearth of talent at the 3 spot.

Withey is exactly the type of player you hope to "sell high" on in a trade down the line. Same goes with any of our other backup bigs.

Thread Information