Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should Jeff Withey be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    That or take a hit like Sam Cassel.
    His potential was destroyed after that nasty injury. Training camp finished the job.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Is this thread freaking serious? Jeff Withey should be our backup center right now. I can think of multiple players on the roster who need to go before Jeff. It takes some players 4 years to find their footing in the NBA. Jeff Withey is an active big who still has a lot of room to add to his game.

I would rather see Alexis Ajinca, Darius Miller, or Austin Rivers get traded before Jeff Withey.

I won't even pick on Patric Young or Jimmer Fredette because they just got here and one is a polished rookie and the other deserves to be here.
    You say it takes 4 years for players to find their footing in the NBA and then turn around and say Rivers should be traded before Withey? Rivers is 3 years younger than Withey and has shown much more potential

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was summer league, so there is no reason to overreact about Withey. You will see all of these players in summer league like Fells who play well, but keep in mind they are trying to make a roster. Withey is on the squad, and seeing the work they have put into upping his weight I doubt they would just move him after a mediocre stretch of games that mean jack **** in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It was summer league, so there is no reason to overreact about Withey. You will see all of these players in summer league like Fells who play well, but keep in mind they are trying to make a roster. Withey is on the squad, and seeing the work they have put into upping his weight I doubt they would just move him after a mediocre stretch of games that mean jack **** in the long run.
    It's not as much his play but more the clear lack of effort throughout the summer league. Guys at the end of the bench need to be hungry for more playing time, and they need to push the players in front of them. Withey seemed very lazy and content to be on the roster.

While I dont think he should be cut, I do think that if any sort of trade becomes available for him we should jump on it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    It's not as much his play but more the clear lack of effort throughout the summer league. Guys at the end of the bench need to be hungry for more playing time, and they need to push the players in front of them. Withey seemed very lazy and content to be on the roster.

While I dont think he should be cut, I do think that if any sort of trade becomes available for him we should jump on it immediately.

I understand where you are coming from, but keep in mind that effort in games like these is what gets you hurt. Austin put 120 percent effort into summer league, and he got injured both times. Our beloved Pierre Jackson just had a terrible injury in summer league. You don't think that plays into the mind of Withey? He won't get a big contract because he blew it up in summer league (nobody will care). If he plays well in the regular season however, he will be rewarded. I do think he should put forth a little more effort, but I understand why he may be a little reserved in SL.

And sorry, if it was rivers sucking big time in summer league in his second year, there'd be a whole lot of people clamoring for him to get traded/cut/inserted into a cannon and shot into the space (like that bright lsu fella). If a player is to shine at any time...how can it not be in the summer league? The talent level is atrocious on a general point, if he can't defend/score/rebound in summer league and with an nba season already under his belt, how is he supposed to do it come regular season? It's not like last season he showed a boatload of talent. I thought hell, he'll get better, improve his strenght maybe get a few moves...he actually looked worse. Against substandard competition.

I mean maybe he had just (how many?) a few games off, but still, he looked to be anything but willing to put himself on the line and play his *** out.

Trade Him. I'd rather have Big Country or Eric the Montross

He's not even a ........... Alex Ajincia!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    And sorry, if it was rivers sucking big time in summer league in his second year, there'd be a whole lot of people clamoring for him to get traded/cut/inserted into a cannon and shot into the space (like that bright lsu fella). If a player is to shine at any time...how can it not be in the summer league? The talent level is atrocious on a general point, if he can't defend/score/rebound in summer league and with an nba season already under his belt, how is he supposed to do it come regular season? It's not like last season he showed a boatload of talent. I thought hell, he'll get better, improve his strenght maybe get a few moves...he actually looked worse. Against substandard competition.

I mean maybe he had just (how many?) a few games off, but still, he looked to be anything but willing to put himself on the line and play his *** out.

Sorry Pel Buddies, but with the roster we have at this point not even yal can deny Aminu is more valuable than Whitey to us.

labron james, carmelo, durant, yada yada - the only player we had to guard them was Aminu

I understand where you are coming from, but keep in mind that effort in games like these is what gets you hurt. Austin put 120 percent effort into summer league, and he got injured both times. Our beloved Pierre Jackson just had a terrible injury in summer league. You don't think that plays into the mind of Withey? He won't get a big contract because he blew it up in summer league (nobody will care). If he plays well in the regular season however, he will be rewarded. I do think he should put forth a little more effort, but I understand why he may be a little reserved in SL.
    I have seen you say this multiple times. But can you tell me how/when Austin got hurt in SL last year? Because game logs show he played every game for 30+ mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Above the Rim View Post
    I have seen you say this multiple times. But can you tell me how/when Austin got hurt in SL last year? Because game logs show he played every game for 30+ mins.
    If I recall correctly he had surgery for bone spurs twice as a result of summer league. He recovered in time for the season, but it is still a concern. And I'm pretty sure I have never mentioned this, so idk where the hell "multiple times" comes from.

If I recall correctly he had surgery for bone spurs twice as a result of summer league. He recovered in time for the season, but it is still a concern. And I'm pretty sure I have never mentioned this, so idk where the hell "multiple times" comes from.
    If you say something with such certainty, though, shouldn't you KNOW? Not just "recall correctly". And I guess it wasn't you the other times, but I have seen multiple times now this same argument. If it is true that he got hurt in SL last year, then somebody show me, because I can't find anything.

Here is the article from after the last game in Summer League. He exited briefly due to a bruised calf, but came right back in and had his best game. Said it was the best he has felt since entering the league.

He had bone spurs at the end of the 2012-13 season - maybe that is where the confusion is. Nothing to do with summer league.

There goes another Withey excuse. Maybe he just stinks.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...ard_aus_2.html

OK, so trade him for what? We're not the only ones that saw him play poorly in the SL. Why would anyone give us anything for him? We're not the only smart ones in the league.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Mac getting salty

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    OK, so trade him for what? We're not the only ones that saw him play poorly in the SL. Why would anyone give us anything for him? We're not the only smart ones in the league.
    I agree with this. You can't get anything for this guy. Cole Aldrich had a better summer league.

What happened? Last season when Withey had decent games against teams that were giving half effort, people around here wanted him to be a starter. Man, how fast the tides turn around here. Sheesh
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    What happened? Last season when Withey had decent games against teams that were giving half effort, people around here wanted him to be a starter. Man, how fast the tides turn around here. Sheesh
    He went from "Board Sweetheart" to board "Eric Gordon."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Flavor of the week(s).

It was either him or ajinca...it's not like there was a ton of choice about our starting center.

Oh, no, wait.

Also stiemsma.

Yeah, definitely see your point.

Now, we've got this asik fella, he seems to be good, and this other young chap, he seems to have the potential to play 5 minutes without getting embarassed by some oak trees playing basketball...

Sometimes new players can change perspectives, who would have thought!

I just read where Coach Gates said that Withey arrived at SL with a sore foot and still pushed through it. His words: ''He fought through it,'' Gates said. ''He hurt his foot before he got here for conditioning work. It haltered him a little bit, but I was very pleased.'' Perhaps we had best remember that is was just SL and give him a mulligan.

Quote Originally Posted by Above the Rim View Post
    I agree with this. You can't get anything for this guy. Cole Aldrich had a better summer league.
    Cole Aldrich played in one Summer League game. Cole Aldrich has had 5 years NBA experience.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-20-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS1717 View Post
    I just read where Coach Gates said that Withey arrived at SL with a sore foot and still pushed through it. His words: ''He fought through it,'' Gates said. ''He hurt his foot before he got here for conditioning work. It haltered him a little bit, but I was very pleased.'' Perhaps we had best remember that is was just SL and give him a mulligan.
    Jeff Withey was not 100%. No more needs to be said. Jeff Withey for backup center.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-20-2014 at 01:09 AM.

This thread is a complete joke. Withey has a sore foot and plays through it during SL and some people just assume the worst and say he should be cut if anything. Expecting another productive year from Withey. Go Big Jeff.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-20-2014 at 01:20 AM.

If it was anywhere near serious they simply would have sit him, summer league is useless, we all know it. So it probably wasn't serious at all, which means all of his sucking was in good percentage his own fault anyway.

Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-20-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Thread Information