Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should Jeff Withey be traded?

Should Jeff Withey be traded?

From watching summer league it seems like his offensive game has declined and his rebounding hasn't improved. He's already 24, which is older than a majority of our rotational players and makes me question how much growth he has left. Ajinca has proven that he can play and Pat Young is a cheaper option and arguably a better fit. If we could trade him for a SF who could help at all, should we do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    Yes in a second. I have always felt he is unnecessary since we got Asik, with Asik/Davis/Ajinca there is no minutes at center for him and bring Young in as the big to develop into a role player.

how much would he realistically fetch in a trade tho, would have to package him I would think
    never assume

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Very disappointed in Withey's performance.

But by the same token, not fair to be able to not give a lot of clout to a solid summer league performance short of training camp invites...and then go all in on the negative for a poor one. Anyone can have a string of 4 substandard games, right?

At most we could 3rd string sf like a Quincy Miller but not much.

1-6

I think other teams have access to the same tape we do. I don't know who would want him unless it was another team with an underachiever at a loaded position.

Best option is to stick with him at this point at hope he plays better with better players. That does happen. Some guys just need to be surrounded by better players so they can do the little things that help you win games w/o the pressure of having to do things they can't do well.
    @mcnamara247

There's a certain "IT " factor he lacks and wont find in his locker. That's what i see . If he was Jason Smith..... but he's not, AAron Gray even, But He's not. We got him in a trade and I was encouraged at the time due to his final years' performance.

BUT, from Draft express, not that long ago: Withey is not particularly aggressive looking to establish himself in the post even against inferior competition, and doesn't always look all that interested in making his presence felt offensively in general, seemingly saving his energy for his work on the other end of the floor at times. This lack of aggression shows up in particular in his relatively mediocre work on the offensive glass, where his 2.6 offensive rebounds per-40 ranks last amongst top-100 centers."

Doubt if we could get anything for him But, given our current C depth and SF depth, I vote yes.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    From watching summer league it seems like his offensive game has declined and his rebounding hasn't improved. He's already 24, which is older than a majority of our rotational players and makes me question how much growth he has left. Ajinca has proven that he can play and Pat Young is a cheaper option and arguably a better fit. If we could trade him for a SF who could help at all, should we do it?

9 trade him for cash and open up a spot for Fells. Not too impressed with him after the weight gain.

9 trade him for cash and open up a spot for Fells. Not too impressed with him after the weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think other teams have access to the same tape we do. I don't know who would want him unless it was another team with an underachiever at a loaded position.

Best option is to stick with him at this point at hope he plays better with better players. That does happen. Some guys just need to be surrounded by better players so they can do the little things that help you win games w/o the pressure of having to do things they can't do well.
    Exactly what I was thinking! I mean players are having a bad stretch and everyones screaming TRADE HIM, but why would you? Especially with young players like withey, after bad stretches their trade value is so low and there is quiet a good chance that it will be at least any time soon higher! other teams are doing their homework too

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    If we want a top 55 protected 2nd rounder then sure. But what's really the point?

I have been shocked at how bad Withey was in Vegas. He just doesn't seem to have any offense at all. He blocked some shots, but he should be grabbing rebounds like Cole Aldrich is grabbing, but he only has about half as many.

I'd almost rather bring in another stretch 4. Austin Daye comes to mind after watching him shoot. Plus he's been in the Spurs system and I don't think he'd be to hard to get

I'd almost rather bring in another stretch 4. Austin Daye comes to mind after watching him shoot. Plus he's been in the Spurs system and I don't think he'd be to hard to get

He is still contracted

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    He is still contracted
    I meant through trade. Sorry about that. I think he could be had for a second considering he logs no minutes for the spurs. I'd put his value around the same as Witheys, but I think his skillet is a bigger need for our team

Can Dell send him to the D league and fill his spot with someone else ?
    Last edited by SaintPelican225; 07-18-2014 at 03:13 PM.

When I saw that they would be "featuring" Withey in summer league, I laughed a little bit. Withey is a guy who does little things that help you win. He's not a guy you can expect to win one on one battles. He's a true 7 footer, rim protector, he blocks shots, he's a decent finisher on put backs and dump offs, sets good screens. If you want him to score on the block w/ his back to the basket or guard Al Jefferson one on one in the post, then you will be disappointed. He is what he is - a decent 4th or 5th big that will have the opportunity to crack the rotation and/or fill in and play hard in the event of an injury. He has little trade value anyway, so why would you try to deal him?

...we get to go McDonalds
    Withey's a case of not getting so excited about a 2nd rounder because 2nd rounders typically have a long way to go. Same is true of Russ and Young. College is a whole different animal than the NBA.
    Last edited by Primetime; 07-18-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Withey has a serious knack for blocking shots. The main thing we need out of the backup 5 is someone who can defend against 5's and protect the rim. He does that.

I doubt you get anything of value for Whitey. If only he would activate beast mode.... if only.

I would think the only hope with Withey that makes sense is trying to find a underperforming SF on a team that is thin at the 5.

Sort of how we traded Julian Wright for Marco Belinelli or Vasquez for Pondexter. The only other scenario I would see is an in season trade if he shows some potential like last season and we combine him with someone else to swap with a team that has a need at 2 positions(or want an expiring) we have assets in and they have assets at positions we need like SF. I.E. Willie Green/Jason Smith for Brackins/Songalia.

Is this thread freaking serious? Jeff Withey should be our backup center right now. I can think of multiple players on the roster who need to go before Jeff. It takes some players 4 years to find their footing in the NBA. Jeff Withey is an active big who still has a lot of room to add to his game.

I would rather see Alexis Ajinca, Darius Miller, or Austin Rivers get traded before Jeff Withey.

I won't even pick on Patric Young or Jimmer Fredette because they just got here and one is a polished rookie and the other deserves to be here.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-18-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Rivers and Withey for Harkless, make it happen.

Every day. Every gosh damn day that I log on I see trade proposals out of nowhere. How about stand pat. It's move Gordon or stand pat. It's really that simple. Stand pat works for me. Posters will always be begging for players and trying to trade their players day in and day out. That is the way on PR. I guess there's not that much to talk about during the off season so posters want to make a million trades.

Why don't I just go start a "should Anthony Davis be traded for Andrew Wiggins" thread and see how that one turns out. At least that way the team will have someone 6'8" who can play SF. But then posters will try to trade him too if he isn't dominant right away.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Is this thread freaking serious? Jeff Withey should be our backup center right now. I can think of multiple players on the roster who need to go before Jeff. It takes some players 4 years to find their footing in the NBA. Jeff Withey is an active big who still has a lot of room to add to his game.

I would rather see Alexis Ajinca, Darius Miller, or Austin Rivers get traded (if you can find anyone to take them) before Jeff Withey.

I won't even pick on Patric Young or Jimmer Fredette because they just got here and one is a polished rookie and the other deserves to be here.
    And if he is as capable as you seem to think then I definitely wouldn't mind trading him. We have a three big rotation already and a capable backup with more diversity in Ajinca. Along with another promising prospect in Young. We have heavy needs at the SF position and it be very smart of us to use a player that we have an excess of to trade for a player at a position of need.

Calm down. Go visit another thread if people don't see whithey as you do and you can't handle that.

Thread Information