Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: OT: Would you trade Wiggins for Love?

That's a tough one cause I still believe Wiggins will be a special player in this league. I think Wiggins had a lot to do with Lebron coming back to Cleveland. He saw a kid that reminds him of himself and can help him win titles when he gets to be where Kobe is now. I think he wants to pass the torch to Wiggins and the roles will reverse down the road. Right now Lebron sees Wiggins as possibly being his Pippen and down the road he will be his Pippen. LOL! They can compete with the team they have now. And if he's wrong about Wiggins, he can go chase a ring elsewhere in 2 years.

Why wouldn't they just wait until next off season to get Love?
    Love has a player option next season.
    If he really wants to sign with the Cav's then he will without the Wolves getting anything back.
    It's too big a gamble if they trade all their assets away and then Love signs with the Rockets, Lakers or GS in the next off season.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeWhoDat View Post
    That's a tough one cause I still believe Wiggins will be a special player in this league. I think Wiggins had a lot to do with Lebron coming back to Cleveland. He saw a kid that reminds him of himself and can help him win titles when he gets to be where Kobe is now. I think he wants to pass the torch to Wiggins and the roles will reverse down the road. Right now Lebron sees Wiggins as possibly being his Pippen and down the road he will be his Pippen. LOL! They can compete with the team they have now. And if he's wrong about Wiggins, he can go chase a ring elsewhere in 2 years.
    I don't think they would trade him unless if Lebron approved it and said that he would rather Love.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Why wouldn't they just wait until next off season to get Love?
    Love has a player option next season.
    If he really wants to sign with the Cav's then he will without the Wolves getting anything back.
    It's too big a gamble if they trade all their assets away and then Love signs with the Rockets, Lakers or GS in the next off season.
    Look back in the thread. This question has been answered several times.

Of course, when people are asked - Would you rather this or that, they want to answer, "Both!" It's not that simple, though.
    @mcnamara247

Wiggins and Bennett sat out of the Cavs' game tonight... Hmmmm

Personally, it's not a close decision for me.... Love is the best PF in the game today. On a starting Top 5 lineup TODAY, u would have a consensus team of: Chris Paul-PG, Kevin Durant SG,, LeBron James SF, Kevin Love PF, Dwight Howard C. Period. U can sub maybe Chris for another PG to your personal preference, but the rest are pretty locked in.... Love is that good. Dude can put up 30/20/5 on an off night.....

Love has just never had an opportunity to do his thing in a meaningful game...

Wiggins has a ceiling and I don't know if it's Hall of Fame caliber. But what I do know is that the only thing from Love being Hall of Fame worthy is because he hasn't been on a team to showcase his ability in a playoff setting. Love is a top 10 PF of all time and that's not a reach even with him not being able to show it in a playoff yet. I truly don't know if Wiggins could ever carry a team like we know Love has.

If Love plays for the Cavaliers right now, they are in the Finals. If the Cavs somehow get a defensive minded center to help Love out in the post on defense... They WILL be CHAMPIONS, without a doubt. They would be that good. Love is light years better than Bosh and Kyrie can do what a Wade contributed....

My only concern is since Bron is the de facto GM for the team now, that he tries to bring too many "friends" and "vets" into the fold and sacrifice his championship longevity with Cleveland for the 2 year championship run now. I would give up Wiggins, Thompson, and the latest 1st round pick for 2015.... That's it. They have assets where they don't have to mortgage all of their future for now...

If Love played defense, he could possibly be considered the best PF ever and that's including Tim Duncan.... Blasphemy? Only until you watch Love dominate a game like he does with his scoring and rebounding would anyone understand.... Love would get better defensively with LeBron in the fold or with a defensive center.... Love has unbelievable games that go truly unnoticed because of playing for a losing club in Minnesota. But that dude can ball and I believe he is a clutch player waiting to have his moments.... Love Just needs an opportunity to display his greatness...

And truth be told, I don't even want to see that team assembled because I'm not a Bron fan.... But if Bron gets Love, Kyrie, make sound decisions on those 2015 1st round picks, and stay relatively healthy, they could run off 4 out of 6 championships, easy. U can find another 2 guard to provide what Wiggins would give for the next 3 years, but you can't find what Love would give u on a championship contender... Love takes pressure off of Bron and Kyrie at the end of a game to hit THAT shot, Wiggins would defer to Bron and Kyrie for at least the next 3 years.... Thus, you have your answer. U trade for Love and u know u have a 5 year Window, day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Why can't the Cavs wait a year and sign Love when he is a free agent? They'll have the cap space and Love is clearly interested. Why blow up your team when a little patience will allow you to have your cake and eat it too?
    The Timberwolves will deal K-Love for something. So Flip Saunders will trade him to the Warriors or another team before they let Love become a free agent and get nothing back.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    It absolutely is a fair argument because Grant Hill was a young, multiple time, All NBA player and Tim Duncan was an unproven rookie. The Spurs had a future Hall of Famer with only about 5 more years left and a win now mentality. How are the situations different?

You can take Dell's approach of trading lottery tickets for proven assets to an extreme that actually hurts the potential ceiling of your franchise. If you trade all your lottery tickets, you can never hit the jackpot. If you sold all your internet stocks before the tech bubble burst, you certainly missed out on the big losers, but you also miss out on the massive uptick of the Microsoft, Google, and Apples of the world.

But back to basketball. "The Dell Demps Strategy" (and I like it) following it religiously would lead you to have traded Kevin Love for Amare in 2008. Or James Hardin for Deron Williams. Or Kevin Durant for Gilber Arenas. Or Lamarcus Aldridge for Ben Wallace.

In other words, it's not a philosophy to live by.
    No, it's not a fair question because the answers would most likely be slanted due to our knowledge of the how TD turned out to be: a HOF player. But anyways, Dell never traded away the #1 pick, we're talking #6, #10, and a pick likely to be outside the lottery. The situation at hand and what Dell has done in the past are extremely different in that respect. And they don't need to hit the jackpot. They have LeBron. And to a lesser extent they have Kyrie. The Cavs aren't going to make the same mistake again of taking LeBron's talents for granted. They are going to do everything they can to surround him with a competent supporting cast capable of winning sooner rather than later. Cleveland doesn't have the time or leverage to take that risk. We're talking a borderline top 10 player here. It's a no brainer.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I would do anything for Love, but i won't do thaaaat

Banned
    If they can get him knowing that he and Lebron won't bolt in two years leaving them in worse shape than they were before they got there...deep breath...then yes.

Andrew Wiggins could be a great player in the future..... James/Love could be the greatest 3/4 combination since Bird/McHale
    Hornets fan since day 1.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    I would do anything for Love, but i won't do thaaaat
    I don't know how many people got this. But I did. Thumbs up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    No, it's not a fair question because the answers would most likely be slanted due to our knowledge of the how TD turned out to be: a HOF player. But anyways, Dell never traded away the #1 pick, we're talking #6, #10, and a pick likely to be outside the lottery. The situation at hand and what Dell has done in the past are extremely different in that respect. And they don't need to hit the jackpot. They have LeBron. And to a lesser extent they have Kyrie. The Cavs aren't going to make the same mistake again of taking LeBron's talents for granted. They are going to do everything they can to surround him with a competent supporting cast capable of winning sooner rather than later. Cleveland doesn't have the time or leverage to take that risk. We're talking a borderline top 10 player here. It's a no brainer.
    I don't understand how having additional information, ie History, makes the question unfair?! Am I allowed to use other examples to make my point? Would you have traded Kevin Love before his rookie season for Amare? Or James Hardin for Deron Williams? Or Kevin Durant for Gilbert Arenas? Or Lamarcus Aldridge for Ben Wallace? All those guys were unproven rookies, and all the players I'm asking if you would trade for them were multiple time All NBA guys, including the previous year.

And the situations may be different from what Dell has done, but the philosophy is still the same: Take the Proven Guy Over the Unknown Guy

All I'm suggesting is that the philosophy isn't ALWAYS true, yet people on here act like it's the new NBA Axiom of how to build.

The Cavs have Lebron for the rest of his career unless Dan Gilbert royally screws it up. His decision wasn't about the Cavs, it was about Ohio. But this Cavs team as currently constructed is better than the one he won 60+ games with and made it to the finals. Even if Love opts into his contract, you're agreeing to 2 years of Love , in exchange for 7 years of multiple young prospects, including one who might be transcendent and the leagues best wing player when he's in his prime.

You all act like it's easy. What I'm suggesting is that history shows us it's not always going to be the right thing to do.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 07-20-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Thread Information