Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: OT: Would you trade Wiggins for Love?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Why can't the Cavs wait a year and sign Love when he is a free agent? They'll have the cap space and Love is clearly interested. Why blow up your team when a little patience will allow you to have your cake and eat it too?
    They won't have the cap room.

And what are they "Blowing up?"

A couple of guys who have never done anything in the league for a guaranteed monster on offense and on the glass who is just hitting his prime. Honestly, I don't care what the Cavs do. But if the Pelicans were in this exact situation, I would be writing a huge article everyday begging Dell to pull the trigger.
    @mcnamara247

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    ESPN - Cavs are willing to trade No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins to Timberwolves for Kevin Love -- sources

They might have found a brain after all in that city

Again, Wiggins is the 3rd pick if Embiid doesn't get hurt. Now - a healthy Embiid for Love, that I would hesitate on. Wiggins projects as Demarr Derozen with slightly better defense. And that is in 3 or 4 years, when Lebron will be in his 14th or 15th season. No thanks. Give me the guy who would be the best PF in the East from Day 1 and for the next 5-7 years at least.

It will be nice to get Love out the west

I do it all day if i'm Cleveland. Teams take time to gel and Lebron is 30 now. Let's say next season is just growing pains. Now Lebrons 31 going into their championship run. Only a few teams have made it to the finals 4 times in a row (lebron included), so they have from when Lebron is 31-35ish and then we can expect lebron to start taking a hit physically incrementally. Lebron's window isn't as wide open as people tend to think imo. You need to pretty much sell out for the next 5 years in Cleveland; Lebron will never be as good as he is now again. If you wait for wiggins, which is pretty much 3 years at least until he blooms (think Davis will be in year 3 and he's no where near what we think he WILL be), and the Cavs championship run STARTS at the tail end of Lebron's prime.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Very well said.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I do it all day if i'm Cleveland. Teams take time to gel and Lebron is 30 now. Let's say next season is just growing pains. Now Lebrons 31 going into their championship run. Only a few teams have made it to the finals 4 times in a row (lebron included), so they have from when Lebron is 31-35ish and then we can expect lebron to start taking a hit physically incrementally. Lebron's window isn't as wide open as people tend to think imo. You need to pretty much sell out for the next 5 years in Cleveland; Lebron will never be as good as he is now again. If you wait for wiggins, which is pretty much 3 years at least until he blooms (think Davis will be in year 3 and he's no where near what we think he WILL be), and the Cavs championship run STARTS at the tail end of Lebron's prime.
    I initially said keep Wiggins cause you get Wiggins + 10mil to help out the bench, but the idea of pairing Kyrie, LeBron, and Love is too enticing. If the goal is to get at least one for Cleveland, then you gotta pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I initially said keep Wiggins cause you get Wiggins + 10mil to help out the bench, but the idea of pairing Kyrie, LeBron, and Love is too enticing. If the goal is to get at least one for Cleveland, then you gotta pull the trigger.
    Yeah, i don't LOVE it value wise, but there's more than value to this story without a doubt. I think someone else said it, if i were the Pelicans, i doubt i'd do this, but if i have Lebron, i gotta give him a shot. I fully believe 1 championship in Cleveland would be like our Saints Superbowl (i'm still enamored with it ); two would be icing.

One of the rare times I'm on the fence. Before the LeBron " home coming" I would say absolutely not. With LeBron only on a two year deal I probably would.

You trade wiggins, for love if he extends.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    They won't have the cap room.

And what are they "Blowing up?"

A couple of guys who have never done anything in the league for a guaranteed monster on offense and on the glass who is just hitting his prime. Honestly, I don't care what the Cavs do. But if the Pelicans were in this exact situation, I would be writing a huge article everyday begging Dell to pull the trigger.
    They're giving up a young nucleus that would continue to compete long after LeBron leaves/retires. They're giving up the financial flexibility needed to fill in the roster once they figure out what they have, where everyone fits, and how Blatt wants to play. They're giving up the depth necessary to make it through an 82 game schedule and gives you an insurance policy on any injuries (we of all people should value that).

But most importantly, they're giving up one of the most enticing prospects in the NBA who has one of the highest floors I can remember. Very worst case scenario he is an athletic freak who has a decent feel for defense and can run the floor better than most. But playing next to LeBron and Kyrie he would be able to work off ball as a cutter which is where he is most effective and he and LeBron would reek havoc on the wings. Also, playing with LeBron for a few years would give him probably the best example of work ethic to realize his enormous potential.

Now I obviously am not advocating not going after Love, but there is no way I even put Wiggins in the trade talks because of what that could do to his mentality. And I definitely would at least wait until the trade deadline to at least see Wiggins in action because I think Flip Saunders is hoping for a LaMarcus Aldridge-type situation to go down this season so he seems unwilling to deal him in the offseason unless he is blown away. I think patience is necessary right now. The Cavs are basically guaranteed a top 2-3 seed just by virtue of employing the best player on earth and playing in the East. So why rush now and never get a chance to see what Wiggins can do on a team that seems to perfectly compliment his skills?

Was lucky to get wiggins in the first place
    Was lucky to get James back

If you are talking about being in Cleveland's shoes right now, yes make the trade if love extends.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    No way in hell do you trade Wiggins unless Love is opting into the last year of his contract.

NO.WAY.IN.HELL.

You also have to see what's available on the market if you keep Wiggins and trade other assets for proven young(ish) vets. I suggested this in another thread, but what if Waiters and a #1 can you Paul Millsap? Or some other combination of assets that doesn't include Wiggins can get you Greg Monroe or Al Horford. Gotta consider all possibilities that allow you to keep Wiggins first because his ceiling is super high. But if Love agrees to opt in, and all other options don't yield you very much, then you trade Wiggins.

But imagine a scenario where San Antonio, with David Robinson already in the fold, decided to trade Tim Duncan before his rookie season for Grant Hill.... How would that have worked out???
    Not a fair question because we know how TD has turned out. Naming the worst absolute argument doesn't support anything. I could say imagine the Lakers trading Marc Gasol for Pau. Not exactly the antithesis of your example but it makes my point the same. This comes down to assessing potential and weighing that against the preference to win now. I like the way Dell thinks which is to trade lottery tickets for proven assets (granted this is a larger risk being the #1 pick) so I would trade Wiggins for Love. Wiggins is not a guaranteed franchise player like AD and others before him were projected to be right out of the draft, which makes the decision that much easier for me too.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-17-2014 at 08:07 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    No way in hell do you trade Wiggins unless Love is opting into the last year of his contract.

NO.WAY.IN.HELL.

You also have to see what's available on the market if you keep Wiggins and trade other assets for proven young(ish) vets. I suggested this in another thread, but what if Waiters and a #1 can you Paul Millsap? Or some other combination of assets that doesn't include Wiggins can get you Greg Monroe or Al Horford. Gotta consider all possibilities that allow you to keep Wiggins first because his ceiling is super high. But if Love agrees to opt in, and all other options don't yield you very much, then you trade Wiggins.

But imagine a scenario where San Antonio, with David Robinson already in the fold, decided to trade Tim Duncan before his rookie season for Grant Hill.... How would that have worked out???
    True, but that's a best case for the draft pick and a worst case for the player. Hill got hurt, Duncan became one of the top 10 best ever.

Had the Raptors traded like, Andrea Barge for Paul Pierce or something, is the opposite side of the coin.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The only reason not to take Love is he's a lousy defender. At least the first half of it anyway.

Wanna be good immediately? All you need is Love. Which is what I'd do.

I think Love signing an extension should be an assumption in this whole debate. Otherwise it's worthless.

Love isn't leaving if this trade goes through. I was assuming we all assumed that.

It all comes down to how you view Wiggins ceiling AND how likely you think he is to get there. I never thought it was that high. Maybe 10% chance he gets to Paul George IMO. But if you believe he is the next great wing - Kobe or Lebron-esque - I could see why you would hesitate. I have seen no evidence to believe he will ever get there though. Somewhere between Derozen and George, in a couple of years. Maybe.

Side effect of this is it knocks another WC team out of the playoff chase short term.

I can't see the LAL, Kings, Wolves, or Jazz contending for a spot this year if this trade goes through.

Nuggets extremely unlikely.

10 teams going for 8 spots with the 8 teams who made it last year, us and Phoenix competing. Just gotta be better than 2 of those teams. I like us more than Phoenix and Memphis personally. Would also take us over Portland, and Dallas is kind of thin in a few areas. If injury bug bites them, we will fly by. A lot of things broke right for us this offseason. Just get lucky with injuries and I think playoffs are all but guaranteed.

Just curious, and I'll do the obvious for you, "Cavs would never do that."

But what I'm asking is would you accept Wiggins for Ryno?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Just curious, and I'll do the obvious for you, "Cavs would never do that."

But what I'm asking is would you accept Wiggins for Ryno?
    Is water wet?

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Is water wet?

Lol
    Lebron James >>>>>>>>>>>> Omer Asik

What does a pic of a track athlete of indeterminable age, which makes it impossible to identify the appropriate emotional response to, have to do with what I said?

Why trade Wiggins for Love
    LBJ 's game still translates well as a PF after his prime
    Maybe Wiggins can be the SF

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What does a pic of a track athlete of indeterminable age, which makes it impossible to identify the appropriate emotional response to, have to do with what I said?
    I would trade anything not nailed down except AD for Wiggins.

Thread Information