Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: OT: Would you trade Wiggins for Love?

OT: Would you trade Wiggins for Love?

The Cavs seems to have a great problem currently. To either trade for what may be a very good player in the future for one that is guaranteed to be one now. Personally I would Lebron is soon to be 30 and with a player like Love next to him they would be favorites for the title for the next 3 years. Wiggins will take 3-4 years to develop whereas Lebron will be in his decline. I also believe Love is a better fit for that team than Wiggins.

1-6

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    It depends on what my priorities are as a GM. If I'm a team that need to be good now I'm giving him up for Love all day, as long as he signs a long term extension. If I'm a team that is looking to build for the long haul Wiggins may be worth taking a gamble on, as far as time is concerned.

If I'm Dan Gilbert. I'm giving up Wiggins for Love and sending in my measurements for my ring size.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Yuuuup. Potential is potential and Love has proved he's a superstar. Also gotta keep Lebron happy with that two year deal.
    @DanielVeuleman

What's the rush there's still the trade deadline, I want to see what Wiggins looks like in the NBA first, also with Lebron and Kyrie, how much more offense do you really need. I'm not even sure I'd move Waiters or Bennet yet to be honest (unless it's for love of course).

Kyrie
    Miller/Waiters
    Wiggins/James Jones
    Lebron/Thompson
    Andy V

Small ball 4 Lebron!

I wouldn't sacrifice flexibility, Wiggins provides that on his rookie deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    What's the rush there's still the trade deadline, I want to see what Wiggins looks like in the NBA first, also with Lebron and Kyrie, how much more offense do you really need. I'm not even sure I'd move Waiters or Bennet yet to be honest (unless it's for love of course).

Kyrie
    Miller/Waiters
    Wiggins/James Jones
    Lebron/Thompson
    Andy V

Small ball 4 Lebron!
    Once Wiggins sign his rookie deal he can't be traded this year. Their cap flexibility will be gone by this summer with or without wiggins. With Lebron making 22 Mil and Kyrie making 15 and TT maybe netting a 9 mil deal.

I would, take the proven asset and be more championship ready this season

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Once Wiggins sign his rookie deal he can't be traded this year. Their cap flexibility will be gone by this summer with or without wiggins. With Lebron making 22 Mil and Kyrie making 15 and TT maybe netting a 9 mil deal.
    barely moves the needle for me. Also is that rookie thing true? I thought TRob was traded his rookie year...

I want to be the most dominant team for a decade. I'm not sure Love, Kyrie, Lebron is better than Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka

They have Lebron, so it makes sense to go for Love. Otherwise I would chose Wiggins every time. Love has had injury problems, and he is owed a lot of money.

...we get to go McDonalds
    To me, it's not a a hard decision. You keep Wiggins. For the same price of a Love, you can keep Wiggins and add other pieces in the future. Plus, there's a good to great chance that LeBron and Wiggins can cover an entire court defensively by themselves. About as close defensively to a Scottie & Michael as we've seen in a while if Wiggins pans out defensively.

If your going all in for a championship this year, then you trade for Love. If I were the GM, I would keep Wiggins.

If Love agrees to a managable L/T deal, "YES!!!"

Wiggins for Love was the obvious conclusion the moment LeBron went to the Cavs. The only thing that could stop it is LeBron being intrigued enough with Wiggins that he'd be willing to kick the tires first.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    To me, it's not a a hard decision. You keep Wiggins. For the same price of a Love, you can keep Wiggins and add other pieces in the future. Plus, there's a good to great chance that LeBron and Wiggins can cover an entire court defensively by themselves. About as close defensively to a Scottie & Michael as we've seen in a while if Wiggins pans out defensively.
    Lebron defense has been regressing

I think it's also a bit of a fit issue. I think Lebron is better suited as a small ball 4 than a 3, and the real need is a rim protector, Andy V is a good defender but not that guy. I'd rather make a run at an Asik type with Waiters, Bennet

Without a doubt is make Wiggins available to trade for Love.

I mean I hope they do, for the sake of our championship window down the road, but if I'm Cleveland I pass

Cavs have the benefit of being able to watch Wiggins in practice right now against other NBA players. If they feel he's several years away, then they should consider moving him for Love. But if he looks like he can be at least a very good defender from day 1, I think they should keep him because I don't feel like Love will improve them enough offensively for what he takes away on the defensive end. The Cavs have enough good scorers. They need defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Cavs have the benefit of being able to watch Wiggins in practice right now against other NBA players
    They do?
    SIGN A SF

Am I the only one who finds it funny that some people are saying "No, Kevin Love is overrated" while others are saying, "No, Wiggins could be the next Scottie Pippen"?

Have we forgotten what overrated means?

And yes, you do the trade in a heartbeat if you're the Cavs. Lebron is on a two year "Prove-we-can-compete" deal. Regardless of how good Wiggins becomes, I don't see his first two years in the league providing more value to a "win now" team than two years of Love.

Why can't the Cavs wait a year and sign Love when he is a free agent? They'll have the cap space and Love is clearly interested. Why blow up your team when a little patience will allow you to have your cake and eat it too?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Why can't the Cavs wait a year and sign Love when he is a free agent? They'll have the cap space and Love is clearly interested. Why blow up your team when a little patience will allow you to have your cake and eat it too?
    They won't have the cap-space, IIRC. Irving's contract kicks in, LeBron gets bank, and they also have to pay Thompson.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    No way in hell do you trade Wiggins unless Love is opting into the last year of his contract.

NO.WAY.IN.HELL.

You also have to see what's available on the market if you keep Wiggins and trade other assets for proven young(ish) vets. I suggested this in another thread, but what if Waiters and a #1 can you Paul Millsap? Or some other combination of assets that doesn't include Wiggins can get you Greg Monroe or Al Horford. Gotta consider all possibilities that allow you to keep Wiggins first because his ceiling is super high. But if Love agrees to opt in, and all other options don't yield you very much, then you trade Wiggins.

But imagine a scenario where San Antonio, with David Robinson already in the fold, decided to trade Tim Duncan before his rookie season for Grant Hill.... How would that have worked out???

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    No hesitation in my mind, I wouldn't do it. The cap you can save while still preserving youth? Sign me up.

Thread Information