Pelicans Report

Thread: Draft Lotto Reform

Draft Lotto Reform

I like this

Dell WILL NOT like this.

He made the pick top 3 protected because only the top 3 spots are drawn currently. In this new system, the top 6 are drawn. Now, the possibility to give the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick to the Rockets would exist.

He will not be a fan of that if it happens, though I doubt it happens by next year. But its possible.
    @mcnamara247

i think it's pretty fine how it is now personally. this will make teams who are bad permanently bad & teams who just missed the playoffs potential powerhouses in the making.

I saw an idea that I like for the NBA. Basically the draft order would be based on team records over a 3 year period instead of just one. It should make it a lot harder for any team to tank targeting a particular player. It would probably need a couple exceptions, perhaps you can't be #1 in consecutive years. Probably you'd also want to exclude the top tier of teams, probably like now where the playoff teams aren't eligible for the best picks.
    "Timing is everything. Chemistry is something that you don't just throw in the frying pan and mix it up with another something, then throw it on top of something, then fry it up and put it in a tortilla and put in a microwave, heat it up and give it to you and expect it to taste good. You know? For those of you who can cook, y'all know what I'm talking about. If y'all can't cook, this doesn't concern you."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Dell WILL NOT like this.

He made the pick top 3 protected because only the top 3 spots are drawn currently. In this new system, the top 6 are drawn. Now, the possibility to give the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick to the Rockets would exist.

He will not be a fan of that if it happens, though I doubt it happens by next year. But its possible.
    It would seem unfair to change this part of the lottery given how protections in trades are based off of the current system. I would think it would take several years to institute such a change given these types of situations.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It would seem unfair to change this part of the lottery given how protections in trades are based off of the current system. I would think it would take several years to institute such a change given these types of situations.
    I tend to agree. I think this will be brought to the leagues' attention and it will take a few years

I think the bottom 2 teams should be slotted 5 and 6 and leave the regular lottery system in place. At least it would allow for some entertainment, strategy and art to tanking.

Thread Information