Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: An Educated Guess on the Pelicans Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I think our backup 5 (whoever wins the spot out of Whitey and Frenchy) will get the majority of minutes behind Asik until the 6 minute mark or so in the 4th, when our "finishing 5" will dominate the floor.

That first sub when bringing in Ryno to slide AD to the 5 will be the only few minutes that he's there until the last part of the game. Just my opinion.
    Trying to figure this out. So, you are saying that the backup 5 will play from the beginning of the 2nd and 4th to the 6 minute mark? 12 minutes total?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Speaking of release, I have been playing with Eric Gordon for 3 years now and I am still terrible with him. Can't get that release down for the life of me. Money with Jrue and Ryno though.
    I can get it down with EG on jump shots but with threes he goes 0-6 when i play. I remember getting it down last year after playing a lot but i seem to have lost the timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to figure this out. So, you are saying that the backup 5 will play from the beginning of the 2nd and 4th to the 6 minute mark? 12 minutes total?
    I can't/won't put a number (of minutes) on it, but I just don't think AD will be the backup 5 on the floor for every minute that Asik is on the bench.

Maybe I missed it, but per your article... there is not one minute that any other backup 5 is on the court, and I was just sayin that Frenchy/Withey will get some minutes. How many? I have no idea.

Hey MM, do you think Patric Young could be played before Ajinca or Whithey? I know it would be minor minutes because Asik/Davis/Anderson will get the big share but I seem to think Young might bring more energy and be better for a spot PF/C role. My knowledge of Monty though tells me he may never play young(a rookie) over someone who has been in his system for a year, even if we or some of us think it may be better.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I can't/won't put a number (of minutes) on it, but I just don't think AD will be the backup 5 on the floor for every minute that Asik is on the bench.

Maybe I missed it, but per your article... there is not one minute that any other backup 5 is on the court, and I was just sayin that Frenchy/Withey will get some minutes. How many? I have no idea.
    Who's to say Ryno won't get some minutes at C when AD and he are together? They were used that way at times last year.

/[/url]

Thoughts?
    Enjoyed the read, heres hoping we find the 9 man rotation that really works this year, I've always been on the "we need a center more" side of the argument, so to see asik in a pelicans uniform this year will be the happiest I've been in a while considering basketball in louisiana, being from baton rouge and having to watch the tigers struggle and the pelicans rebuild has been tough. Regardless, I cant tell you how many times i missed robin lopez last year (it's sad) despite his slightly above average ceiling. Adding asik and actually seeing how these shooters really work, it's not impossible to think they'll all just tee off this year with davis and asik ruling he paint/midrange area. This season will be one to remember if everyone can stay reasonably healthy. It's in no way a stretch to think this team could win 48 maybe even 50+ games if they actually do.

I wonder why everyone is sleeping on Anjica is pretty good for a fourth big.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Who's to say Ryno won't get some minutes at C when AD and he are together? They were used that way at times last year.
    Every game is different. Matchups change. Situations change. So lineups will change.

Ryno could very well see time at Center, but my point was that one of our backup centers will get minutes.

I think Monty will always play the guy who he thinks gives him the best chance to win.

I think the three bigs get all 96 minutes when healthy. The interesting question is who is the next big in line and is it dependent on which of the bigs is hurt? I think that will be the case. If Ryno goes down, more minutes for Babitt. AD goes down and maybe Young gets more time or perhaps a combo of Ajinca and Babbitt.

I think Monty will always play the guy who he thinks gives him the best chance to win.

I think the three bigs get all 96 minutes when healthy. The interesting question is who is the next big in line and is it dependent on which of the bigs is hurt? I think that will be the case. If Ryno goes down, more minutes for Babitt. AD goes down and maybe Young gets more time or perhaps a combo of Ajinca and Babbitt.
    Do we have a cheaper version of our big 3 forwards...Ryno goes down and you have Babbit easy correlation. If Davis goes down, the closest big to his game...not sure..Asik goes down I think it's Patrick Young you put in, someone who won't get pushed under the basket or least likely too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican_Brief View Post
    I wonder why everyone is sleeping on Anjica is pretty good for a fourth big.
    I think theyd rather see withey in that spot longterm, which might lead to more minutes than ajinca. He's bigger this year and i think they look at him as their long term backup center solution. I wouldn't be surprised to see withey out there a lot this year, even if ajinca ends up playing more minutes this season than withey. It's about the next season after this one for witheys game to really catch up to NBA ready. He holds his own for now and still makes mistakes, but he seems like a smart guy and will figure this out sometime soon. That might get him those fourth big minutes. But let's not kid ourselves, the trio of davis, asik, and anderson will have two of those guys on the court pretty much all times barring health concerns. Only a spare few minutes SHOULD be available if all goes to plan. Pray people. Pray.

I think Jeff is going to be *** to be honest. Also the back up center is always going to be a moving piece you don't look to find long term solutions for your 8th or or 9th spot.

you do look to lock down long term role players, without that the spurs wouldnt have won as many games as they have the last few seasons. not many moving parts to that team year to year. I'll continue to believe witheys here for the long term until informed otherwise.
    Last edited by Pelicans25_ZERO; 07-16-2014 at 07:36 PM.

I don't think anyone is "sleeping on Ajinca". What I keep trying to figure out is: If you give any other big minutes, who do you take them away from?

Because I got 38 for AD, 30 for Ryno, and 28 for Asik. All at the lower end of their ideal scare. 21 yr old superstars usually get 38-41 mpg, and Ryno was best when he played 31 per game, Asik best at 30.

So, if we give minutes to Ajinca or whomever, who do you want to take them away from?

34 minutes for Eric Gordon is about 6-8 too much imo. He really hasn't shown anything over the last few years that suggests he is a durable player (understatement of the century). I would rather put him on the Manu Ginobili minutes plan during the regular season.

Outside of that I am not a big fan of taking out your defensive anchor so early in the game but when Ryan Anderson is coming off the bench you might need to.

EDIT: Maybe a couple less minutes for Anthony Davis. I know superstars at that age play heavy minutes but they usually don't have the amount of missed games that AD has. We have the bigs to make up the minutes. Meh now that I keep thinking about it everyone on our team has injury history

I wouldn't be planning minutes for 4th big.

Do you think Monty would stay with the 9 man rotation now he has his big man in Asik? I don't see it in the bigs, bar ad-hoc need.

I don't think anyone is "sleeping on Ajinca". What I keep trying to figure out is: If you give any other big minutes, who do you take them away from?

Because I got 38 for AD, 30 for Ryno, and 28 for Asik. All at the lower end of their ideal scare. 21 yr old superstars usually get 38-41 mpg, and Ryno was best when he played 31 per game, Asik best at 30.

So, if we give minutes to Ajinca or whomever, who do you want to take them away from?
    Ajinca can get his minutes in the 4th quarter when the pels are blowing everybody out!

Thread Information