Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An Educated Guess on the Pelicans Rotation

An Educated Guess on the Pelicans Rotation

Took a look at Monty's habits when we were healthy last year and projected our rotation last year

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...cans-rotation/

Thoughts?
    @mcnamara247

Great piece! I definitely agree with your article. It will be very interesting to see who will be the "9th man". I wonder if Miller actually gets more minutes than Salmons sometime during the season. That's obviously if he is re-signed.
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

Great article, I agree with the initial starting unit. No way Evans should come of the bench is not that type of player, Tyreke needs his touches to start the game so he can get a feel for the game. That experiment failed bad last year. Either go with the Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Davis, Asik lineup or go with the controversial Holiday Evans Salmons Davis Asik lineup.....Which we probably cause Gordon to whine but he not worth starting just to keep the peace.

Considering how gordon was detrimental to the other players last season...god i wish it could have been different. I don't like playing tyreke at the 3 one bit but eh, you have to work with what you have at hand

The ability to not only matchup with most teams but to also present our own mismatches. Great pieces for an abundance of situations. Love it

I would LOVE those rotation and minutes! My only thing, and it's a personal opinion, is that Babbitt would be just as good as Salmons for the back-up SF spot. He seems like a better shooter than Salmons, but both are really good 3 pt shooters.

I like the rotation....

Ideally i would see "some" minutes going to another big but not many....

great job as always
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Enjoyable read, Thanks!

I hope you are right and Montel starts Reke but I have a feeling it'll be Salmons starting.

I like the article a lot. Thanks for the effort!

I would say I have a suspicion that Salmons will be starting too. He just screams to me to be this years Brian Roberts or Willie Green. A guy Monty sees as a veteran and probably even sees himself in like those other guys and gives unearned trust to from day one over other players on the roster.

man that starting unit looks good

Holiday-Gordon-Evans-Davis-Asik
    SIGN A SF

I posted this in another thread yesterday but my take is close to MM.

If I had to project a 2 deep today:

Jrue-Gordon-Evans-AD-Asik
    Russ-Rivers-Salmons (or whoever stands out)-Ryno-Ajinca

HOWEVER. I think they stagger the guard rotations to only 4 deep, so that either Jrue, Gordon, or Evans is always on the court and Rivers is the 4th one. I don't think Russ touches the floor unless we have big injury issues. If one of the Jrue or Gordon goes down, Evans slides over and Salmons or whoever wins backup SF battle moves up.

In that situation they will still use a guard rotation and it will be The two non injured guards and Rivers and maybe a few minutes for Russ. If a Evans goes down then Salmons or whatever SF wins that battle moves up. I do not think Russ gets minutes if Evans goes down. Rivers will pickup the guard minutes and SF by committee. If Fells or Miller are on the team don't be surprised if we see them at a guard position if we need the depth. I think Miller will be our omg, last man up PG if need be.

Big rotation will be the big 3 eating every single minute. If one of them goes down depending who it is will change who comes up. If Ryno goes down Babbitt comes up and Ajinca takes the Asik rotation. If AD goes down Ryno will start and Ajinca / Babbitt will rotate in depending who else is on the court. If Asik goes down Ryno comes up and Ajinca takes the majority of C minutes (not all 30 though). As long as we don't lose 2 bigs at the same time I'm not worried at all. And even if we lose 2, as long as either AD or Ryno is still up I think we can hold on while they recover.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Took a look at Monty's habits when we were healthy last year and projected our rotation last year

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...cans-rotation/

Thoughts?
    Didn't you challenge me to a friendly bet a few days ago when I said Evans would be starting ? PS good article sir.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Didn't you challenge me to a friendly bet a few days ago when I said Evans would be starting ? PS good article sir.
    Starting at the 2 over Gordon. And yes, I still believe that. Either they are both starting or Evans is coming off the bench.

Are we over blowing this Gordon thing? Maybe he isn't as bad a guy as we think he is. Maybe he is less Baron Davis and more Tracey McGrady where he is really good, he is just really injury prone, and we all have been jaded by the Baron Davis' of the world to think he is screwing us.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Starting at the 2 over Gordon. And yes, I still believe that. Either they are both starting or Evans is coming off the bench.
    I believe (99% sure) i said Evans would be the starting 3, not starting over Gordon.

I've said it before, but will Asik be content with 28 mins per game and being on the bench at the most crucial times of the game? He's shown that just contributing to a winning team isn't enough for him at this stage of his career.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    IMO the 9th guy will be Ajinca (possibly Withey). Just from watching over the years it seems like Monty loves playing the back up bigs together. I think there will be a stretch to start the second quarter where Ajinca comes in and probably plays with Anderson. I don't really like that, and I definitely think some games he may only play 8 guys, but I could see Ajinca getting 4 or 5 minutes a half or maybe him only getting 5 in the first half.

I can also see Darius or another SF stealing minutes from Salmons. I think some games they could split the 20 minutes or depending on if one is hot, they could play the majority if not the entire 20. Great article!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I've said it before, but will Asik be content with 28 mins per game and being on the bench at the most crucial times of the game? He's shown that just contributing to a winning team isn't enough for him at this stage of his career.
    I don't think it's a given Asik isn't in the game. I think if we're behind he's without a doubt not in the game, but if we're up 10; I think he gets in and Ryno is on the bench.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    You know how Monty worries a ton about matchups and anytime a team has a big center Asik will most likely be playing at the end. It just depends on matchups, but hopefully this would be the most frequently used lineup.

Asik only played 30 minutes two years ago and he was very content. He'll play right around there for us. He also was taken out of games that year at the end of games a lot because of his free throw shooting, so I think as long as he's starting and getting close to 30 minutes he'll be more than fine.

I don't think it's a given Asik isn't in the game. I think if we're behind he's without a doubt not in the game, but if we're up 10; I think he gets in and Ryno is on the bench.
    Clearly this break down isn't craved in stone. LOL

But if it's close I do have concerns about how Asik will feel as the reason he was so eager to leave Houston was to play a bigger role with a team. With guys like Asik it's not like they have a number of attempts in their heads and as long as they take X amount of shots their good. It'll be interesting to see if Williams is compelled to give Asik more mins given his contract situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    You know how Monty worries a ton about matchups and anytime a team has a big center Asik will most likely be playing at the end. It just depends on matchups, but hopefully this would be the most frequently used lineup.

Asik only played 30 minutes two years ago and he was very content. He'll play right around there for us. He also was taken out of games that year at the end of games a lot because of his free throw shooting, so I think as long as he's starting and getting close to 30 minutes he'll be more than fine.
    This is a good point.

I hope starting matters more than finishing for him. As you pointed out being yanked late shouldn't be to foreign to Omer.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    I believe (99% sure) i said Evans would be the starting 3, not starting over Gordon.
    Ha you did. Weird. Hey Mac, please cite BSH.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...Question/page3

Am I crazy, or did Monty rarely start the second half with the same lineup that started the 1st quarter?

For some reason I remember them sending Roberts out there at the beginning of the 3rd fairly often.

No sir:

I'm starting to get the impression that Reke will be starting next year NEXT to Gordon...

I'll take a friendly wager on that. I think it will be a guy we sign within the next week. Reke comes off bench and kills it, like he was doing in December with Ryno. He might finish next to Gordon, but I say someone else starts

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Obviously you're speculating balls.

Thread Information