Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adam Silver Says NBA Is Considering Midseason Tournament

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    You have to make winning the tournament worth something meaningful to organizations, players, and fans.

Otherwise I could see a team like the Spurs intentionally "tanking" the first round game of this tournament to rest players. That would be a vintage Pop move.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    You have to make winning the tournament worth something meaningful to organizations, players, and fans.

Otherwise I could see a team like the Spurs intentionally "tanking" the first round game of this tournament to rest players. That would be a vintage Pop move.
    You'd also have to make time for a (at least) week off of the schedule. Basically stretch All-Star weekend to last almost 2 weeks.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Original tweet:

@GwashburnGlobe
    Silver said the league is considering the idea of a midseason tournament, similar to soccer. Interesting. #nba

The way it works in soccer is teams could play as little as 1-2 games per month for their cups. I think midseasn just means it would happen during the season (not playoffs), not necessarily that there would be a break in the season and a tournament go on for 2 weeks. I could see something like 3-4 days a month being declared "Cup Days" and those days are spent in Vegas. Still seems like it's a far ways away from happening, so not too worried about it.

This idea is retarded. Cut the amount of games down to 50 and the amount of playoff teams to 6 then go from there.

Or cut the regular season down to 50, take the top 16 teams, do a NCAA style 1 game tournament until there's 4 teams left. Then go best of 3, 5, 7 or whatever they want to do.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    They are not going to completely blow up the format and start from scratch. I'd like to see the number of games decreased, but a complete overhaul isn't happening.

From my understanding because soccer has so many leagues teams go against clubs from different leagues that automatically makes it more interesting. Also it's already built into the sports culture. I don't see how this works for American basketball fans and/or players.

This idea IMO are to foreign for most NBA players for them to care about. This seems like it will have an All-Star type feel to it where guys won't compete as hard and you'll end up with teams like Hornets or T'Wolves winning. While the better teams coast with their eyes on an O'Brien trophy.

Although I'm all for them cutting the season down significantly. Too many injuries and long stretches of bad basketball.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 07-16-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    They are not going to completely blow up the format and start from scratch. I'd like to see the number of games decreased, but a complete overhaul isn't happening.
    My idea go hard though don't it? I know y'all feeling that! I should be the commish.

Maybe offer a late 1st rounder to the winner? Round one has 31 picks instead of 30 and winner gets the 31st pick. You have to get something for winning to keep people interested and teams playing.

Anyway, I'm sure this has been cleared up by now, but to all of you who are seemingly bewildered by this idea, I'll clear it up for you. The rest of the world watches soccer. In every major league in soccer (mainly European ones) there are multiple tournaments. So in La Liga (the Spanish Pro League) for example, while you are competing in the regular season of that league, you are also competing in the Copa Del Rey, and if you are a top 4 or 5 team you are also most likely competing in either the Europa league or the Champions league. For the record, I fully support the idea of a short mid-season tournament, would make things very interesting and introduce a dimension to the NBA that I think a lot of Americans aren't familiar with and would love.

I'd rather them just fix the playoff format to be honest. Tired of seeing garbage teams in the east make it on a yearly basis. Best 16

Quote Originally Posted by crthomps View Post
    but to all of you who are seemingly bewildered by this idea, I'll clear it up for you. The rest of the world watches soccer. In every major league in soccer (mainly European ones) there are multiple tournaments.
    And to explain to you, who is bewildered by our bewilderment, this tournament would solely be within the same league. Just NBA teams. Every single one of those soccer tournaments involves multiple leagues.

Therefore, if there is nothing to benefit from it, it's a pointless cash grab by the league. It isnt like soccer, or there would be NBDL and NCAA teams in the tournament, too. Nope - just NBA teams.

I don't follow futbol/ the beautiful game half as much as I should (as a Latin), but isn't one of the things with these tourneys that teams can be relegated to another division, or they can be promoted?

If thats the case sign me up, that would remove teams from the Tank mode if they knew that they would be demoted to the D-League.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    And to explain to you, who is bewildered by our bewilderment, this tournament would solely be within the same league. Just NBA teams. Every single one of those soccer tournaments involves multiple leagues.

Therefore, if there is nothing to benefit from it, it's a pointless cash grab by the league. It isnt like soccer, or there would be NBDL and NCAA teams in the tournament, too. Nope - just NBA teams.
    Actually you are confused sir. FA cup in the English league is only played between the English clubs in the Barclays premiere league. All leagues have tournaments inside their own league plus the UEFA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I don't follow futbol/ the beautiful game half as much as I should (as a Latin), but isn't one of the things with these tourneys that teams can be relegated to another division, or they can be promoted?

If thats the case sign me up, that would remove teams from the Tank mode if they knew that they would be demoted to the D-League.
    They do not get relegated by the tourney performance. They are relegated by being one of the bottom 3 teams in the league after the season ends. I see the only way this tournament works is throughout the season(like on futbol/soccer) teams will play Cup/tournament games 3 to 4 times a month. On those days, all teams play a tournament game. You shorten the regular season games by how many total games the winner of the tournament plays. 7 teams per group (group is randomized) and 4 groups. Each team in group plays each other once. Top 4 (16 teams advance) of each group move to single elimination tournament after group stage until winner. This only adds the max 10 games per season so you can shorten regular season to 72. Each teams has to play 6 so if you don't advance you lose out on 4 games. The bottom 2 teams in league do not get to participate in tournament (help stop tanking). Bottom two teams will lose money by not playing in the tourney. Winner gets something as reward. What y'all think?

I like it, tournament games are more entertaining.. I dont know what motivation the players/coaches would have to go all out and try to win though

yeah I mean the idea sounds good, but it needs some time to grow and get some prestige, dont know how quickly teams will think that this cup is something you really wanna win! but it has to start at one point and the idea of nba teams playing a game that decides evertyhing besides of the few game sevens we get in the playoffs is really intriguing

No to this. The NBA does not need this type of change. If the NBA is going to change anything, they should change how the NBA lottery works and make it where the teams that just miss the playoffs get the most ping pong balls. Every NBA team should have a minor league team like MLB. Also maybe they should allow a little more contact on defense but I'm fine either way.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-17-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Actually you are confused sir. FA cup in the English league is only played between the English clubs in the Barclays premiere league. All leagues have tournaments inside their own league plus the UEFA tournament.
    Youre not getting what I'm saying.

No football league has a tournament with *just* the teams in their league. The FA Cup is NOT just Barclay's Premier League teams. It also includes all the teams available in the Football League (which is the Champion League, and Leagues 1 and 2), as well as any teams in 6 other lower leagues that meet specific criteria. There are close to 100 teams from 4+ leagues who can play in the FA Cup.

Any NBA in-season tournament would be comprised of the same teams eligible for the end of season tournament. Theyre basically just having two tournaments, one that counts the playoffs, and one that gives bad teams something to do.

It's pointless if there's nothing you get for winning.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    Youre not getting what I'm saying.

No football league has a tournament with *just* the teams in their league. The FA Cup is NOT just Barclay's Premier League teams. It also includes all the teams available in the Football League (which is the Champion League, and Leagues 1 and 2), as well as any teams in 6 other lower leagues that meet specific criteria. There are close to 100 teams from 4+ leagues who can play in the FA Cup.

Any NBA in-season tournament would be comprised of the same teams eligible for the end of season tournament. Theyre basically just having two tournaments, one that counts the playoffs, and one that gives bad teams something to do.

It's pointless if there's nothing you get for winning.
    You are right about the FA cup. They will definitely have something for winning or like you said it would be pointless.

I think its an excellent idea. Its just another trophy for a team to win. It can be played during the season. My proposition for the tournament:

Have a group stage similar to Soccer where there are four teams in each group. 7 groups of four the bottom two teams from the year before cannot participate, this will make sure that a team does not tank. The groups will be divided up based on last years playoff seedlings. Top seven will not play in the same group. Each team plays a home and away game with each team, points differential will be accounted for but not used in a points system. Top two teams get into a tournament where its just a win and you go home type format, all these games will be played in Las Vegas. This entire process will happen during the season, so there are certain days the the group stage games play. The tournament would have to all take place within one or two weeks for it to be possible. IMO to make it more exciting without draining players they should cut the number of games in the season, but that won't happen because people will claim that the statistics will not be the same. So I think they should change the playoff format and use best of five til the Conference Finals. Another idea is to just have a tournament style thought the season, just like the FA cup instead of group stages, but I believe that you can curb a couple of things, such as reward teams doing well in the season, while killing some revenue for teams that tank. In this way, owners will make more money, there is another incentive in February and March to watch NBA games. I general I think its a great idea that he NBA can expand upon.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    No to this. The NBA does not need this type of change. If the NBA is going to change anything, they should change how the NBA lottery works and make it where the teams that just miss the playoffs get the most ping pong balls. Every NBA team should have a minor league team like MLB. Also maybe they should allow a little more contact on defense but I'm fine either way.
    This defeats the purpose of any draft. The purpose of a draft system in sports is to give the bad teams a chance to get better by giving them the ability to select who they think the newest pros. Giving teams that just miss the playoffs better odds almost ensures the poor stays poor.

Thread Information