Pelicans Report

Thread: A (Super) Detailed Look at the Asik Trade and How it Happened

A (Super) Detailed Look at the Asik Trade and How it Happened

If you really want to see how much Dell had to do in order to make this deal, and learn a bit about the CBA, then this is a MUST READ

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...asik-in-trade/
    @mcnamara247

Good piece, great details...Thanks for all your hard work MM, its appreciate by majority of us and even the ones that give you a hard time!
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Just to be clear, this was 42's baby - with help from a couple of us, of course.

We got a couple of more pieces coming up on BSS before a bit of an offseason. And then back in lat September for what is going to be an amazing year IMO

Great piece on the trade and how it happened! Really a must read, congrats to the BSS crew, another great and helpful article!

The more I read and see things developing, the more I admire Dell's work so far. It's unbelievable how many steps he has to be ahead to make the team better, like the Ely's signing, among other stuff. He's one guy who really works hard and deserves the millions he probably makes!

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Really great stuff and special thanks to 42 for the personal prospective..... thank goodness you guys manage to hang in there and continue to provide the insight and commentary that you do..... I, and many,many others, truly appreciate it....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    If you really want to see how much Dell had to do in order to make this deal, and learn a bit about the CBA, then this is a MUST READ

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...asik-in-trade/
    Wow that's a tough read, thanks for the work though.

I'm convinced, the NBA's salary cap rules are more complicated that the US tax code. MLEs, Bird Rights, trade exceptions, non-guaranteed contracts, amnesty rules, waiting periods for making a deal official, bi-annual exceptions, wtf. Everytime I think I have a grasp on it I read a piece like this and realize I have no idea.

How long did it take you to learn all this and why is it so goddamn complicated?

This article was amazing. Jesus Christ it was a thing of beauty. Anyone that has even the slightest glimmer of curiosity about the CBA and how this deal was done should read it.

It's long, very detailed. At the end he rambles. But man, it was an awesome piece of writing.

My BB IQ has increased 10 fold by keeping up with your stories and posts . For your thoughts and posts I can wait while life happens

Artistic, using words as your canvas!

Quote Originally Posted by nosfan1019 View Post
    Wow that's a tough read, thanks for the work though.

I'm convinced, the NBA's salary cap rules are more complicated that the US tax code. MLEs, Bird Rights, trade exceptions, non-guaranteed contracts, amnesty rules, waiting periods for making a deal official, bi-annual exceptions, wtf. Everytime I think I have a grasp on it I read a piece like this and realize I have no idea.

How long did it take you to learn all this and why is it so goddamn complicated?
    I don't think it is that complex. I just think it is different. I think most people start with football, and get used to that system and this one looks complex in that light. But I started with the NBA (as far as the business side) and the NFL CBA seems weird to me as a result. The way that a Mac seems stupid to a PC guy and vice versa.

I think there are a few basic things to know and then the rest kind of just make sense. I would learn:

1. Bird Rights
    2. All the possible trade rules/routes
    3. Cap holds

Start there. Should take about an hour. Then maybe learn one new thing every day. Should have it down in 2-3 weeks.

I haven't seen 42 around here as much. This was well written and thorough.

I'm going to need Jason to be here when the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't think it is that complex. I just think it is different. I think most people start with football, and get used to that system and this one looks complex in that light. But I started with the NBA (as far as the business side) and the NFL CBA seems weird to me as a result. The way that a Mac seems stupid to a PC guy and vice versa.

I think there are a few basic things to know and then the rest kind of just make sense. I would learn:

1. Bird Rights
    2. All the possible trade rules/routes
    3. Cap holds

Start there. Should take about an hour. Then maybe learn one new thing every day. Should have it down in 2-3 weeks.
    Are you offering a 3 week course where at the end I can then work for an NBA team in the CBA department?

I can see it now. An advertisement on MTV, "Tired of being stuck at home working at a no end job? PICK UP THE PHONE * fireworks explosions* Call MM's basketball CBA hotline NOW.

*cut to Karl Malone* Hi I'm Karl Malone and MM taught me the ends and outs of the NBA CBA and now I've got a job in the front office of the NBA Stampede D league team.

*cut to MM* "I promise you. Yes YOU. That after my strict 1 hour a day 3 week course you can get a job with an NBA team. It's guaranteed to work, 100% of the time 70% of the time."

*cut to blurred film of people playing street ball who are obviously not professionals* "PICK UP THE PHONE and call 1-888-555-5555 for MM's Basketball NBA CBA Camp."

*cuts to woman in an office setting "Does something smell like car urine to anyone else?"

*cut to MM* "100% of the time, 70% of the time." *MM gives a thumbs up and a gleen sparkles in his eye*

*black screen* "1-888-555-5555.

I would like to give you my thanks as well ... MM

Amazing read, BBS... Thanks for taking the time to share your skills.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Where has 42 been? I feel like I haven't seen him since the whole Wikipedia crisis.

Do appreciate the knowledge thus year on all the rules. I retained about 10%.

I just hope the players are excited like we are that Asik is on the team.

Thanks to all you guys at Bourbon Street Shots and The Bird Writes
    With the reporting we get from the Times "Pickyournose" and The New Orleans Avocate (Not misspelled) it's great to have sources you can go to and trust
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Thread Information