Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    and look at the minutes everyone of them played:
    Anthony - 2995
    Miller - 2838
    Hilario - 2504
    Lenard - 2233
    Camby - 2162
    Boykins - 1849

Davis was our highest for the season at 2358, followed by Gordon (2057) and Aminu (2045).

What exactly are you expecting? 8th seed with your top 5 for minutes going to Roberts, Gordon, Evans, Aminu, Davis?? in an extremely tough conference? that's going to be one super coach. jrue only played 34 games, Anderson 22. and we weren't exactly rolling deep with talent. you are kidding yourself. even if we had got 43 wins, we still would have finished 10th. a measly 2 positions higher than we actually finished, and still not in the playoffs.
    There is no comparing last years catastrophe to having high expectations of a young team that is new together with a new or newer head coach. That was your original point I believe.

I have high expectations of this year as I did with last year. I'm holding the coaching staff accountable if half the team ends up on the DL, sorry but I am. These players were healthy in other places and they're young without a ton of miles. The team was not up to par when most of the guys were healthy. There is not a single excuse that will be valid this year. None should be needed because this team is making the playoffs.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-17-2014 at 09:55 AM.

The "time to gel" is so overblown on this board. Each and every year you have at least one team with like a +15 win improvement, and guess what, typically that is the team with HUGE ROSTER TURNOVER, not a team gelling and playing together for an extra year.
    not defending Monty, I am defending the entire TEAM. please show me these teams with major roster changes to their core, suffering major injuries to their core, and getting +15 wins. where has this extra year come from? our team playing and gelling has not really happened, as they haven't played the majority of the season together. this is the point you seem to have overlooked.

Your last paragraph, I don't really know what to say, as it's wording is confusing. It has 3 separate points all put together, but nothing tying it all together.

No one knows the exact number of wins the right coach for this team would get, but it would definitely be more wins.
    First, we do not have a defined "right coach". I don't see a unanimous agreement of this magic person anywhere. If we lack this, how can we say it would definitely be more wins? and when do you mean? last year? and so what if he did if you cannot say how many games it would be. it could be 1 more game D'antoni wins us. They could very well lose us just as many. the could roll in and be absolutely horrible for all we know.

what could win us more games, is our core staying healthy. this season, our team stays healthy, no matter what coach, we would hope for more wins. what is your benchmark for a pass for Monty this season? 50 wins? knocked out first round, would it be Monty's fault?

I just don't see you coming back and praising Monty if we win 43 games like your nuggets. Suddenly it would be "oh our core was healthy, nothing to do with Monty".

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    not defending Monty, I am defending the entire TEAM. please show me these teams with major roster changes to their core, suffering major injuries to their core, and getting +15 wins. where has this extra year come from? our team playing and gelling has not really happened, as they haven't played the majority of the season together. this is the point you seem to have overlooked.

Your last paragraph, I don't really know what to say, as it's wording is confusing. It has 3 separate points all put together, but nothing tying it all together.

First, we do not have a defined "right coach". I don't see a unanimous agreement of this magic person anywhere. If we lack this, how can we say it would definitely be more wins? and when do you mean? last year? and so what if he did if you cannot say how many games it would be. it could be 1 more game D'antoni wins us. They could very well lose us just as many. the could roll in and be absolutely horrible for all we know.

what could win us more games, is our core staying healthy. this season, our team stays healthy, no matter what coach, we would hope for more wins. what is your benchmark for a pass for Monty this season? 50 wins? knocked out first round, would it be Monty's fault?

I just don't see you coming back and praising Monty if we win 43 games like your nuggets. Suddenly it would be "oh our core was healthy, nothing to do with Monty".
    1) This team is much better than that Nuggets team and this team has young veterans. Winning 43 games would be severely under performing. This team needs to get 47 wins as the absolute minimum. If Monty wins 50 games and his players stay healthy, I will give him some credit. If you want me to praise him and start a give Monty an extension thread, he will have to win at least 54 games.

2) The Phoenix Suns last year had a rookie Head Coach in Jeff Hornacek. The experts predicted the Suns were headed for the lottery. Hornacek coached his team to 48 wins. The Suns won 25 games the year before. That is 23 more wins in his first year as a coach on any level! Jeff Hornacek could be the reason you see Steve Kerr and Derek Fisher coaching for the first time ever. Well, Phil Jackson did need someone who knows the triangle. Heck, the Lakers haven't named a coach yet.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-17-2014 at 10:40 AM.

This thread drives me crazy!
    I've coached high school ball for roughly 15 years; albeit it is nothing like the NBA whatsoever, but it does offer me a different angle when evaluating.

It's the freaggin NBA guys, the main job for these coaches is to inspire NBA players to hustle enough in a grueling 80+ whereas to play some tough, damn DEFENSE. Monty has done a good job doing this throughout his tenure here, although he seems to have lost his touch as of late.
    This year's Pelicans are structured perfectly to fit a defensively minded coach. Perfectly.
    They have a squad that can straight up score without even having to devote much time working offensively.
    We have a bevy of players that can create their own shot.
    A lethal marksman in ryan anderson, arguably the best shooter in the league.
    Anthony Davis will create a mismatch we can take advantage of every game. (lots of foul shots)

We will score ( I would like to add another reliable shooter yada yada).

Our Coach has never wavered that he wants to build inside-out and play with a rim-protector besides Anthony Davis; whereas to exploit Davis' shot-blocking AND quick feet.

We have given him what he wants. PLUS, he is Anthony Davis' coach!!!!!!

After watching the circus that is Free Agency this past summer; I can tell you that relationships aren't everything but they can be.

I'd like Monty and Davis to form a bond, here where they work together.

Like I stated on another thread, only one team since 1981 has won a championship without a prior MVP on their team, except one- the Pistons. In 198,1 I think the Celtics won, but Bird hadn't won his YET.

Davis is one of those players. Not like CP3,a perennial all-stat; but a player that would be favored to win at least one MVP

Point is- no one will mention firing Monty again after this year. He will probably leave on his own terms

I think Monty coaches with the USA team because they thought he is a good coach, and so do I
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 07-17-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Also, Terry Stotts won 33 games with Portland two seasons ago and then he recorded his first winning season of his coaching career last year with the 54 wins. So that is the bench mark for Monty Williams. Portland won 33 games and then 54 games so 21 more wins. Terry Stotts has a .452 career winning percentage and Monty Williams has a career .410 winning percentage. That is what Monty Williams needs to do, and I will personally post on here that he deserves an extension and a raise.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-17-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Fair enough, I'd like the post to be written in letter form please

Basic surface stats don't provide answers. They merely give indicators to dig deeper in that direction. It's the dig deeper part most people don't bother with because the math/algebra/calculus becomes more complicated and also most likely it will contradict their agenda.

Just sit back and enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Fair enough, I'd like the post to be written in letter form please
    Deal. You may but probably won't have to remind me.

That's cool we have posters who coach at any level on the forum. That's a lot of spaces in your other post. In HS they teach to double space, but on the forum they teach to condense to make things easier to quote, read and scroll down and to not quote the long posts in their entirety if it can be avoided.

I would add that it is a coaches job as well to hire the right staff around him, to make sure the players are in tip top physical condition as well as the trainers job. So not only choosing the most productive rotations but keeping players happy, motivated, and healthy. With this team they need to focus on injury prevention. The coach needs to be proficient at many things and know when to let players rest and when to push them. The coach needs to drill players on getting enough sleep and everything else. And if all those little things are taken care of, this team should have a win total in the 50's.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-17-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Thread Information