Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Pels Need One Piece For Playoff Push: A Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The "he looks lost" or "Doesn't yell enough" etc analysis is always my favorite. Especially there have been hundreds of times when Phil and Pop just sit there when there team is getting their heads beat in. Heck, Pop says that there are timeouts when he just tells his team, "I've got nothing."

Obviously, they should be yelling more and "looking" some other way!

Ive seen you use this line of defense before, and lets just say apples and oranges.

Here is what you are clearly missing from this debate, it is not about what is said in the timeout, it is about the overall coaching throughout.

Pop doesn't have to say anything -----because he is a great coach, and does not need to rah-rah his team in the huddle. Much like how Phil Jackson would refuse to take a time-out when any other coach would. It is not about what is said in the timeout, it is about reminding players to do their jobs. It is about teaching and coaching your players so well, that sometimes saying nothing is more than enough.

Pop's system is taught and permanently ingrained in his players minds throughout the year.. When he says, "ive got nothing" it means - "ive got nothing to say that you haven't already heard before --you guys know what to do, we have been here before, calm down and focus on the basics of what I have taught you" He also has numerous championships, the respect of every human being in the basketball world, and frankly has earned the right to do and say what he wants.

Now, compare that to a coach, with no proven record, who has repeatedly made substitution errors, poor timeout selection, the worse in-bounds plays ever drawn up, one of the worst offensive systems in the league (who even knows what it is?), some form of super complex defensive scheme that is 1) clearly ineffective 2) way too difficult, and is regularly outcoached by his opponent.

He has no skins, zero. He does not have the luxury of saying and doing nothing, why you ask??????
    BECAUSE HE IS NOT WINNING GAMES. How many 50 win seasons in a row does Pop have? Pretty strange and foolish to use him as an example.

Bongzilla, read the Glory Road series on BBS for answers to some of your questions on MM's stance.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Welcome back, Ryno

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    Welcome back, Ryno

Well. I've got nothing. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Ive seen you use this line of defense before, and lets just say apples and oranges.

Here is what you are clearly missing from this debate, it is not about what is said in the timeout, it is about the overall coaching throughout.

Pop doesn't have to say anything -----because he is a great coach, and does not need to rah-rah his team in the huddle. Much like how Phil Jackson would refuse to take a time-out when any other coach would. It is not about what is said in the timeout, it is about reminding players to do their jobs. It is about teaching and coaching your players so well, that sometimes saying nothing is more than enough.

Pop's system is taught and permanently ingrained in his players minds throughout the year.. When he says, "ive got nothing" it means - "ive got nothing to say that you haven't already heard before --you guys know what to do, we have been here before, calm down and focus on the basics of what I have taught you" He also has numerous championships, the respect of every human being in the basketball world, and frankly has earned the right to do and say what he wants.

Now, compare that to a coach, with no proven record, who has repeatedly made substitution errors, poor timeout selection, the worse in-bounds plays ever drawn up, one of the worst offensive systems in the league (who even knows what it is?), some form of super complex defensive scheme that is 1) clearly ineffective 2) way too difficult, and is regularly outcoached by his opponent.

He has no skins, zero. He does not have the luxury of saying and doing nothing, why you ask??????
    BECAUSE HE IS NOT WINNING GAMES. How many 50 win seasons in a row does Pop have? Pretty strange and foolish to use him as an example.
    That's fine. I am not comparing Monty to Pop.

I am saying that you can't use X evidence to prove a person is bad at something when X is also done by the very best person with regard to what we are talking about.

There are good arguments against Monty. Arguments that can be backed up by fact and with specific details if people wanted to take the time to argue it properly. I haven't seen that yet. I want to see more of that. I don't want to just take some guys word for it or hear generalities when I have spent hundreds of hours looking into it myself and have documented a lot of those things for all to see.

I put in the work, so for me to respect anothers opinion, I just ask them to do the same. Show me the evidence, the specifics, and the conclusion from those pieces of evidence.
    @mcnamara247

How about somebody list the actual complaints about his coaching and we track them throughout the season with an open mind both ways?

Possible or too rational for a message board? Just get angry instead and through out generalizations? Seems like the better way to go.
    I'll take it for a Plan B!

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    6 pages...

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    6 pages...

GLOL!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    6 pages...

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post

That's fine. I am not comparing Monty to Pop.

I am saying that you can't use X evidence to prove a person is bad at something when X is also done by the very best person with regard to what we are talking about.

There are good arguments against Monty. Arguments that can be backed up by fact and with specific details if people wanted to take the time to argue it properly. I haven't seen that yet. I want to see more of that. I don't want to just take some guys word for it or hear generalities when I have spent hundreds of hours looking into it myself and have documented a lot of those things for all to see.

I put in the work, so for me to respect anothers opinion, I just ask them to do the same. Show me the evidence, the specifics, and the conclusion from those pieces of evidence.
    While I do respect what you are saying, you have one major advantage, this is what you do for a living (i believe?)

Most of us have jobs outside of basketball and just don't have the time for the required research. However, I don't need advanced stats, or any form of breakdown other than what I see at the games or on TV. And what I see is a first time head coach who is not ready now, and may or may not ever be, but why does my team have to be the 5 year guinea pig?

At the end of the day, you either take what you want, or accept what you are given. I am tired of accepting this average to mediocre talent of a coach. Not enough credit is given (in any sport or business) to the value of high level coaching, and the actual difference good leadership can make. You don't make it to my level without being able to recognize who has it or not, more often than not.

My question is why hasnt Gorge Karl been hired by any team yet? This guy won coach of the year. Got fired. But hasn't been picked up yet. Is it health issues? Too rigid system?

Quote Originally Posted by kdalw1 View Post
    My question is why hasnt Gorge Karl been hired by any team yet? This guy won coach of the year. Got fired. But hasn't been picked up yet. Is it health issues? Too rigid system?
    Jk

Also on Monty. Why did he give Brian Roberts so many minutes last season when we dint even plan on keeping the guy?

Dont get me wrong. Im over joyed that Roberts is gone. But why play him so much? Same for Steemsma.

I realy dont understand monty's big plan

I bought the MLS Season pass. . . . . .they told me it was on sale.

This thread is pointless.....

While I do respect what you are saying, you have one major advantage, this is what you do for a living (i believe?)
    nah pretty sure everything he does is in his own time for the love of the game

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    nah pretty sure everything he does is in his own time for the love of the game
    Yep. I am a full time Philosophy and Law teacher who also coaches the Football, Basketball, and Soccer teams at the High School. About 60+ hrs a week. Never made a dime at BSS. Never will in all likelihood. I got a $25 gift card for appearing on a Sports Talk show to talk Pels once thought!

I don't understand all the MM hate...I love his coverage of the roster.
    @phelpsalot

Quote Originally Posted by phelpsalot M.D. View Post
    I don't understand all the MM hate...I love his coverage of the roster.
    it stems from jealousy

So, Doc Rivers was a terrible basketball coach and then magically became good when Allen and KG were added? Monty magically became a worse coach when CP3 left. Was good in his first season, but then just forgot stuff.

Spoelstra is a top 3 coach in the game? Top 10 of All-Time?

It's that simple, huh?

I'll give you all the proof I need and the eye ball test backs this up. 2012-2013 the team scored 94.1 PPG and allowed 97.9 PPG in the regular season. You can't stop or shut down good NBA teams from scoring in the NBA. Now that year was a real joke, they had no chance at all scoring 94.1 PPG and trying to keep teams under that.

2012-2013
    Denver did 106.1
    Houston did 106
    OKC did 105.7
    San Antonio did 103
    Miami did 102.9
    Lakers 102.2
    Warriors 101.2
    Dallas 101.1
    Clippers 101.1

Now look at last season, even more scoring. You will see a pattern here, and it doesn't matter about the injuries and of course we don't make playoffs last year with the injuries, but it is the system that is also a problem. The Timberwolves didn't make the playoffs but at least they had a fighting chance because they had an offense that could keep up. If their defense or offense was a little better they could have made the playoffs. But our offense is so bad, it doesn't matter how good the defense is, you can't stop NBA teams. And even the Lakers scored more points per game than us, which is a total disgrace, because that was a truly awful NBA team.

2013-2014
    Clippers 107.9
    Houston 107.7
    Minnesota 106.9
    Portland 106.7
    OKC 106.2
    San Antonio 105.4
    Suns 105.2
    Dallas 104.8
    Denver 104.4
    Warriors 104.3
    Lakers 103

Guess what the Pelicans were? #18 at 99.7 PPG and allowed 102.4 PPG. So lucky us, we got a 5.6 point increase from 94.1 PPG to 99.7 PPG from one year to the next. Not going to get in done in the Western Conference. Does Monty Williams know what conference the team plays in? The team obviously plays in slow motion.

The Lakers put up 103 but allowed 109.2, if Mike D'Antoni was coaching our healthy team this year I predict we would score 110 PPG and allow maybe 104 PPG or something similar.

Do you see a Western Conference pattern here? Since you can't keep all those teams from scoring when you slow the game down, you might as well outscore them all and be the highest scoring team in the NBA when you have all the pieces to do so. The highest scoring team in the NBA always makes the playoffs. And the team is capable of scoring around 111 PPG actually. I predict 101 PPG this year. It's all indicative of the type of system. What I'm getting at is the pace is too slow and the offense has more room for improvement than the defense does. So the offense is what needs work.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-17-2014 at 02:07 AM.

You guys better not run MM away. I may not agree with everything he says but he damn sure knows more about this team than 99%of us. We need him as a reference.

1-6

Banhammered?

For what?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Thread Information