Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Pels Need One Piece For Playoff Push: A Head Coach

The Pels had an above average efficiency rating last season despite all the injuries to our better offensive players.

The T-Wolves were third in the entire league in PPG and ninth in ORtg last season and missed the playoffs.
    Their defense was twenty-sixth in PPG but twelfth in DRtg.

Just a counter example to a good team with really good offense missing the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Too sleep deprived to give detail = I have no idea about any specific details or have no well thought out ideas of my own. I just want to rabble rabble.

If I am wrong, get some sleep and then give us your detailed, brilliant basketball insight that could make this offense hum and the defense good enough to win 50+ games. Then, tell us what Monty did that was different than this plan.

But of course, not until you get some sleep.
    Good one. It means I haven't slept in at least 21 hours and that I'm going to bed. I've already talked about offenses I think would work in the past and I mentioned the coaches of those offenses today, Karl's Nuggets and D'Antoni's Suns. You can throw Mark Jackson's Warriors in there too.

The OP is 100% right. Monty is a terrible coach. Each and everyone one of you know this deep in your hearts, and I commend you for wearing your pelicans glasses so tight that you can't see the truth.

But don't shoot the messenger. In this day and age, NOBODY gets 4 years of futility,...... why are we blindly accepting it, when in fact,, there are better/more proven options available.

We took a flyer on an "up and coming" head coach, who has proceed to win 4 out of 10 games for 4 straight years. I think we have all of the test results needed...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    The OP is 100% right. Monty is a terrible coach. Each and everyone one of you know this deep in your hearts, and I commend you for wearing your pelicans glasses so tight that you can't see the truth.

But don't shoot the messenger. In this day and age, NOBODY gets 4 years of futility,...... why are we blindly accepting it, when in fact,, there are better/more proven options available.

We took a flyer on an "up and coming" head coach, who has proceed to win 4 out of 10 games for 4 straight years. I think we have all of the test results needed...................................
    I'm almost positive it has nothing too do with being a homer when in fact probably 99% of the people on here want him gone but most also understand the injuries that have happened and want to see what happens with a squad of healthy players for the year....it's not homerism people just aren't jumping the gun

Im not renewing my season tickets until Monty is fired. Looks like I won't be going to a Pels game this season.

itissunday,

I would give you that, but this is year number 5..................not game number 5 ala Mike Brown. In the world of business, only 1 thing matters, and this is IN ALL FORMS OF BUSINESS ------- Results. Excuses are 100% accurate, and 100% irrelevant. They don't matter. The leader is in charge because he is supposed to be able to handle any and all challenges that are presented. When my leaders give me excuses, I show them the door and their severance package.

What will the pacifists use as a Monty defense this year? I can see it now " Well, because of injuries last year, this entire season only counts as a "gel" period, and next year we are going to be great!"

The tide has shifted IMO, at the end of last year, yes 90% of us fans were crying for a switch, but the "groupthink" has now changed, thanks to some of the "influential" posters that frequent this board.

Can I get a detailed list of Monty's faults, with examples and support?

Or is that too much to ask? Should I just take peoples' words for it?

I am not telling everybody he is the best, so I don't have a bunch of evidence. I am on the fence. I just don't want people yelling at me, telling me that this is fact. I would like to see some facts instead. Too much to ask?
    @mcnamara247

itissunday,

I would give you that, but this is year number 5..................not game number 5 ala Mike Brown. In the world of business, only 1 thing matters, and this is IN ALL FORMS OF BUSINESS ------- Results. Excuses are 100% accurate, and 100% irrelevant. They don't matter. The leader is in charge because he is supposed to be able to handle any and all challenges that are presented. When my leaders give me excuses, I show them the door and their severance package.

What will the pacifists use as a Monty defense this year? I can see it now " Well, because of injuries last year, this entire season only counts as a "gel" period, and next year we are going to be great!"

The tide has shifted IMO, at the end of last year, yes 90% of us fans were crying for a switch, but the "groupthink" has now changed, thanks to some of the "influential" posters that frequent this board.
    okay think about it like this......half of your companies best employees are out for an amount of time and you hire temps do you really think any of those temps are going to be even half as good as those employees 9 out of 10 times they will screw up and things won't be good as long as those employees are out.....me personally `I give him a definite pass for year 2 and 3 basically back ups is what we had on the court and I'd love to see any coach in the league try and make the play-offs with those teams or do better.for me this is the year I even count last year as part of the rebuilding process not to mention your best players out gone what can you do....The rebuilding process is done this the year you have a team a legit team so like I said this for me is Montys most important year as the Head Coach the year he has to prove himself

Can I get a detailed list of Monty's faults, with examples and support?

Or is that too much to ask? Should I just take peoples' words for it?

I am not telling everybody he is the best, so I don't have a bunch of evidence. I am on the fence. I just don't want people yelling at me, telling me that this is fact. I would like to see some facts instead. Too much to ask?
    Completely agree with this I'm exactly where you are on the fence

I have suggested that people go back and look at the games where we were healthy, or at the very least, at the box scores. Have people done this?

I was on the 'Fire Monty' train for Feb - May. Then, I thought to myself, "How about I go back and watch how he coached when he had a healthy, talented squad."

I am no longer on that train. I am on the fence, though cautiously optimistic.

I mean, our anger towards him came with Brian Roberts as starting PG and Stiemsma as our starting center. Granted, he played them, but his alternatives were not exactly All-Stars. Again, I will recommend that people go back and watch that stretch. Go in with an open mind. Write down the good AND the bad. Post it here and let's discuss intelligently.

BTW, my biggest critique of him in that stretch was that he was too scared to play guys when they got in the slightest bit of foul trouble. I think his calculations were off in those situations. Far too conservative, especially when your roster is that top heavy. With a more balanced roster, sure. But he was wrong time and again in that situation.

Other than that, I didn't find anything that really bothered me.

BTW, my biggest critique of him in that stretch was that he was too scared to play guys when they got in the slightest bit of foul trouble. I think his calculations were off in those situations. Far too conservative, especially when your roster is that top heavy. With a more balanced roster, sure. But he was wrong time and again in that situation.

one definite thing that bothered me about him and I seen it sooo many times last year...was when a guy got hot he takes them out I mean when they are hitting everything from E.G to Tyreke to Davis that was completely frustrating to watch

Banned

I think the most frustrating thing is sticking with BR and Steamer for so long, for many of us. And waiting so long to start Tyreke. No one on this board was surprised when he exploded when he was started, everyone wanted it happening forever. Once the season was clearly lost Rivers and Withey and Miller and Reke all needed more minutes on the floor with AD. Now that BR is officially gone, every minute he was on that floor last season was a waste. Sure you don't want to overwork your young players, and there is a confidence thing, and I don't claim to be an NBA coach... but I don't see the reason Rivers got so few minutes until the end of the season. Same with Reke and Withey.

I have suggested that people go back and look at the games where we were healthy, or at the very least, at the box scores. Have people done this?

I was on the 'Fire Monty' train for Feb - May. Then, I thought to myself, "How about I go back and watch how he coached when he had a healthy, talented squad."

I am no longer on that train. I am on the fence, though cautiously optimistic.

I mean, our anger towards him came with Brian Roberts as starting PG and Stiemsma as our starting center. Granted, he played them, but his alternatives were not exactly All-Stars. Again, I will recommend that people go back and watch that stretch. Go in with an open mind. Write down the good AND the bad. Post it here and let's discuss intelligently.
    This is where I stand atm. Cautiously optimistic.

The end of the season interview did a lot to make me feel better about Monty and his acceptance for growth and improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    I think the most frustrating thing is sticking with BR and Steamer for so long, for many of us. And waiting so long to start Tyreke. No one on this board was surprised when he exploded when he was started, everyone wanted it happening forever. Once the season was clearly lost Rivers and Withey and Miller and Reke all needed more minutes on the floor with AD. Now that BR is officially gone, every minute he was on that floor last season was a waste. Sure you don't want to overwork your young players, and there is a confidence thing, and I don't claim to be an NBA coach... but I don't see the reason Rivers got so few minutes until the end of the season. Same with Reke and Withey.
    I agree with the frustration of not starting Tyreke. But I also wonder if it will be better in the long run. Monty admits that their relationship was not great at the beginning but they both compromised and now they are "like brothers." I think of it like the Grandma breaking the boys in Talledega Nights. Had to happen. Monty was broken too - learned that he had to let Reke loose from time to time. Reke learned that defense was a non-negotiable.

Let's see if Monty makes the same mistake this year or if Tyreke has learned what Monty wants and vice versa and now this team can blossom.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    IMO I honestly think Tyreke starts... At the 3. I think EG will and should start at shooting guard with the way this roster is constructed, and honestly I think Tyreke should come off the bench. He is a perfect fit with Ryan and think they should play together off the bench and almost always be on the court at the same time. With that said, I just think given all the criticism Monty and the organization got for not starting Tyreke, along with how well he did at the end of the season, I think they'll start him at the 3. Unless we somehow get another SF, I really do think Tyreke will start with Jrue, Eric, AD, and Asik.

How about his won - loss record?

Does anyone else need a detailed list of faults? Only one actually matters - he doesn't win basketball games.

Does anyone else need a detailed list of faults? Only one actually matters - he doesn't win basketball games.
    Fire the coach of every rebuilding team ever.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

So, Doc Rivers was a terrible basketball coach and then magically became good when Allen and KG were added? Monty magically became a worse coach when CP3 left. Was good in his first season, but then just forgot stuff.

Spoelstra is a top 3 coach in the game? Top 10 of All-Time?

It's that simple, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    okay think about it like this......half of your companies best employees are out for an amount of time and you hire temps do you really think any of those temps are going to be even half as good as those employees 9 out of 10 times they will screw up and things won't be good as long as those employees are out.....me personally `I give him a definite pass for year 2 and 3 basically back ups is what we had on the court and I'd love to see any coach in the league try and make the play-offs with those teams or do better.for me this is the year I even count last year as part of the rebuilding process not to mention your best players out gone what can you do....The rebuilding process is done this the year you have a team a legit team so like I said this for me is Montys most important year as the Head Coach the year he has to prove himself
    I will agree with you here. However, the injuries were actually the best thing that could have happened to Monty last year. It was his "get out of jail free" card. And I truly believe it is the only reason he is still employed.

Monty Williams just reminds me too much of Jim Haslett. To often he is standing on the sidelines, looking like he KNOWS he needs to do something...........but he just does not know what to do. He looks lost.

BTW, it worked out pretty well the last time Benson got tired of seeing his head coach with that look on his face didn't it?

Sadly it took a natural disaster to show Haslett the door.

Yes we have a glaring hole at the 3, but up and down our roster should compare favorably to MOST TEAMS. We have talent, that can no longer be questioned.

Do we have the captain needed to steer the ship? History has already shown us the answer to this questions unfortunately.

Monty doesn't have THE LOOK. I bet he also doesn't know THE SECRET. I think the solution here is that he just needs to have an offseason study session with Bill Simmons and Isiah Thomas so that he can integrate these attributes into his coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Monty doesn't have THE LOOK. I bet he also doesn't know THE SECRET. I think the solution here is that he just needs to have an offseason study session with Bill Simmons and Isiah Thomas so that he can integrate these attributes into his coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post

The "he looks lost" or "Doesn't yell enough" etc analysis is always my favorite. Especially there have been hundreds of times when Phil and Pop just sit there when there team is getting their heads beat in. Heck, Pop says that there are timeouts when he just tells his team, "I've got nothing."

Obviously, they should be yelling more and "looking" some other way!

So, Doc Rivers was a terrible basketball coach and then magically became good when Allen and KG were added? Monty magically became a worse coach when CP3 left. Was good in his first season, but then just forgot stuff.

Spoelstra is a top 3 coach in the game? Top 10 of All-Time?

It's that simple, huh?
    You can choose to make it that simple, and we can sit here and list outliers for both sides all day.

Monty's first year was the aberration, not the other 3. We had a stocked, veteran, and experienced team. We also had the advantage of being an unknown. Like many previous unsuccessful coaches, Monty's first year was and will be his best. (Jim Haslett examplet yet again.....)

Here's an idea, instead of repeatedly sitting around and requesting examples of his faults from us "un-educated fans" , why don't you, the "expert" provide us with some of his strengths, write us an article. I promise Ill read it. You could label it "Reasons why we support this clown in his 5th,.... yes FIFTH YEAR.

Here are the reasons that are commonly used in defense of Monty Williams:
    1) AD likes Monty as his head coach.
    2) We had injuries last year.
    3) Monty is on the USA basketball team.
    4) Monty is considered a "bright defensive mind" throughout NBA circles.
    5) Monty won 46 games his rookie year. (Keep in mind that we averaged winning 47.3 games per year for the previous 3 years combined)

To me, obviously not one of these excuses holds any water. But again, I am just a lowly business professional, and have limited knowledge of the game of basketball... please enlighten me.
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 07-15-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Thread Information