Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Pels Need One Piece For Playoff Push: A Head Coach

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    If doc rivers or pop were coaching this team there would be no bs from EG and the team would probably make the playoffs. Monty better step up. He's definitely a talented coach but he's got no excuses this year. The injuries killed him last year. Ryno, smith, holiday, Davis, all missed significant time. These are some of our main guys. Lets see how he does with the roster healthy. I think we can win 47-54 games. We have to win. We can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    But the ++ you'd get for Ryno starting at 4, is less than the -- you'd get for not letting AD play at the 4...
    That is where I disagree completely. AD will play the 4, he will play it when Ryno is on the bench or when there is a specific match-up where it's more important he guards the 4 or is generally closer to the rim as an extra rim protector. He is going to be around the rim a lot either way. The value from having Ryno starting and playing more minutes and with the starters is higher. Another reason why it's higher is because then Salmons isn't starting and getting crushed by the opposing SF when SF is the deepest position in the league. There won't be as many leaks in the starters that play the most minutes if you move AD to the 3 for the start of the game.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 10:49 AM.

After all that happened last year, 34-48 was not under achieving. They also didn't "walk the ball up the floor.". Looked for early offense more often than any other season. It was when they had to run half court offense things bogged down outside of a few offensive explosions, but this team was never meant to be the Steve Nash PHX suns.

I have my gripes about his hard stance on rotations and what he asks for on defense, but a change in coaching is last on the list.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-15-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Not the coach we want, the coach we deserve!

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    The end of the season he started to get away from some of his bad tendencies and has admitted that he's needed to change his coaching with this team in an off-season interview. Hopefully it carries into next season & isn't all talk
    I'll give it two weeks into the regular season, but I could see others giving it a month to see if this team is going to live up to it's potential this season. Just remember preseason means very little so I'm not putting much weight if the Pelicans do bad or well in preseason. I expect the Pelicans will have a pretty strong preseason showing.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Save this post and frame it. We will have another under performing year with Monty and he will be fired during the season. It will happen, but we are losing precious time to prove to AD he can win in NOLA.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    After all that happened last year, 34-48 was not under achieving. They also didn't "walk the ball up the floor.". Looked for early offense more often than any other season. It was when they had to run half court offense things bogged down outside of a few offensive explosions, but this team was never meant to be the Steve Nash PHX suns.

I have my gripes about his hard stance on rotations and what he asks for on defense, but a change in coaching is last on the list.
    I agree. You take a look at any one of the teams that made the playoffs this past year and you apply the injuries that we had to their roster and tell me that they would be in the same position as us. Lets say the Rockets, there starting five only manages to play 8 total games together due to injuries. Do they still make the playoffs no.

Injuries was the biggest problem the Pelicans faced last season. Every one knows it.

I love how people can get positive on this board

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    I'll give it two weeks into the regular season, but I could see others giving it a month to see if this team is going to live up to it's potential this season. Just remember preseason means very little so I'm not putting much weight if the Pelicans do bad or well in preseason.
    Well that last line is sigh of relief at least you aren't gonna get rid of the coach during pre-season sweat off brow......seriously I love Ryan but god sometimes I wish we'd trade him just so you could go away you are the equivalent of a heat "fan" for this team smh

This thread is so beneath this site, can someone just take it down or lock it?

ItIsRynosTime starts it off with a post that has no argument for his position and then picks at everyone's response. There is a reason the posts are running around 20:1 against his idea; it makes no sense. And maybe that is the reason ItIsRynosTime can't articulate his position.

If you won't take it down or lock it, can you add "ItIsRynosTime against the world" to the title? Thanks!

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    I would take Mark Jackson only if he doubled as a commentator

Quote Originally Posted by shanetrain93 View Post
    I would take Mark Jackson only if he doubled as a commentator
    Holy **** that would be amusing to see

The complaining on this thread from posters who have < 20 posts combined is priceless. It's clearly an opinion thread. It has a lot of positive qualities, eg. ways to make the team better. That's fine if you think Monty Williams deserves one more year with a healthy team or five more years or forever. That doesn't change my opinion that there are coaching options that would be better for this newer named franchise to get off to a winning start immediately as well as the long term goal of winning a Championship in mind. So, I can only go off what I've seen and the system, not a fan of it, healthy or not healthy. I would like a more offensive minded system.

I like Mark Jackson, it was completely unfair his firing but that's the thing, NBA coaches get fired who have done much much more in terms of winning than Monty Williams. No matter how good a coach is they can be fired for any reason at all or no reason at all. All the teams I've been a fan of in the NBA in my life have been Lakers with Kobe because I lived there. Nuggets with Melo because I lived there. Magic because of Ryan and Pelicans because of Ryan. My tolerance to losing is not high, so I want to see results now. I don't care about a future that may or may not happen. I care about the Pelicans this year winning games. I'm not playing the sit around and wait game. That is the right attitude for me.

Monty Williams is a nice guy and probably is (was) a great assistant coach. He is not a good head coach. Two other teams that were in the same boat as us 2012-2013 but they changed coaches. You either can coach or you can't. Look at the saints when Sean Payton was suspended and as soon as he comes back they start winning again. I hope our new head coach keeps Monty as an assistant.

Monty Williams
    2013-14 New Orleans 34 - 48 .415 5th Southwest Division - - DNQ
    2012-13 New Orleans 27 - 55 .329 5th Southwest Division - - DNQ
    2011-12 * New Orleans 21 - 45 .318 5th Southwest Division - - DNQ
    2010-11 New Orleans 46 - 36 .561 3rd Southwest Division 2 - 4 .333 Lost West Conf 1st Rd

Jeffrey Hornacek hired as coach for 2013 season
    2013-14 Phoenix 48 - 34 .585 3rd Pacific Division - - DNQ
    2012-13 Phoenix 25 - 57 .305 5th Pacific Division - - DNQ

TERRY STOTTS
    2013-14 Portland 54 - 28 .659 2nd Northwest Division 5 - 6 .455 Lost West Conf Semis
    2012-13 Portland 33 - 49 .402 4th Northwest Division - - DNQ

How about somebody list the actual complaints about his coaching and we track them throughout the season with an open mind both ways?

Possible or too rational for a message board? Just get angry instead and through out generalizations? Seems like the better way to go.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    How about somebody list the actual complaints about his coaching and we track them throughout the season with an open mind both ways?

Possible or too rational for a message board? Just get angry instead and through out generalizations? Seems like the better way to go.
    Because no one really knows what metrics they should use to analyze a coach correctly and it would take a lot of thought to come up with ones that are good. No one has time for that when they can just throw out an opinion on something and have a bunch of other people nod in agreement.

I thought we learned this the first time we went through this towards the end of last season, MM! It is a big part of your Glory Days series, too. (still looking forward to the completion of those, btw)

To any Mod, I think some just don't like the title. Maybe if the thread is renamed "coaching options" some posters won't be as butthurt about it. So feel free to change the title if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ever View Post
    There is a reason the posts are running around 20:1 against his idea; it makes no sense. And maybe that is the reason ItIsRynosTime can't articulate his position.
    Oops I left off the other positive and enlightening parts of your quote. Everyone likes a good underdog and personally have beat and been beat by 20:1 odds on numerous occasions. It's a 4.7% chance which is close to the same as a 2 outer on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Save this post and frame it. We will have another under performing year with Monty and he will be fired during the season. It will happen, but we are losing precious time to prove to AD he can win in NOLA.
    I hope Monty Williams can magically right the ship if only because some on the board are in a relationship with him. The kind of relationship like when you caught your boyfriend or girlfriend cheating and people keep telling you, you should leave, but you believe them when they say they won't cheat on you again and that they've changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeweaver5 View Post
    Monty Williams is a nice guy and probably is (was) a great assistant coach. He is not a good head coach. Two other teams that were in the same boat as us 2012-2013 but they changed coaches. You either can coach or you can't. Look at the saints when Sean Payton was suspended and as soon as he comes back they start winning again. I hope our new head coach keeps Monty as an assistant.
    Monty Williams can coach, I just think there are other coaches who can coach better overall in all aspects and some who run a better scheme for this particular team.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 02:37 PM.

I hope Monty Williams can magically right the ship if only because some on the board are in a relationship with him. The kind of relationship like when you're the boyfriend or girlfriend of an abusive partner and people keep telling you, you should leave but you don't think they will hit you again and you blame it on yourself even.
    There is no large enough.

Monty Williams can coach, I just think there are other coaches who can coach better overall in all aspects and some who run a better scheme for this particular team.
    What scheme did you see Monty run when the players were healthy and how is the scheme that you think is better different than that?

Too sleep deprived to talk strategy. A more offensive minded one that generates easier buckets, gets more fast break points, more 3 pointers and averages closer to 110 PPG. Teams in the West score more points per game than the East. It's a run it up conference.
    So basically you want no D you just wanna try to out score everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    There is no large enough.

What scheme did you see Monty run when the players were healthy and how is the scheme that you think is better different than that?
    Good job quick trigger. I made an edit to that seconds after you quoted it.

I hope Monty Williams can magically right the ship if only because some on the board are in a relationship with him. The kind of relationship like when you caught your boyfriend or girlfriend cheating and people keep telling you, you should leave, but you believe them when they say they won't cheat on you again and that they've changed.
    Too sleep deprived to talk strategy. A more offensive minded one that generates easier buckets, gets more fast break points, more 3 pointers and averages closer to 110 PPG. Teams in the West score more points per game than the East. It's a run it up conference.

Too sleep deprived to give detail = I have no idea about any specific details or have no well thought out ideas of my own. I just want to rabble rabble.

If I am wrong, get some sleep and then give us your detailed, brilliant basketball insight that could make this offense hum and the defense good enough to win 50+ games. Then, tell us what Monty did that was different than this plan.

But of course, not until you get some sleep.

I don't even think Monty has a system that will win us 50+ games, so I would really like to see what this guy has in mind.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 07-15-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    So basically you want no D you just wanna try to out score everyone
    So basically I should probably get some sleep. If you're going to put words in my mouth, then yes, I think the Pelicans should roll out the red carpet and let the other team put on an uncontested dunk contest for 48 minutes while they take pictures with their phones. The Pelicans could obviously still win the game if they hit enough 3's.

The object of the game is to outscore your opponent last time I checked. All the top teams in the West put up more points per game than we did last year by a good margin. Score more fast break points, attempt more 3's, take more efficient shots, quicker ball movement, and win more games.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 03:31 PM.

So basically I should probably get some sleep. If you're going to put words in my mouth, then yes, I think the Pelicans should roll out the red carpet and let the other team put on an uncontested dunk contest for 48 minutes while they take pictures with their phones. The Pelicans could obviously still win the game if they hit enough 3's.

The object of the game is to outscore your opponent last time I checked. All the top teams in the West put up more points per game than we did last year by a good margin. Score more fast break and easy buckets, win more games.
    putting words in your mouth? no I'm just reading what you're saying and no where have I seen anything about D just offense,offense and more offense. It seems like you wanna be the nash/dantoni suns and we've seen how far that got them with out playing any D....That style of play may work in the regular season but it's been proven to fail in the play-offs countless times....See houston this year or even last year and yes the object is to outscore but it'sthe object is also to stop the other team.....what good is it to have nothing but offense down 3 at the end of the game and a team easily scores on you like it's nothing

Thread Information