Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just a reminder how good RyNo is

Just a reminder how good RyNo is

Feel like this guy has been forgotten. The one man bench for two years. Quietly averaged 20 ppg off the bench before injury. Our bench can easily average 35ppg between him & whoever our backup SG is next year.

Most entertaining Pels game of the year. Ryno's stroke was a thing of beauty that night.
    If you will excuse me, I have to go return some video tapes.

It really is Ryno's time.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    It really is Ryno's time.

what a great game that was! you cant watch this video and argue for trading ryno for monroe or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Vetler View Post
    what a great game that was! you cant watch this video and argue for trading ryno for monroe or something like that
    I agree.

Pelicans ideal starting 5:

PG Jrue Holiday
    SG Eric Gordon or Tyreke Evans
    SF Anthony Davis
    PF Ryan Anderson
    C Omer Asik

#winning
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 04:26 AM.

I almost nearly forgot Ryan was showing WAY more than inklings of a post game before the injury. He might be our second most important player.

I love him.
    He is my favorite player.
    I'm gonna go back and watch that game again.

the most important is that he is still there

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    I almost nearly forgot Ryan was showing WAY more than inklings of a post game before the injury. He might be our second most important player.
    Confirmed. Ryno has a post game. He had a very strong post game as a Senior in High School when he towered over everyone. He averaged 28.9 PPG. He made 317 Field goals and only 41 were from 3! He also made 193 free throws.

Ryan also had a post game in two years at California. It was only the NBA that turned him into focusing on the long ball but he has post moves and can score in the post.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 06:30 AM.

So glad we're past the point where there's 6 threads per day that are trying to trade him.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    I agree.

Pelicans ideal starting 5:

PG Jrue Holiday
    SG Eric Gordon or Tyreke Evans
    SF Anthony Davis
    PF Ryan Anderson
    C Omer Asik

#winning
    Anthony Davis is not a 3 and Ryno will never start, sorry.

Why does starting matter though when he will get 27-30mpg?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Anthony Davis is not a 3 and Ryno will never start, sorry.

Why does starting matter though when he will get 27-30mpg?
    Anthony Davis is more of a 3 than he is a 5. He is the same height as Kevin Durant 6'10". AD likes to shoot 20 foot jumpers. AD can guard any SF in the league. AD is a very dynamic player, he can play the 3, 4, or 5. AD would be better at the 3 than the 5. On this team AD could split time between the 3 and the 4 depending on match-ups. Ryan Anderson could also split time between the 4 and the 3 depending on match-ups. I've gone over it in some more detail in some other threads.

Why does it matter? It matters all the difference in the world. The difference from 28-30 minutes to 36-39 minutes. The difference from stretching the floor for the starting 5 and making them less likely to double team. If Ryno is going to be playing at the end of games he gets much better rest between minutes starting. Ryno is an excellent FT shooter so teams don't want to foul him intentionally. The difference from having a lead and putting teams away and having to fight from behind. The difference from winning a close game and losing a close game. The difference from entering the game hot as a shooter and coming in off the bench cold. The difference from being recognized when you're a starter by the general public and coming off the bench and not getting as much credit.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Anthony Davis is more a 4 than anything else.

/end discussion

Anthony Davis is more of a 3 than he is a 5. He is the same height as Kevin Durant 6'10". AD likes to shoot 20 foot jumpers. AD can guard any SF in the league. AD is a very dynamic player, he can play the 3, 4, or 5. AD would be better at the 3 than the 5. On this team AD could split time between the 3 and the 4 depending on match-ups. Ryan Anderson could also split time between the 4 and the 3 depending on match-ups. I've gone over it in some more detail in some other threads.

Why does it matter? It matters all the difference in the world. The difference from 28-30 minutes to 36-39 minutes. The difference from stretching the floor for the starting 5 and making them less likely to double team. If Ryno is going to be playing at the end of games he gets much better rest between minutes starting. Ryno is an excellent FT shooter so teams don't want to foul him intentionally. The difference from having a lead and putting teams away and having to fight from behind. The difference from winning a close game and losing a close game. The difference from entering the game hot as a shooter and coming in off the bench cold. The difference from being recognized when you're a starter by the general public and coming off the bench and not getting as much credit.
    AD cannot guard "any 3 in the league"...they'd run circles around him off of screens and he'd be exhausted all game. Keep him where he belongs in the middle getting rebounds and blocking shots. He could guard some 3's just fine but honestly let's keep him in the position where he put up a 20-10 season in his second year. It seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    AD cannot guard "any 3 in the league"...they'd run circles around him off of screens and he'd be exhausted all game. Keep him where he belongs in the middle getting rebounds and blocking shots. He could guard some 3's just fine but honestly let's keep him in the position where he put up a 20-10 season in his second year. It seems to be working.
    LMAO do 3's run circles around Chandler Parsons? Do they run circles around Carmelo Anthony? Do they run circles around Kevin Durant? Do 3's run circles around Danilo Gallinari? In fact, which 3's run a lot at all? Anthony Davis is quick, he's quicker than most 3's and would give them fits.

Asik had 11.7 rebounds per game in 30 minutes a game two seasons ago. Asik will cut into AD's rebounding numbers either way.

What I was saying is I think AD should should split time between starting at the 3 and the 4 because that's the best option for this team, this year, to win the most games in my honest opinion.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Can't believe I'm missing the Salmons debates already.

Anthony Davis is more of a 3 than he is a 5. He is the same height as Kevin Durant 6'10". AD likes to shoot 20 foot jumpers.
    He's also the same height as Dwight Howard. And just because he CAN shoot jumpers (even though he's under 40% from mid range this past year), it doesn't make him a SF. He probably already has a better post game than Durant. His style of play is much more of a rim protector than a jump shooter. Put him at SF, it also takes away his strength as a pick and roll player against bigs that are slower than him. Same when he's in isolation.

The issue isn't that AD can't do it. He could guard 3s and be effective there. The issue is that at the 3 he's not creating mismatches and causing havoc. When he's at the 4 or 5 there are no players that can guard him. The further away from the basket he is though the bigger the risk of his game. Do I want him playing on a wing with LBJ guarding him? No because I don't want him being a big that shoots 3 (like bosh).

Ryno and AD will close out games most nights and it will be a thing of beauty. I don't need to play AD at the 3 to try and get Asik minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    He's also the same height as Dwight Howard. And just because he CAN shoot jumpers (even though he's under 40% from mid range this past year), it doesn't make him a SF. He probably already has a better post game than Durant. His style of play is much more of a rim protector than a jump shooter. Put him at SF, it also takes away his strength as a pick and roll player against bigs that are slower than him. Same when he's in isolation.
    D12 is 6'11" and AD is 6'10" and D12 is bigger physically. AD is closer to a SF in strength, quickness, and athleticism. We have centers who are rim protectors also. It's something to be discussed. And I think AD would be most effective splitting time between the 3-4 unless he bulks up to be a 5 later in his career but why force that on him? He's more likely to stay healthy at SF. It makes sense with the current roster.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-15-2014 at 09:44 AM.

It doesn't make any sense.

D12 is 6'11" and AD is 6'10" and D12 is bigger physically. AD is closer to a SF in strength, quickness, and athleticism. We have centers who are rim protectors also. It's something to be discussed. And I think AD would be most effective splitting time between the 3-4 unless he bulks up to be a 5 later in his career but why force that on him? He's more likely to stay healthy at SF. It makes sense with the current roster.
    So wait let me get this right. . .

You are arguing that both Ryno AND AD should play SF? Who the heck will play PF!? You don't ruin one of if not the best front courts in the west because of a lack of players at another position.

Wait a second...i have the solution. ASIK AT SF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The issue isn't that AD can't do it. He could guard 3s and be effective there. The issue is that at the 3 he's not creating mismatches and causing havoc. When he's at the 4 or 5 there are no players that can guard him. The further away from the basket he is though the bigger the risk of his game. Do I want him playing on a wing with LBJ guarding him? No because I don't want him being a big that shoots 3 (like bosh).

Ryno and AD will close out games most nights and it will be a thing of beauty. I don't need to play AD at the 3 to try and get Asik minutes.
    AD can shoot over and take the smaller 3's inside while playing strong defense on the deepest position in the NBA. So if he did that 30-70% of the time and played the 4 30-70% of the time? He could do both since he's fully capable of both. And then we no longer have a hole at SF or in the starting 5.

What's the latest on Anderson's health; and when will he be ready to play?

Thread Information