Pelicans Report

Thread: 1st Round Pick Protection

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   

1st Round Pick Protection

Just talked to a guy familiar with the Asik trade and he clarified the 1st round pick protection a little. It's similar to what we thought but the exact protection on the pick is as follows:

It's protected 1-3 and 20-30 until 2020. Then, it becomes a 2nd round pick. So, basically the first time it falls into the 4-19 range, the Rockets get it. If it never does, they get a 2nd rounder in 2021.

Based on last year, even if we are the 8th seed we'd likely keep the pick. The East has gotten deeper, but IMO if we keep the pick this year I don't think we'll ever have to give them a first round pick, as I think we all agree as AD continues to grow, we'll just get better and better therefore keeping the pick each year.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    I understand people worrying about Asik leaving after one year (not that I am at all), but there's probably just as good a chance, if not better, that Houston never gets a first round pick than him leaving after one year.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    I understand people worrying about Asik leaving after one year (not that I am at all), but there's probably just as good a chance, if not better, that Houston never gets a first round pick than him leaving after one year.
    I'm not worried about him leaving either. As long as he likes the team, and nothing bad happens, I think he'll stay for a while. He really wanted out of Houston. He was starting then Dwight came in and he got bumped. We swoop in and help him out. (Or possibly rescue him) We offer him a starting role that he obviously feels he deserves. As long as there are no major shakeups, and no Players clashing, I think he'll do fine and enjoy it here.

HAVOC thanks for the information, many including myself have been wondering about the protection of that pick.

Thread Information