Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Salmons to pels

I year 2 mil guys...

I've never said to sign player X, and I'm surely not in favor of signing an old far who's set in his ways who doesn't hustle back on defense. Player X means nothing to me if player X isn't on the market to help our transition defense and offense. John Salmon got cut by the Hawks. He's done!

Just bcuz we have a RE, that dont mean that we HAVE TO use it on John Salmon. Hell, I have money in my back account, tgat doesn't mean I HAVE TO USE IT/SPEND IT NOW!
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 07-14-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I doubt players like Wesly and Hamilton wouldn't want to come here. We have a huge hole at sf where they would be guaranteed major minutes and possibly starting. With other teams they would more likely be back ups or 3rd string players.
    Serious question... do you think we're a title contender this season with "enter any available free agent SF here" on the roster?

The contract is 2 mill for 1 year... we're not paying him 5 mill/yr for 5 years. Salmons (even if he starts) will only play a good 12-15 mins per game, so for those 5 mins he'll probably only be asked to knock down shots and play some defense. We're not asking him to carry our scoring load by himself.

I get it... some guys hate Salmons. I'm no fan either, but he's only a stop-gap for now on real short contract.

I feel like we could have gotten him for the min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot up shooting (3's) - Salmons was 41$, Casspi was 34%

Transition 3's - Salmons was 40%, Casspi was 30.6%

1.05 ppp in those situations for Salmons. 0.9 ppp for Casspi
    @mcnamara247

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    I feel like we could have gotten him for the min.

We should sign Anthony Mason for the min

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    This isn't a "solution" anyways. this is stop-gap for one year for chump change in the NBA. Everyone take a breath we will be fine!
    By "solution" I'm specifically referring to the start/stop-gap at SF. I have no problem with adding vets with a particular skillset.

I'm just assuming/hoping there is a plan to get another SF in here.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    I've never said to sign player X, and I'm surely not in favor of signing an old far who's set in his ways who doesn't hustle back on defense. Player X means nothing to me if player X isn't on tge market to help our transition defense and offense. John Salmon got cut by the Hawks. He's done!
    He got cut by the Hawks because it would have cost them an extra 6 mil to keep him. Nobody is saying Salmons is worth 6 mil

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I don't think he's even good enough to be considered a stop gap, but that's just me. Some one else HAS to be getting more minutes than him at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Serious question... do you think we're a title contender this season with "enter any available free agent SF here" on the roster?

The contract is 2 mill for 1 year... we're not paying him 5 mill/yr for 5 years. Salmons (even if he starts) will only play a good 12-15 mins per game, so for those 5 mins he'll probably only be asked to knock down shots and play some defense. We're not asking him to carry our scoring load by himself.

I get it... some guys hate Salmons. I'm no fan either, but he's only a stop-gap for now on real short contract.
    I'll grade this on who's the starting SF then. We have 4 Roster spots left so I think they are still moves comming.

Jrue/Rivers/Russ
    Tyreke/Gordon
    Salmons
    AD/Ryno
    Asik/Ajinca/Withey

1-6

Salmons shot 29.4% from the field and 16.7% behind the arc in the playoffs. That is Danny Granger-esque.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Spot up shooting (3's) - Salmons was 41$, Casspi was 34%

Transition 3's - Salmons was 40%, Casspi was 30.6%

1.05 ppp in those situations for Salmons. 0.9 ppp for Casspi
    That means that for every spot up 3 he hits, salmons gives 41 dollars to each fan.

How can you people not like that?

(just trying to lighten the mood a tad MM, it's so doom and gloom in here)

Another thing that this signing should show people - Our "SF" is not going to be getting 30-33 minutes like some speculated he would.

There will be a ton of 3 guard lineups and/or playing of SF by committee with Babbitt getting some minutes there and maybe even AD for 4-6 mins a game as we go AD-Ryno-Asik

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I'll grade this on who's the starting SF then. We have 4 Roster spots left so I think they are still moves comming.

Jrue/Rivers/Russ
    Tyreke/Gordon
    Salmons
    AD/Ryno
    Asik/Ajinca/Withey
    I REALLY don't think Salmons is the starter. We'll see what happens though.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    We should sign Anthony Mason for the min
    I think you mean mutumbo

This was an incredibly strange move to me, but there really wasn't anyone left in FA. Maybe they are high on someone in summer league, and they just wanted a veteran presence in the locker room? I can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Salmons shot 29.4% from the field and 16.7% behind the arc in the playoffs. That is Danny Granger-esque.
    At least 12 of his 17 shots in that large sample size were from behind the arc. Took the right "type" of shots.

There is nothing in his stats that say he was the best play here. Nothing. I just don't think it is all about stats for Dell and Monty on this particular move.

He got cut by the Hawks because it would have cost them an extra 6 mil to keep him. Nobody is saying Salmons is worth 6 mil
    ...and nobody was knocking down his doors to sign him off the streets after he got cut either. Bottomline, bad signing! This is tge only one I've commented on, disagreeing with Dells thoughts and moves this off season. Bad signing! John Salmon hurts your team defense.

Was hoping ersan I for EG.

Another thing that this signing should show people - Our "SF" is not going to be getting 30-33 minutes like some speculated he would.

There will be a ton of 3 guard lineups and/or playing of SF by committee with Babbitt getting some minutes there and maybe even AD for 4-6 mins a game as we go AD-Ryno-Asik
    Jrue Gordon and Tyreke will be on the court together a lot if I had to put my money on it. Maybe they want someone who is willing to take on a reserved role.

Called It!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    That means that for every spot up 3 he hits, salmons gives 41 dollars to each fan.

How can you people not like that?

(just trying to lighten the mood a tad MM, it's so doom and gloom in here)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Jrue Gordon and Tyreke will be on the court together a lot if I had to put my money on it. Maybe they want someone who is willing to take on a reserved role.
    Yep, and just hit the occasional catch and shoot 3 - which he shot at 42.6% last year. FAR better than a lot of other options available.

But again, stats won't sell this move. It will be about intangibles, and fans don't get to see those a lot of times, so it doesn't make sense to us. A guy like Willie Green, though, was huge in the locker room. On the court, Marcus Thornton was far more dynamic. But there is a reason playoff teams want Willie Green and Marcus Thornton just keeps getting passed around.

Great! So now we have "no hustle" John Salmon to pair up with "slow feet" Babbitt to defend those NBA SFs for the Pelicans.

I'M REALLY EXCITED NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    ...and nobody was knocking down his doors to sign him off the streets after he got cut either. Bottomline, bad signing! This is tge only one I've commented on, disagreeing with Dells thoughts and moves this off season. Bad signing! John Salmon hurts your team defense.
    Same thing can be said about the other free agents that are looking for a home (Jordan Hamilton, Matrix, Wes Johnson).

The only way this could have been a bad signing was if we gave him a multi-year deal. If he sux, then we only have to endure it for 1 season.

Thread Information