Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Salmons to pels

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Bronco, I just hate how the overbearing sense of doom & gloom on this board wears on me after a while. Once it gets bad enough for me to no longer enjoy visiting, I stop and stay away for a couple months. Still, it should never get to that point.

Being irrationally happy is not what I want since I would leave for similar reasons. I just want the oppressive atmosphere to go away.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    What's amazing to me is that the overwhelming majority of this board is(I would argue) overly optimistic right now. Just go look at the playoffs threads or the get a new coach threads.

It's actually rather ridiculous sounding when you claim this board is overly negative. You want negativity? Go look on any other board and talk about the Pelicans. Almost universally Monty is considered awful, Demps is mostly garbage, Evan's is not gonna progress, Jrue is overrated and Gordon is horrible. About the only thing outside of this forum I have come across positively about the Pelicans is Davis. This board has an overwhelming optimism littered with a few people not towing that line. The salmons trade is actually probably the singular thread that isn't majority positive.

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481 View Post
    To be fair, his assuming that Salmons' deal being in the 1.9m range vs. the 2m being reported is not all that unfair an assumption. Reports on twitter, in regards to contracts, round these numbers a lot. Very easy to round the approximately 1,911,000 number given to Salmons to 2,000,000. While we probably did use the RE, this kind of thinking--at the least--is something that reeks of a Dell type of move.
    I know, but David is like a lot of people on here - HOPING that we didn't use the RLE and trying to find a way that this is possible.

Meanwhile, our source continues to tell us it was the RLE and there was a very specific reason why it was only 2 million.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I know, but David is like a lot of people on here - HOPING that we didn't use the RLE and trying to find a way that this is possible.

Meanwhile, our source continues to tell us it was the RLE and there was a very specific reason why it was only 2 million.
    I don't know if it as much hoping as it is what would be expected. Whether they choose to ever use the RE or not, it would not be prudent to throw it away if there were a relatively easy way to maintain its availability. The way explained on BW and that I had spelled out previously seem very logical way for a GM to handle the transactions unless there is something none of us are thinking about from a "rules" standpoint.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar

Understandable. I'm guessing, based on a comment above, we have a team/owner mandated 75million dollar cap and that's why it's only 2million.

So, and again this is not intended to be overly negative, is anyone else worried about our ability to defend bigger wings? Aminu was nothing special as a defender, but as a man defender, he's worlds better than Salmons and has a physical profile that was difficult to shoot over or blow by. Tyreke Evans is probably the best option on the roster right now to defend the few elite big wings because he at least has the requisite size, length, and athleticism to do so if he's focused, and with this signing, I'd increasingly prefer him to start at SF over Salmons as a opposed to come off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    So, and again this is not intended to be overly negative, is anyone else worried about our ability to defend bigger wings? Aminu was nothing special as a defender, but as a man defender, he's worlds better than Salmons and has a physical profile that was difficult to shoot over or blow by. Tyreke Evans is probably the best option on the roster right now to defend the few elite big wings because he at least has the requisite size, length, and athleticism to do so if he's focused, and with this signing, I'd increasingly prefer him to start at SF over Salmons as a opposed to come off the bench.
    I think people are worried about that. But I think a lot of people see the 100 things that are positive about a roster with this much skill and think that the things will do well will be able to overcome a weakness.

The Thunder had Derek Fisher and Kendrick Persons getting key minutes at key spots. Thabo was a no show. Lamb did nothing. And yet, they had a great year because they had a transcendent player and a couple other really talented ones around him.

If AD becomes that, you can have John Bobbit at SF, let alone John Salmons. It comes down to him and the other 5 very, very good players. Their strength will over come one weakness more times than not.

I think people are worried about that. But I think a lot of people see the 100 things that are positive about a roster with this much skill and think that the things will do well will be able to overcome a weakness.

The Thunder had Derek Fisher and Kendrick Persons getting key minutes at key spots. Thabo was a no show. Lamb did nothing. And yet, they had a great year because they had a transcendent player and a couple other really talented ones around him.

If AD becomes that, you can have John Bobbit at SF, let alone John Salmons. It comes down to him and the other 5 very, very good players. Their strength will over come one weakness more times than not.
    Umm well, is this the same guy I'm thinking of?

I think B-Spasm's point is very easy to blow over with "the team will cover the weak link" but I believe that the bigger, longer, stronger, physical wings (I prefer to say small forwards) like Iggy, LBJ, KD, VCarter, Batuun, deng, Melo, etc tend to be the guys that can light you up for 40 or a triple double as opposed to your weak link being one of the other positions. Chances are a weak link at center (STEAMER) will not give up the house to even the Howards of the world. My concern is who lines up against the small forwards that are skilled enough to take over the game?
    Respectfully.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

???

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    ???
    It seems like Benson has a $75 million budget on spending per year for this team because as currently constructed that's where the team is I believe. This is nothing to worry about. Most owners have a team budget.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Agent View Post
    I think B-Spasm's point is very easy to blow over with "the team will cover the weak link" but I believe that the bigger, longer, stronger, physical wings (I prefer to say small forwards) like Iggy, LBJ, KD, VCarter, Batuun, deng, Melo, etc tend to be the guys that can light you up for 40 or a triple double as opposed to your weak link being one of the other positions. Chances are a weak link at center (STEAMER) will not give up the house to even the Howards of the world. My concern is who lines up against the small forwards that are skilled enough to take over the game?
    Respectfully.
    I worry about this too with Durant. I struggle to find other SF's who can create their own shot in the West though. At least on a high enough level that making that guy the teams' #1 option would help that team more than it would hurt it. Yeah, Parsons and Batum can create their own, but if Portland and Dallas are now running their offense through those guys, I will live with that.

Same with Leonard - he is a very good player, but I am not worried about him being the focal point of that offense. And again, with AD and Asik behind you, how easy will it be for guys to get 40. Even if they get by Salmons or Evans, look who is waiting for them at the rim. Is it a concern? Definitely. It will be the one and only priority at the deadline and/or next summer. But I would rather have 1 problem than two. Asik not only shored up one problem, but he made it a strength. One problem left to solve.

I worry about this too with Durant. I struggle to find other SF's who can create their own shot in the West though. At least on a high enough level that making that guy the teams' #1 option would help that team more than it would hurt it. Yeah, Parsons and Batum can create their own, but if Portland and Dallas are now running their offense through those guys, I will live with that.

Same with Leonard - he is a very good player, but I am not worried about him being the focal point of that offense. And again, with AD and Asik behind you, how easy will it be for guys to get 40. Even if they get by Salmons or Evans, look who is waiting for them at the rim. Is it a concern? Definitely. It will be the one and only priority at the deadline and/or next summer. But I would rather have 1 problem than two. Asik not only shored up one problem, but he made it a strength. One problem left to solve.
    Appreciate the followup. I guess I'm just concerned that these guys (small forwards) don't necessarily need to get to the rim to dominate. If we have no one with the length or defensive mindset to challenge their mid & outside game I think it has the potential to get ugly. In a positive light, hopefully that wont be the norm. So not "if" but "when" it does happen I hope Monty will have a Darius Miller on the bench to go in with the one mission of quashing the flame. I do like the spacing Salmons will give on offense and agree with you that this is the one problem left to solve.

Appreciate the followup. I guess I'm just concerned that these guys (small forwards) don't necessarily need to get to the rim to dominate. If we have no one with the length or defensive mindset to challenge their mid & outside game I think it has the potential to get ugly. In a positive light, hopefully that wont be the norm. So not "if" but "when" it does happen I hope Monty will have a Darius Miller on the bench to go in with the one mission of quashing the flame. I do like the spacing Salmons will give on offense and agree with you that this is the one problem left to solve.

Correct me if I'm wrong somebody. Even with the Salmons signing, Dell still can use the RLE, if he makes a few moves as indicated in the Bird Writes article.....

Who could we have signed (in retrospect) with the MLE that could defend Durant, let alone for the RLE? Even further, who signed for less than the 8.3 million that we were able to scrape together for Asik that could defend Durant? I would alternate Rivers and AD on him with lots of help. That's why I don't coach in the NBA.....

I doubt even Aminu would sign for the RLE. We can't afford a perfect starting 5 plus two starters off the bench. So, be are stuck with a very good starting 4, 2 starters off the bench, and a solid backbench. I see us winning 50+ games if the top 6 average 72+ games played healthy. Go Dels!

Yeah, I am curious to see how much more aggressive having AD and Asik back there allows our wings to be. I could see whoever the SF is getting right up on any of those guys and pushing them towards our shot blockers. I mean, with guys like Durant, you aren't stopping them no matter what, but what you do want to do is make sure they don't get a 2nd chance. Havind AD and Asik on the boards should send our defensive rebound % soaring. Fewer buckets at the rim and fewer 2nd chance opportunities, combined with more turnovers if we allow our perimeter defenders to be more aggressive, and I think the defense takes a huge leap.

But it will have issues, and I am sure on some nights, a SF might light us up, but I really struggle to find SF's in the West capable of throwing up 30, let alone 40. I got Durant and Rudy Gay. And Rudy Gay is going to take 25 shots to get 30, so I am fine with that. When you think about how much teams utilize picks, I think having another big at the rim helps stop a perimeter guy as much as another wing defender would have. Sure, you can put X defender on Durant, but what does it matter if he is just going to use the pick and roll to be freed of that guy?

It is something we need to upgrade, but it is something I think we can mask in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    Who could we have signed (in retrospect) with the MLE that could defend Durant, let alone for the RLE? Even further, who signed for less than the 8.3 million that we were able to scrape together for Asik that could defend Durant? I would alternate Rivers and AD on him with lots of help. That's why I don't coach in the NBA.....

I doubt even Aminu would sign for the RLE. We can't afford a perfect starting 5 plus two starters off the bench. So, be are stuck with a very good starting 4, 2 starters off the bench, and a solid backbench. I see us winning 50+ games if the top 6 average 72+ games played healthy. Go Dels!
    Perhaps Shawn Marion has had a few days to let it sink in that Cuban isn't going to call. What better way to get back at Cuban. Vince Carter has left the building as well. I would love to have a savvy vet like Marion bother all the problem SF in the league. I think he could pull it of in small stints.

Is it a concern? Definitely. It will be the one and only priority at the deadline and/or next summer. But I would rather have 1 problem than two. Asik not only shored up one problem, but he made it a strength. One problem left to solve.
    Fair enough. There isn't a big man rotation in basketball I would trade for what we have. Our backcourt is also excellent. I worry that, as a result of the complete lack of competence of players we have of a certain size and skillset, it will mitigate our advantages, force us to play actively harmful players significant minutes, and force players who are otherwise good outside of their ideal roles. I'd worry about this less if our coach wasn't a position traditionalist. There isn't a great solution, and even if we had the MLE, I don't see many ideal solutions given the price in this market for really marginal wings. I appreciate those limitations.

Only wish we could resurrect Clyde "the DREAM" Drexler. Wasn't he a NOLA guy? But remember guys who do we have to defend? Trevor Ariza, Kawhi Leonard, Tayshaun Prince or Quincy Pondexer and Chandler Parsons. I think we can guard those guys. No KD or Rudy Gay in our division. Should't we be able to play a D guy on these guys and not worry about the O and 3 to start games and 3rd quarter for 6-7 minutes each?
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 07-15-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Yeah, I am curious to see how much more aggressive having AD and Asik back there allows our wings to be. I could see whoever the SF is getting right up on any of those guys and pushing them towards our shot blockers. I mean, with guys like Durant, you aren't stopping them no matter what, but what you do want to do is make sure they don't get a 2nd chance. Havind AD and Asik on the boards should send our defensive rebound % soaring. Fewer buckets at the rim and fewer 2nd chance opportunities, combined with more turnovers if we allow our perimeter defenders to be more aggressive, and I think the defense takes a huge leap.

But it will have issues, and I am sure on some nights, a SF might light us up, but I really struggle to find SF's in the West capable of throwing up 30, let alone 40. I got Durant and Rudy Gay. And Rudy Gay is going to take 25 shots to get 30, so I am fine with that. When you think about how much teams utilize picks, I think having another big at the rim helps stop a perimeter guy as much as another wing defender would have. Sure, you can put X defender on Durant, but what does it matter if he is just going to use the pick and roll to be freed of that guy?

It is something we need to upgrade, but it is something I think we can mask in the short term.
    Just for ****es and giggles, MM, would you take Aminu on this team at a vet minimum just for this specific potential defensive problem at SF. I know you have said in past threads that aminu was not the defensive juggernot that people gave him credit and I can't argue that, but was he ever abused? Isn't his length and athleticism worth a defensive roster spot on our team (assuming he would play for minimum & whole heartedly accept the role)? I mean he was a good teammate and knows the system right?

Just for ****es and giggles, MM, would you take Aminu on this team at a vet minimum just for this specific potential defensive problem at SF. I know you have said in past threads that aminu was not the defensive juggernot that people gave him credit and I can't argue that, but was he ever abused? Isn't his length and athleticism worth a defensive roster spot on our team (assuming he would play for minimum & whole heartedly accept the role)? I mean he was a good teammate and knows the system right?

No, Aminu is gone and I hope he is never mentioned for this team again.....Besides if you get Aminu back with the idea he can stop the better SF's in the league then he would have to start...There goes your Spacing on offense.

I wouldn't. I would rather give Babbitt or Miller time at SF. I just think he limits things so much on the offensive end, and I would rather move on from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican_Brief View Post
    No, Aminu is gone and I hope he is never mentioned for this team again.....Besides if you get Aminu back with the idea he can stop the better SF's in the league then he would have to start...There goes your Spacing on offense.
    No, I'm saying have him on the bench to bring in as a 'hired gun' to quash any SF that is going off because we don't have a physical match up for him. Yes...even KD. Also, responses seem to only want to talk about divisional SF. We play everybody guys and each win or loss will count in the west when trying to get to 50 wins. Again...assuming he realizes he is only worth the minimum contract and accepts the bench role...

I am warming up to this signing after a look at his assists. As others mentioned he will be good at just not messing anything up. Hit the quick three in transition or he can defer to Ryno across the way. Passing is a pretty key attribute when you have the offensive firepower we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information