Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Salmons to pels

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Yes, because you are over the cap still.

66.27 minus Hopson and Casspi puts you at about 63.8. Not to mention Miller's hold.
    Yeah just missed. I thought they had it but forgot Ely's hold.
    Last edited by BP225; 07-15-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I don't know about justification.

Personally, i have to get away from this board (more so than from saintsreport, even if i find myself much better here than there) because people get so tragically pessimistic about anything at all. Be it the colour of monty's tie or gordon lifting an eyebrow while shooting a free throw, this board (and i'm saying this because i don't really know how other nba boards work honestly) will find a reason to complain and call anything possible **** and be pessimistic at hitherto unreachable levels. I mean i'm probably the most pessimistic person i've ever met in my life (if you could say that) and still, god. Sometimes it's just a grind, and it gets tiresome.

Talking strictly about myself, i was happy we got casspi because of what i remembered about him (lots of years ago unfortunately) and because apparently the FO wanted him and so i thought, good, there must be a reason behind that. Maybe he could come contribute. I did know next to nothing about him and after doing some research, eh, i was not thrilled but whatever. Then he got waived and i thought ok, maybe they didn't want him and had to take him for whatever reason. Not such a big loss, we'll survive.

Then we sign salmons and all hell breaks loose. Now, do i like it? No, not really. I liked wesley j, cdr and hamilton much better than him. Do i think we overpaid him anyway? Yes i think we did. I can't say i like much the guy as a player and i'd rather have had someone else, but i suppose i have to trust the FO on this one. They've been wrong before, they could be again, that's fine, if it happens, it happens, can't be worse than having aminu playing extended minutes no?

Does this all mean OH GOD, WE'RE DOOMED, FRANCHISE IS ****, APOLOGISTS **** OFF, LET'S SLIT OUR WRISTS...?

No?

People are acting like we did again the morris peterson move. It's a guy, a single guy, for a single year. No we're not happy with it, we all understand it...now can we please withhold judgement for a few *cringes* months before starting to pack things up and blowing everything up as well?

I mean, i've been a critic of managements time and time again. I hated after a while seeing aminu getting so much playing time, i hated seeing roberts held on to, and i absolutely hated seeing stiemsma playing so much. Dell makes mistakes, and monty makes even more mistakes. Who doesn't? But during this offseason i'd say things have gone pretty much smoothly and we achieved a great move in getting asik...

Is it really too much to ask this board for, to be happy for a couple of seconds? Not even minutes, seconds. No? Yes?

Now people who don't condemn a move months before a player even hits the floor are just condescending or whatever else. I mean, if you want keep thinking negatively for the rest of the season, who am i to tell anyone better. I say stay put and think about something positive, for a change.

Here we have a saying "non fasciarti la testa prima d'averla rotta" which loosely translates to "don't bandage your head before having split/broken it".

Can we please wait to have our collective heads split or broken before worrying about bandaging them?
    Good post. I'm starting to understand what MM is talking about.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Possible. But we were told that this was done using the RLE and to expect the rest of the roster to be filled out with Miller and a training camp guy. We shall see.
    Oh, ok. It just seemed to fit too perfectly. Maybe they would have had to renounce Miller to do so. Maybe there was some reason they could not do it that way (although I recall Lowe talking last year about how important it is to put transactions in the correct order and the press conference for Asik was a day later than expected). Regardless of whether they use it or not, it would be nice to have it if needed.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I have a meeting in 5 minutes, but just wanted to chime in...

Just because we come up with a list of free agents, doesn't mean those dudes want to or would sign here. I have no doubt that Salmons was the best guy we could sign, otherwise we would have signed someone better.

This isn't a video game and these dudes make decisions based on a multitude of factors. I fully expect that everyone isn't as eager to sign a 1yr deal with the Pelicans as we'd like to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I add up all of our guys + Gee + Hopson + Salmons and get about $62.8 considering Holiday's reduced cap number.

Gordon $14,898,958
    Evans $11,265,416
    Holiday $9,904,495
    Anderson $8,491,500
    Davis $5,607,240
    Rivers $2,439,840
    Withey $816,482
    Ajinca $981,084
    Babbit $981,084
    Miller $915,243
    Gee $3,000,000
    Hopson $1,450,878
    Salmons $2,000,000
    Total $62,752,220

It seems like the Room Exception could still be in play depending on the order of transactions submitted to the league.
    Missing a big 7 foot guy in there, no?
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Great post Kurgan, none of this is as serious as some if not all collectively, are making it out to be. We got ASIK and didn't have to trade Ryno! Awesome! We got Salmons? Whoppity Frickin' Doo!! We can't really do anything about but accept it and try to to understand the move until the season starts.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Missing a big 7 foot guy in there, no?
    Yes, it's easy to forget a guy that only played 2 games

Yes, it's easy to forget a guy that only played 2 games
    Missed Asik is what I was referring to

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    This is a lot of text to basically say I don't do well on Message boards because I don't deal well with people having opinions and feelings different from my own. No offense.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MG3n2K9 View Post
    You missed Asik
    No I didn't. If you had been able to stay under the cap, which it looked like we had done when I had forgotten Ely's contract, then you could have submitted the Salmons signing into cap space before the Asik trade and had the Room Exception still available.

Either way, you can't find a way to get the 2 mil. Like I said, people have to come to terms with the RLE being gone.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Good post. I'm starting to understand what MM is talking about.
    What do you want this place to be exactly? A place where we all bask in our eternal happiness of all things Pelicans by sharing photoshops of Dell Demps covered in hearts and glitter riding on a rainbow?

I mean this is a discussion board. Made up of individuals with their own thoughts and beliefs all sharing and discussing a common interest. If your expectation is that people need to think and act a certain way about every topic of interest you are going to be in for a miserable time. Its the nature of human beings to have different emotions and reactions when faced with issues that don't have clear black an white answers or 100% certainty of its outcome. As long as the people here follow the rules of the board I don't think any opinion or reflection of that opinion is invalid.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-15-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Either way, you can't find a way to get the 2 mil. Like I said, people have to come to terms with the RLE being gone.
    We had it and didn't use it last year. I also wonder if Benson set a budget of $75 million. If you take our current salary and add Asik's balloon payment you get very close to the $75 million mark.

We had it and didn't use it last year. I also wonder if Benson set a budget of $75 million. If you take our current salary and add Asik's balloon payment you get very close to the $75 million mark.
    You might be on to something

Considering the Asik trade just got approved, I think they could have fit Salmon into space before the trade. It may have taken renouncing Miller (which would be no big deal given he will be re-signed for minimum salary if re-signed) which would still have left us with 12 salaries.

We had it and didn't use it last year.
    We didn't use it last year? Did Steimsma end up getting signed into space?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We didn't use it last year? Did Steimsma end up getting signed into space?
    I'm not sure it was ever clear. We all assumed he was signed into the exception because of the amount of his contract but we heard later reports that he was signed into cap space.

It was slightly more than the exception. We signed him into space

It was slightly more than the exception. We signed him into space
    Am I reading this right? We still have the RLE?

CRAP NVM you're talking about Steamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

No. That was talking about Stiemsma last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Don't know how you got that from a conversation talking about Stiemsma last year.

I don't know how many different times or ways I can type this. THE RLE IS GONE!

Expect a Miller signing and some SL guys being brought in for a chance at the 15th spot.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    So you're saying another trade is coming

Don't know how you got that from a conversation talking about Stiemsma last year.

I don't know how many different times or ways I can type this. THE RLE IS GONE!

Expect a Miller signing and some SL guys being brought in for a chance at the 15th spot.
    I'm at work! I skimmed the last few posts. It is in a salmons thread. I was holding out hope Dell had one more rabbit. Lol

I love you guys and all, but once again, this ignorance is annoying.(Same thing with the Morrow situation)

We lost our RLE.... getting Salmons. No more RLE, we aren't getting one of your hopeful SFs.. our offseason is basically done.
    Like MM said... Miller and a SL body... that is it.
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Thread Information