Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Salmons to pels

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    It's just maddening. I have a friend who is a Sacramento fan; he sent me a text saying "ha". Why the hurry to sign this guy? Wait a week or so, you'd get someone equally as good for the minimum. Besides one thing (corner 3s), it's be hard to find a worse NBA player who played more.
    I just don't get post like this, John maybe a good fit for what we want out a SF this season give the guy a chance.
    A lot of us was saying the same thing to Bulls fans when they signed Marco and look how that turned out. Man I never knew we had so many scouts on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I hate the Salmons pick up don't get me wrong, but you really think this signing will affect how we will finish in the west this year? Man o man, Salmons has more power than he knows it. Should have held out for more $$
    I don't know, man. If we're fighting for the last couple playoff spots, and this guy is as bad as he's been recently or worse, then yeah. I think he could help us lose a couple close games that could swing things one way or another compared to another bad small forward. PER is a flawed statistic, but he posted a freaking 7.8 last year. He made 36% of his overall shots, and took more shots from 2 than 3; his overall 3P% is good, not special, and from anywhere but the corner he's not good. His net rating for the last 3 seasons have been -8, -9, and -13. He's not a good player. My impression, admittedly limited from stats, a few games here and there, and how much other fan bases hate the guy, is that he's an actively harmful player who could lose you games if you play him enough.

I don't know, man. If we're fighting for the last couple playoff spots, and this guy is as bad as he's been recently or worse, then yeah. I think he could help us lose a couple close games that could swing things one way or another compared to another bad small forward. PER is a flawed statistic, but he posted a freaking 7.8 last year. He made 36% of his overall shots, and took more shots from 2 than 3; his overall 3P% is good, not special, and from anywhere but the corner he's not good. His net rating for the last 3 seasons have been -8, -9, and -13. He's not a good player. My impression, admittedly limited from stats, a few games here and there, and how much other fan bases hate the guy, is that he's an actively harmful player who could lose you games if you play him enough.
    Pretty sure AD's net rating has been negative the last 2 years too. He must be terrible too....

When the Pels are 9th in the West at the trade deadline and Salmons gets packaged with other assets for Wilson Chandler or Jeff Green and the only reason the trade works is the amount the Salmons salary is above the league minimum and the reason we make the playoffs is the trade, I would hope some of you guys would write a personal heartfelt letter to Dell Demps apologizing.

have i missed something, Did we get rid of Cass?????

Quote Originally Posted by i am cow lolz View Post
    Pretty sure AD's net rating has been negative the last 2 years too. He must be terrible too....
    +9 and +15 respectively, and using those two players in the same sentence is so absurd I literally don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    have i missed something, Did we get rid of Cass?????
    Reported that we waived him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Reported that we waived him.
    And we signed John Salmons instead..? i hate them both, but i would probably prefer Casspi than salmons.

There has to be another move.

And hey, I'm generally a Dell fan. I think the Asik move, especially holding onto Ryan Anderson, is really terrific and will make this team better and is better than anything else we could have realistically added in FA. And I hope Salmons has an expected late-career renaissance. My standards aren't high, I want a guy who can shoot .400 from the floor and play non-embarrassing defense. I think I'm justified to not be excited that we spent our one legitimate chance to improve a position that will require minutes on this guy.

+9 and +15 respectively, and using those two players in the same sentence is so absurd I literally don't know what to tell you.
    I thought you were talking about +/-.

And hey, I'm generally a Dell fan. I think the Asik move, especially holding onto Ryan Anderson, is really terrific and will make this team better and is better than anything else we could have realistically added in FA. And I hope Salmons has an expected late-career renaissance. My standards aren't high, I want a guy who can shoot .400 from the floor and play non-embarrassing defense. I think I'm justified to not be excited that we spent our one legitimate chance to improve a position that will require minutes on this guy.
    What "Legitimate" chance did we have to solve the SF position with 2.7 million dollars? Some of you people are really ridiculous.

No, net (or simple) rating. Offensive rating - defensive rating. I hate raw plus minus. Just playing on a bad team will give you a generally bad plus minus, especially if you play heavy minutes for that team, which doesn't mean much. I find net rating is more sensitive to good players on bad teams.

We waived casspi? I'd also take him over salmon any day. He had some bright moments in houston

Quote Originally Posted by itsADstime View Post
    What "Legitimate" chance did we have to solve the SF position with 2.7 million dollars? Some of you people are really ridiculous.
    There was not a long-term solution to be had, I agree with that, You'll note I didn't use the word 'solve', you did. Unless we got a young reclamation project and got obscenely lucky. But throw out any name that had been thrown around in the last couple days (CDR, Richard Jefferson who signed into the minimum, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Hamilton, man, Darius Miller, some Dleague guy or someone from Europe, literally anyone who doesn't combine .36 from the field with terrible defense and poor athleticism which is just getting worse). I'm not being ridiculous. I expected nothing good from what we signed for this position. We got worse than that, IMO.

Salmons is this year's Steamer

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Heard from a very reliable guy I know that we offered Alan Anderson the same deal we offered Salmons. Anderson (who I would have preferred) declined our offer in favor of Brooklyn, so we went with Salmons. So, from what I gather, he was our second choice, but he is still a guy that we wanted.

Salmons is a guy who can shoot the rock, and like MM said, he is a vet who won't screw up his role. Good stop-gap for us at SF.
    how reliable is Your guy?

if this is true - AA turned 2 mln for 1,27m and 1,3 m (2 nd year being PO) from Nets

there is not so big difference annualy IMO - after a year he will opt out and go for much money

probably he wanted to stay in the place which he knows, where is the atmosphere or something. maybe he likes Mother Russia, maybe he -might - receive something from Mikhail. Maybe

but maybe he was offered only a place from bench (like probably Salmons) which he doesn't like - cause he wanted more

to many maybe's/if's

but 4 sure everybody would have been happy if AA will be the man - not JSalmons
    but sometimes You have to move to the plan B,C etc (like last year when Webster was the main target)

I am ok with Salmons, but think that Dell has not finished
    my guess is that Rush will show up also for us tomorrow(he will be available for minimum, like D. Miller - while picking his option before 30th June will cost us little more probably) ; but IMO we have to many centers and there is a need for big in the league. we have also Rivers, Babbitt. So there is room for something...

In Dell we trust

There was not a long-term solution to be had, I agree with that, You'll note I didn't use the word 'solve', you did. Unless we got a young reclamation project and got obscenely lucky. But throw out any name that had been thrown around in the last couple days (CDR, Richard Jefferson who signed into the minimum, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Hamilton, man, Darius Miller, some Dleague guy or someone from Europe, literally anyone who doesn't combine .36 from the field with terrible defense and poor athleticism which is just getting worse). I'm not being ridiculous. I expected nothing good from what we signed for this position. We got worse than that, IMO.
    Bingo. This is a horrendous signing in an otherwise good offseason. This seasons Greg Steimsma. Only worse. Because unlike Steimsma who was never expected to get big minutes Salmons is likely going to get heavy minutes unless we roll Tyreke into the 3 which Monty is opposed to and believes he can't excel there. To which I agree.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    You guys are overreacting big time.

I'm not a big fan of Salmons either but he is a good shooter. I say as long as he can average 7-10 ppg, can shot the 3 around 40%, play decent team defense, and most important don't do to much... I'm good. But I woulda have rather Wesley Johnson or Jordan Hamilton personally.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    Salmons is this year's Steamer
    Only if there's any way he winds up starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Only if there's any way he winds up starting.
    As of right now I am functioning under the assumption he IS starting.
    I don't see Monty starting Reke so that leaves... Steamer 2.0 . (again this is right NOW.. which is all that exist right?)

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    No doubt.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Its a horrible move. We were already just treading water to get into the playoffs with a tough Western conference. And we signed a guy that literally is a horrible fit for our starting lineup. Poor athleticism, mediocre shooting, bad defense and a ever regressing overall game.

What we needed was someone that if nothing else could spread the floor and allow Tyreke to play to his strengths. What we got was none of that. And we overpaid at that. I am sad to say that I am literally hoping that Luke Babbitt will start for us because if Salmons does I have low hopes for our season. Knowing our coach Salmons will be getting 20 minutes a game and unearned trust from day one. Its a sour note toward the end of our FA in an otherwise good offseason.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-14-2014 at 08:51 PM.

So is Dell finished or does anybody think he has a trade left in him?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Hope you guys are right. I believe the minutes that we get from this guy, which will be significant (~20, maybe more) will place us at a disadvantage when he's on the court both offensively and defensively. I think it's too soon to say if anyone is overreacting. If he's as bad as Stiemsma, I'm probably underreacting.

Thread Information