Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20

Thread: Salmons to pels

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    i hope we got this guy to trade
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I am warming up to this signing after a look at his assists. As others mentioned he will be good at just not messing anything up. Hit the quick three in transition or he can defer to Ryno across the way. Passing is a pretty key attribute when you have the offensive firepower we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We don't need our 3 to rack up assists. Our starting lineup will have Holiday, either Evans or Gordon, and heck even Davis can pass. We need our starting 3 stretch the floor, hit open 3s and not be completely lost on defense.

If this signing was strictly for depth and Salmons comes off the bench I have 0 problems with that, but as a person who will start the games with real starting caliber SFs, I don't like it.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We don't need our 3 to rack up assists. Our starting lineup will have Holiday, either Evans or Gordon, and heck even Davis can pass. We need our starting 3 stretch the floor, hit open 3s and not be completely lost on defense.

If this signing was strictly for depth and Salmons comes off the bench I have 0 problems with that, but as a person who will start the games with real starting caliber SFs, I don't like it.
    I think his comments about assist was only used to justify his position that he thinks Salmons is a willing passer.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I think his comments about assist was only used to justify his position that he thinks Salmons is a willing passer.
    Exactly. Swing-swing-swing-shot.

Last guy to swing gets the assist.
    @mcnamara247

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I've been watching some of Salmons defensively to form my own opinions on him, and he's a lot better than I thought he would be. I actually like the activity he showed against ball screens. Toronto didn't hide him defensively either, they had him defending very good offensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I've been watching some of Salmons defensively to form my own opinions on him, and he's a lot better than I thought he would be. I actually like the activity he showed against ball screens. Toronto didn't hide him defensively either, they had him defending very good offensive players.
    I agree with this assessment. He doesn't take plays off, and while he has lost foot speed, he plays solid team defense.

He will pick up the system from day one and do whatever is asked of him.

Now let's bring in another one like him for the minimum and I'll be a okay! Maybe Josh Howard, Darius Miller, or another young SL guy will do the trick. I would really like to bring in Jordan Hamilton if still available. Next offseason is when we need to get our main piece at the 3 anyway. The market for small forward this offseason was horrible and having Eric Gordon's hindering contract doesn't help. Now hopefully Gordon has a great "contract" year per se and opts out. Then we can sign a Jeff Green, Wilson Chandler, or my dream Kawhi Leonard next offseason to fill the void.

Another thing I noticed while watching film of his play with the Kings is that he and Tyreke had perfect chemistry together on the court. Whenever Evans drove, Salmons was always in the perfect spot to receive a kick out 3. It's clear that Dell preferred basketball IQ over a young guy who had a bit more potential, and I support the move after watching the playoffs this year. Basketball IQ is one of the most important skills in today's NBA game, and I'm glad that Dell sees that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I wouldn't. I would rather give Babbitt or Miller time at SF. I just think he limits things so much on the offensive end, and I would rather move on from that.
    Now Darius Miller as an emergency stop-gap defensive SF makes me happy(er), happy(er), happy(er)...I hated when LBJ did the cigarette lighter thing on his hand to us...I could see it more likely happening again without a SF with comparable size.

I wasn't sure about Salmons when we signed him, but after listening to the BSS Podcast this week, I'm on board. Sounds like a real solid guy. Great work ethic, and should be a good veteran presence on this team. I hope he embraces this role.

Banned
    He used to be able to guard a few positions. Don't know if he still can.

His addition has worked out well for me on 2K.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I feel that Salmons and Fredette are two additions you better not sleep on.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I feel that Salmons and Fredette are two additions you better not sleep on.....
    Yeah I really like them both. They both seem really down to earth and considerate people.
    Salmons was someone I really liked when he was playing for the Bucks and always hoped he would get here.
    To bad it's in his twilight years.
    I think he will be a valuable addition anyhow.

As Monty told:
    he knows Salmons since he was a rookie. He was trying to acquire him to NO earlier but his contract was an obstacle.

so not only vetaran presence, but Monty knows the guy much. looks like Monty's wish

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    As Monty told:
    he knows Salmons since he was a rookie. He was trying to acquire him to NO earlier but his contract was an obstacle.

so not only vetaran presence, but Monty knows the guy much. looks like Monty's wish
    That wouldn't scare me so much if Monty also wasn't a fan of Willie Green, Lance "no chance" Thomas, and Roger Mason.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    That wouldn't scare me so much if Monty also wasn't a fan of Willie Green, Lance "no chance" Thomas, and Roger Mason.
    Yeah, I think I would rather wait to see him on the court before proclaiming him a great find. It has been a while since he was relevant and will soon be 35. He could be a decent role player, but we'll have to see.

Thread Information