Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why rivers is not a bust yet

Quote Originally Posted by TheDawg26 View Post
    He also has to lay off the stupid!
    Aminu has higher shootong percentages than Evans. Aminu needs to improve his handle to use his physical skills to drive to the basket. He is the one player that needs to learn from Evans

Rivers needs strength. He can't score after any contact

Like most people on this team...
    Like most people on this forum...

He need on thing:
    Eric Gordon must leave.

EJ leaving wont make Rivers better..
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Show me examples of good NBA guards that had worse rookie and sophomore seasons than Austin Rivers. He's a bust. Russ Smith will probably get more minutes than Rivers this year. His minutes will become next to nothing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Show me examples of good NBA guards that had worse rookie and sophomore seasons than Austin Rivers. He's a bust. Russ Smith will probably get more minutes than Rivers this year. His minutes will become next to nothing this season.
    Jamal crawford had a horrid rookie year, and his soph was pretty much pointless because he played some 21-23 games, i can't remember precisely. The people over at bss had written an article about this matter but i won't waste time finding it again to have a troll ignore it, sorry

Rivers is not even a man yet. Rivers showed great improvement in many key areas last year; defense, awareness, and spot-up shooting just to name a few.

To write off a 21 year old kid, who was switched to a new position, who is a hard worker and showed improvement from year to year, and is coachable.... is ignorant. No other way to state that other than directly.

Rivers will be a solid pro for many years. He has the size, athleticism, skill level, and work ethic to make it. Don't get spoiled by AD, how many other 21 year olds are already quality NBA players?

Don't you think some of you are being a bit short-sighted.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Not even close to true. None of that.

Austin is my dude, I still have a lot of faith in him.

Got any others? He's a bust. You guys keep falling in love with bad players and wanting to trade solid players for garbage and thinking that's going to get this team to the playoffs. Sorry but BSS isn't gospel to me, maybe to you!

Just glad Dell Demps thinks differently!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Jamal crawford had a horrid rookie year, and his soph was pretty much pointless because he played some 21-23 games, i can't remember precisely. The people over at bss had written an article about this matter but i won't waste time finding it again to have a troll ignore it, sorry

The Franchise
    I agree he's not a finished product. Let him learn from Jrue and Reke. He'll be great off the bench and spot starter at both guard spots. The other thing is some players look scared to shoot cause Monty will bench them. I'd bet if mony let them play a little looser Miller and Rivers would seem a lot better.

Quality NBA Players at 21:
    Harden, Beal, K. Thompson, Rubio, Leonard, Cousins, K. Walker, Holiday, Wall, Ibaka, Derozan, George, MC Williams.

want more?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Rivers is not even a man yet. Rivers showed great improvement in many key areas last year; defense, awareness, and spot-up shooting just to name a few.

To write off a 21 year old kid, who was switched to a new position, who is a hard worker and showed improvement from year to year, and is coachable.... is ignorant. No other way to state that other than directly.

Rivers will be a solid pro for many years. He has the size, athleticism, skill level, and work ethic to make it. Don't get spoiled by AD, how many other 21 year olds are already quality NBA players?

Don't you think some of you are being a bit short-sighted.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quality NBA Players at 21:
    Harden, Beal, K. Thompson, Rubio, Leonard, Cousins, K. Walker, Holiday, Wall, Ibaka, Derozan, George, MC Williams.

want more?
    So those guys are better than him? What's your point. Those are very good NBA players, many of them are all stars no one said Rivers will be a superstar or even an All Star.

I'll take that bet. No way Russ plays more unless injury takes rivers out.

How many all stars/super stars on that list. That list is mostly quality nba players. Something Rivers isn't close to being.

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    So those guys are better than him? What's your point. Those are very good NBA players, many of them are all stars no one said Rivers will be a superstar or even an All Star.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Rivers could score 15-17ppg in this league. He will get better. Demps is glad to keep him. It's reasonable to believe he will improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the best we can say about Rivers right now is he isn't a bust yet.

He is still a tweener guard, meaning he has some PG skills and some SG skills but not enough of either to be more than 2nd team player. Further, on the 2nd team he will never be more than 3rd, 4th, or 5th option scorer. With our team this year, it's hard to see Rivers averaging more than 12 minutes/game barring an injury or a lot of blowout games.

Main Strengths:
    Ball Handling, Spot up 3 point shooting, Defense on the right kind of player (not too quick or too physical)

Main Weaknesses:
    Finishing at the rim, left hand finishes (non existent), mid range shot, rebounding (1/10 minutes)

Rivers has to show something this year besides potential.

How many all stars/super stars on that list. That list is mostly quality nba players. Something Rivers isn't close to being.
    Man you are a horrible troll, on that list you named most of the best young players in the game. Rivers not being on there level does not make him a bust.

Ooh dream weaver
    I believe you can get me through the night
    Ooh dream weaver
    I believe we can reach the morning light
    Fly me high through the starry skies
    Maybe to an astral plane
    Cross the highways of fantasy
    Help me to forget today's pain

This is hilarious, this bum 15 to 17. He's only going to get 8 minutes per game this season.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Rivers could score 15-17ppg in this league. He will get better. Demps is glad to keep him. It's reasonable to believe he will improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Man you are a horrible troll, on that list you named most of the best young players in the game. Rivers not being on there level does not make him a bust.
    He genius, read the question. How many other 21 year olds are quality NBA players??????? ALOT!!!!! Signed Proudest Troll of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    He genius, read the question. How many other 21 year olds are quality NBA players??????? ALOT!!!!!

He genius, read the question. How many other 21 year olds are quality NBA players??????? ALOT!!!!!
    Dude, give it up. In 3 to 4 more years when the game slows down for Rivers, you're gonna eat your words. When Rivers grows up he'll be a beast in this league. He's elite at getting in the lane and shooting the ball over the backboard. He's the Kobe stopper. Didn't you see that one game? He's totally awesome at one shot on the court (corner three) and don't forget once we ship Gordon outta here, Rivers' game will take another big leap. You just wait and see. He went from having the worst rookie season of all time to a mediocre sophomore effort. You can't discount that improvement. NoLa007, get on the Rivers train or I don't know what to tell you. Metrics and eye test matter not. This guy transcends all of that.

Sincerely,

President of the Austin Rivers Fan Club
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 07-15-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    Show me examples of good NBA guards that had worse rookie and sophomore seasons than Austin Rivers. He's a bust.
    goran dragic
    gerald wallace
    steve nash
    darrell armstrong
    joe johnson
    rafer alston
    aaron brooks
    pj tucker
    jon barry
    dale ellis
    detlef schrempf
    doug christie
    sam cassell
    monta ellis
    michael redd
    chauncey billups

zach randoplh
    tracy mcgrady
    ben wallace
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Please refer to the Starting 5 thread where I threw out the crazy idea of developing players.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Pretty much all those guys are fringe all star players or better other than Rubio.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    goran dragic
    gerald wallace
    steve nash
    darrell armstrong
    joe johnson
    rafer alston
    aaron brooks
    pj tucker
    jon barry
    dale ellis
    detlef schrempf
    doug christie
    sam cassell
    monta ellis
    michael redd
    chauncey billups

zach randoplh
    tracy mcgrady
    ben wallace
    Great list and Goran is very comparable to Austin skillwise and his size also.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Thread Information