Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why rivers is not a bust yet

Why rivers is not a bust yet

He is two years younger than russ smith and not even 23 yet he improves year after year while getting less minutes every year

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Why rivers is not a bust yet

Quote Originally Posted by K4dwin View Post
    He is two years younger than russ smith and not even 23 yet he improves year after year while getting less minutes every year
    I agree with you. Rarely do 19 year olds come into the NBA and have a great rookie year. Superstars can but it's just not that common.

Rivers will be so much more effective if he focuses on being a better player without the ball. If he can improve his shooting and free throw percentage he would probably average 11-12ppg. He needs to learn to get open and catch and shoot. More like morrow or Gordon. I haven't given up on him. He's got Doc Rivers DNA. He will likely mature and score more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pelicanchamp; 07-14-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: error

If you're going to start a new thread, it would be nice if you put a little more effort into the OP.
    But I agree Rivers isn't a bust. He improved across the board last year, still young (will be 22 in august), and Monty said give him 2-3 years. I don't know why people expected him to come into the league and have an immediate impact when our own coach told us he will need time. I'm still very high on Austin and believe he will be a star in this league.

It had to do with all the hype he had in highschool probably and the duke buzzer beater

I love this thread, Rivers is not a bust YET! Sure he was horrible in his first year, but he got better his second year, just maybe if they keep throwing money at him by year 4 he just might be decent if he could only get some PT but probably won't on this team.. Sadly though I think he will become a bust!

Is that what this thread is trying to say?
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

I agree with the premise. 2 years is way too soon to be putting labels on players.

However not sure how he improved year after year when he's only been in the league two years.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I agree with the premise. 2 years is way too soon to be putting labels on players.

However not sure how he improved year after year when he's only been in the league two years.
    Exactly what I was saying to myself about that statement lol..

TBF he did just say year after year that's only 2!

haha i was thinking the same, but i think he vastly improved in every single aspect of his game, which is a fantastic sign, if he can do that again he will be a good role player for us and eventual starter when AD is in his prime, if he can give us the same output as tyreke we could use tyreke's cap money on a top notch player. I for one am a Rivers fan.

his two years away, from being 2 years away

i'm glad we seem to be holding onto him
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    haha i was thinking the same, but i think he vastly improved in every single aspect of his game, which is a fantastic sign, if he can do that again he will be a good role player for us and eventual starter when AD is in his prime, if he can give us the same output as tyreke we could use tyreke's cap money on a top notch player. I for one am a Rivers fan.
    Considering Dell considered stretching him...I doubt Dell values him like you do....

so he's not a bust because

1) he's young
    2) he can't possibly play worse than he has
    3) because he's played so poorly he will play less

sound argument there

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Considering Dell considered stretching him...I doubt Dell values him like you do....
    All this means is that he valued Asik more than Rivers. That doesn't mean he doesn't value him. It was mandatory they get Asik and explored every possible option to make that trade go down. In the end, he found another way. But even if he would have waived him, it would have only been because he valued Asik over Rivers. No more, no less.
    @mcnamara247

I think we all value Asik more, good move to keep AR right now and let him grow. 2012 draft turned into a so so class unfortunately except top handful. 2013 not much better. Validates why dell trades out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I agree with you. Rarely do 19 year olds come into the NBA and have a great rookie year. Superstars can but it's just not that common.

Rivers will be so much more effective if he focuses on being a better player without the ball. If he can improve his shooting and free throw percentage he would probably average 11-12ppg. He needs to learn to get open and catch and shoot. More like morrow or Gordon. I haven't given up on him. He's got Doc Rivers DNA. He will likely mature and score more.

So uh. Rivers lead the team in spot up 3pt shooting %. Ahead of Gordon, Morrow, Ryno, or anyone else.

as long as he just improves/puts on some weight each summer he'll be fine. still younger than a good number of guys who just got drafted this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    All this means is that he valued Asik more than Rivers. That doesn't mean he doesn't value him. It was mandatory they get Asik and explored every possible option to make that trade go down. In the end, he found another way. But even if he would have waived him, it would have only been because he valued Asik over Rivers. No more, no less.
    I see your point, but considering this year is so crucial for Dell and Monty. I don't think they fully trust Rivers if Jrue should miss any time..( God forbid ) but it could happen. So, the Jameer Nelson rumor makes sense and gives credence to the argument that they're not all in on Rivers....IMO

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    No skill is easier to improve than shooting. Rivers needs to improve shooting and learn how to play well without the ball in his hands. There are a lot of players in the NBA who have made significant improvement in their 3rd year.

There are a lot of naysayers on this forum. everyone has their opinion on here but some find it easier to criticize fellow members instead of meaningfully contributing to the conversation. It's almost like a person who just loves the sound of his own voice.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I see your point, but considering this year is so crucial for Dell and Monty. I don't think they fully trust Rivers if Jrue should miss any time..( God forbid ) but it could happen. So, the Jameer Nelson rumor makes sense and gives credence to the argument that they're not all in on Rivers....IMO
    I agree somewhat. If Jrue goes down, I don't think Rivers is the starting PG. I think they move Tyreke into that spot. Let's hope we don't have to find out though!

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    No skill is easier to improve than shooting.
    Tell that to Aminu

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Tell that to Aminu
    He also has to lay off the stupid!

Aminu often went full retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So uh. Rivers lead the team in spot up 3pt shooting %. Ahead of Gordon, Morrow, Ryno, or anyone else.
    I was thinking the same thing... At the end of the season, it seemed like he was regularly hitting transition spot-up threes.

He plays solid defense.. has probably the best handles on the team.. His biggest flaw to me is his penchant for that floater rather than a pull up jumper at the elbow.

Now that I've said that, I'm ready for my advanced-stats-slap-on-the-wrist to prove how terrible he was

He was an elite spot up shooter (on a small sample size), but he was one of the worst mid-range shooting guards in the league. Made 5 off the dribble all year. FIVE. 3 of them came in the last two games though.

He has a long way to go when it comes to all around shooting

Thread Information