Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Asik + Casspi heading our way

I actual thought Casspi was a good fit. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It doesn't. Him being included just makes it harder. If he is in the trade, it is because we want him and want to guarantee his contract.

My guess is that Babbitt and Hopson will be added from our end. We basically chose Casspi over Babbitt, which makes some sense.
    Interesting that he's now being waived. Can't wait to see the final deal.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Casspi was a scrub anyway. I'm glad he's not gonna be on our team.

In Dell I trust. If casspi ggets waived there must be a plan.

I will wait instead of my initial reaction which is throwing my phone

yeah im in patience mode...he's gotten this far, why would he stop now....
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Aminu is coming home

Quote Originally Posted by dmmlsu View Post
    Aminu is coming home
    Don't you speak that evil. I just broke my hand knocking on wood.

Why was casspi included in the trade if we are just going to waive him?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pelican Fan View Post
    Why was casspi included in the trade if we are just going to waive him?
    good question, MM GIVE US ANSWERS!!!

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Are we forgetting about the regular season contract extension deadline? If Asik comes out like gangbusters and shows himself to be a great fit, we have until late October-early november to extend him before free agency. So we have more control over Asik than people give us credit for.

ETA: Did quick search on CBA FAQ...Asik's veteran contract can be extended at any time prior to summer FA of 2015. Even better. Correct me if I am still wrong.

Worst case scenario: Asik's not ideal over the duration of the season. Now we have a nice expiring contract for more cap space and flexibility for the off season if we have access to someone who may be a better fit through FA or sign and trade.

That is an awesome worst case scenario, IMO. But I understand that views of this trade will depend on how effective you view the Pelicans total roster and how much an individual values an NBA draft pick. I think very highly of our roster and don't value 1st round draft picks that highly. What's funny about the draft pick critics is something MM and Schwan pointed out on a podcast: future picks are valued way higher than the players they become. Multiple teams have traded former 1st rounders of the past few years, yet they don't get the backlash that we have gotten, which is messed up.

I'd also say that just as anyone can be fearful of both losing Asik and the draft pick, you can be just as hopeful of both keeping Asik AND the pick.
    Last edited by djpaul89; 07-14-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Casspi was a scrub anyway. I'm glad he's not gonna be on our team.
    And you liked brian roberts right?

Mmmmmkay.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Yeah but realistically how much do you think his Bird rights will come into play? How much do you think we are going to offer Asik and how do you think that will come into play when it's time to re-sign Anderson?
    I think it only comes into play when considering how other teams have him ranked in FA order. Almost everyone will be going hard after Gasol.
    I think the most important part is the extra year we can offer Asik and what he thinks of playing here.
    The biggest issue he had with Houston was that he was promised the starting role, then benched when Howard signed. Perhaps front office loyalty will earn his trust if Dell does right by him. (of course combined with the money thing)

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    Are we forgetting about the regular season contract extension deadline? If Asik comes out like gangbusters and shows himself to be a great fit, we have until late October-early november to extend him before free agency. So we have more control over Asik than people give us credit for.
    Indeed. We can extend him if he/we like how he fits.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    good question, MM GIVE US ANSWERS!!!
    There could be a hundred reasons. Could be something Houston needed to do for roster considerations or maybe we got an unguaranteed deal thinking we might be able to flip it for something else or maybe we were interested but then talked to him and he wasn't interested. Who knows.

All I know is that I thought we all agree that is was pointless to look at any of Dell's moves in a vacuum and we have learned to trust him and let it all play out, then come back and see the picture as a whole. Are we not still doing that? Are we back to panicking and reading too much into things?
    @mcnamara247

There could be a hundred reasons. Could be something Houston needed to do for roster considerations or maybe we got an unguaranteed deal thinking we might be able to flip it for something else or maybe we were interested but then talked to him and he wasn't interested. Who knows.

All I know is that I thought we all agree that is was pointless to look at any of Dell's moves in a vacuum and we have learned to trust him and let it all play out, then come back and see the picture as a whole. Are we not still doing that? Are we back to panicking and reading too much into things?
    Pretty sure Dell is using Caspi's unguaranteed money along with room exception to get an even better SF.

I think I am actually happy with the news that he may be waived. I was concerned about his presence in the locker room and his upside on the court wasn't enough to see past it. I was concerned especially about how he would mesh with Ryno and Monty. I heard he was very outspoken in the locker room about politics. I just want someone who is focused on doing their job which is playing basketball. I have no problem with anything he may believe but, just like at my work, there is no place for sensitive discussions like Religion/politics/sexuality in the office a.k.a the locker room.
    Last edited by JrueDat; 07-14-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Pretty sure Dell is using Caspi's unguaranteed money along with room exception to get an even better SF.
    Can't work that way.

1. Casspi can't be traded with other players for two months

2. Players can't be combined with exceptions

Can't work that way.

2. Players can't be combined with exceptions
    If that's the case are they waiving him to combine his $1.3M with room?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Pretty sure you can't combine RLE with cap space....

No. It opens a roster spot. Doesn't really do anything else.

No. It opens a roster spot. Doesn't really do anything else.
    ok...........
    then why do it?

I am perplexed.

edit: Will it allow us to sign him for cheaper or something?

ok...........
    then why do it?

I am perplexed.

edit: Will it allow us to sign him for cheaper or something?
    I listed possible reasons above. Also, I asked why it matters since we trust Dell and realize his individual moves can't be understood in a vacuum - that you have to let them play out. Can we let it play out?

I listed possible reasons above. Also, I asked why it matters since we trust Dell and realize his individual moves can't be understood in a vacuum - that you have to let them play out. Can we let it play out?
    Of course we can't, jump the gun!

I don't buy into Casspi being a locker room issue or that he wouldn't want to be here. Just 1 week ago Tyreke retweeted him agreeing bros for life.

I don't see how he wouldn't want to play with Tyreke and I don't see how he's a locker room issue with Tyreke there helping him blend in. Having someone who knows and likes you from the beginning goes a long way with this unity.

Can't work that way.

Weren't we able to aggregate Gee because he was traded into cap space? What if the Casspi trade happened first and went into cap space?

Thread Information