Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Asik + Casspi heading our way

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Someone says we'll get a "trinket" from Washington and folks go straight for the juggler and assume its Porter LOL!

If we get another player at all it'll probably be another disposable contract.
    We aren't getting a "trinket" from Washington, whoever first reported that later said he was "mistaken" and the trade works as previously reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Bas View Post
    agree 100%, thing is that being Pro Israeli is can be not a very popular opinion in the eyes of many (apparently in the eyes of Dwight as well).

as far as Evans goes, he was pretty good with Casspi in Sacramento but had a major flaw that season...he would not pass the ball, ever. it was worse than Kobe at times. seeing as i didnt follow his game alot over the years, has he gotten over it?
    Especially in the eyes of the miss-informed. Perhaps all of his "political" talk is his attempt to correct some peoples miss-education about the Israeli - Palestinian situation.

Let's not drag this into politics please.

he may think/say what he thinks
    unless he is leaving 100% on the floor

especially when his contract is not guaranteed, so he might be used once more as a trade chip...
    or remain as a reserve SF (I am fine with both)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    ESPN's Mark Stein wrote that the Pels made the unpopular decision to release Steisma for Ely. What? A - even if Steamer was a difference maker it was what, 3 games left in the season? and B - everyone rejoiced that there would be no more of him. If he was so good then wouldn't he be signed already?

Pelton graded the trade giving us a C- the Wizards a B+ and the rockets an A-. What? So, I'm a critic of acquiring Asik but I know that it makes the team better. And it cost a protected first in a draft that looks worse than this one where where we gave up Saric when we figure to have a better record. Again, even as a critic of the trade what Dell did to get the trade to work without giving up Rivers or Anderson (one of my big gripes about it) which was pure mastery. The only real criticism that kind of makes sense is that we lost the MLE. The trade made sense for the Rockets at the time and I don't think you can grade them based on the free agents not choosing to go there. I'm okay with them getting a good grade from the trade because it worked well for them, but we didn't deserve a negative grade. And if anyone came out as a clear winner it was Washington. They just got a huge trade exception for a player they were going to let walk without taking anything back. What?

edit: oh and they criticised how losing Smith and Aminu was going to hurt our depth. I think most of us are on the same page that Aminu on the floor hurts the production of this team. Smith is a reasonable loss but he would be have been a 4th big on a very packed front line. Morrow is a bigger loss to me.
    You know, I was wondering about the "depth" comment when I read it last night. It cannot just be the actual players we are losing due to this. I think he must mean the forfeited draft choice and losing the MLE. That is the only way the depth comment makes any sense.

I find that a lot of national writers only discuss and think about the MLE and never discuss the Room exception. I wonder if some of them don't even know about it.

The funny thing about the MLE is that it often results in contracts teams regret and fans want to move just a year later - see guys like Jason Terry.

The Room Exception is a little more than half the size and can only be up to two years long. Far less likely to regret handing that out to somebody and in this new market, the caliber of player you get with each is not as big. I mean, the MLE can't get you Marvin Williams and I think there are some guys available for the Room that are close to his caliber.

With the hope of Gordon leaving and us hopefully going hard after a SF next summer, I would rather a 1 yr stop gap anyway than having some guy sitting on our cap for 5.5 million next summer that we are trying to unload for more space.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Let's not drag this into politics please.
    Sounds good.

just note that very early on in this discussion it was mentioned that one of the knocks on him was him voicing his political views and how it affects the locker room (allegedly)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The funny thing about the MLE is that it often results in contracts teams regret and fans want to move just a year later - see guys like Jason Terry.

The Room Exception is a little more than half the size and can only be up to two years long. Far less likely to regret handing that out to somebody and in this new market, the caliber of player you get with each is not as big. I mean, the MLE can't get you Marvin Williams and I think there are some guys available for the Room that are close to his caliber.

With the hope of Gordon leaving and us hopefully going hard after a SF next summer, I would rather a 1 yr stop gap anyway than having some guy sitting on our cap for 5.5 million next summer that we are trying to unload for more space.
    Dell is playing chess, not checkers. I think he realized that we didn't need the MLE this year because we will need the cap space next off season for a SF. That's why he cut salary to absorb Asik straight up, rather than going over the cap to make space for the MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    Sounds good.

just note that very early on in this discussion it was mentioned that one of the knocks on him was him voicing his political views and how it affects the locker room (allegedly)
    If i managed to play with a bunch of idiots who cried while celebrating the birthday and death of mussolini every year, i fervently hope that athletes paid millions can do the same. Heck, my best friend is a jew (even though not much of a sionist thankfully) and even if i've been pro palestine for as long as i remember, it's never been a problem. In the end, you don't have to like someone to play with him. It helps, but i can't see how a strictly-bench player's views can rub guys in the locker room the wrong way.

http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2014/7/...rade-completed

Sunday afternoon the rest of the pieces were set in motion. Houston declined to match the 3 year, $46 Million offer sheet Chandler Parsons signed with the Dallas Mavericks. From that point on the news was fast and furious. First Washington and Houston agreed to a sign-and-trade for Trevor Ariza. Suddenly David Aldridge was reporting a potential three team trade. The Charlotte Hornets announced that Scotty Hopkins (and his $1,450,878 unguaranteed contract) had been traded to the Pelicans for cash considerations. At the last minute Omri Casspi was headed to the Crescent City

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Dell is playing chess, not checkers. I think he realized that we didn't need the MLE this year because we will need the cap space next off season for a SF. That's why he cut salary to absorb Asik straight up, rather than going over the cap to make space for the MLE.
    that and imagine if we can get rid of gordon, BIG MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think Dell would have rather had the MLE than just the Room Exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    Especially in the eyes of the miss-informed. Perhaps all of his "political" talk is his attempt to correct some peoples miss-education about the Israeli - Palestinian situation.
    you...i like you guy

Do we know if there is an official announcement press conference today for this deal?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    So this means our 2nd string is:

Rivers
    Evans
    Casspi
    Anderson
    Withey

^This is a very nice 2nd string!

Trade grades by Paul Banks of the Washington Times and David Kay of The Sports Bank:

Rockets Grade: B
    Pelicans Grade: C+
    Wizards Grade: C

2014 NBA Free Agent Signing Grades

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    So this means our 2nd string is:

Rivers
    Evans
    Casspi
    Anderson
    Withey

^This is a very nice 2nd string!
    I would swap out Withey for Ajinca. Better fit because he can shoot (Tyreke) and grab defensive boards.

Quote Originally Posted by eballa1 View Post
    Trade grades by Paul Banks of the Washington Times and David Kay of The Sports Bank:

Rockets Grade: B
    Pelicans Grade: C+
    Wizards Grade: C

2014 NBA Free Agent Signing Grades
    Everybody says the same thing, "Asik could be a 1 year rental."

Well, Casspi "could be an alien who gets his magical powers bestowed upon him this August". Evaluate the trade as is. Are you going to change it if/when he re-signs? Would it have been a spectacular deal if he had two years on his contract and then left then?

I just hate that part of the analysis personally.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Indeed MM

This is great spacing for Tyreke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what we gave up, I don't see how this trade is anything less than a B. We gave up a 1st rounder, and that is essentially it (unless you thought Ely was going to be a major player, or that Hopson and Gee were more than cannon fodder. We gave up a 1st rounder that is sure to be a mid-teen early 20 pick, and got a "rental" (at worst) and a nice sf. These were our two biggest weakness' last season and we found a way to upgrade both of them to the point that there is little debate of if we will make the playoffs, but more, where will we be seeded in the playoffs.

All teams came out ahead, but I think we did more so than the other two teams because we got better, and made moves with an eye at the playoffs as opposed to an eye on our pocket books.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I just hate that part of the analysis personally.
    Actually, it is a huge part of the analysis of the trade though. Would you think it was a successful trade if he leaves after one year?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Actually, it is a huge part of the analysis of the trade though. Would you think it was a successful trade if he leaves after one year?
    No, but why assume it? And again, where is the line drawn? Is it worth trading a pick for 2 years of a guy? 3?

I mean, if they can assume Asik is gone, can I assume the Pels will make the playoffs the next 5 years and the Rockets will just eventually get a pair of 2nd rounders?

When do the assumptions end?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I don't really think him leaving is something that makes a difference with this trade. Had we not made this trade we would be looking at keeping next years picka and being in position to try to sign a starting center next offseason. This would be a priority for us. We would likely be our number 1 target because of the realistic possibility of him signing with us and not having a huge ballooned contract. With the trade happening we:

1) are still in position to pursue other starting centers next season if things don't work out
    2) have the upper hand in signing Asik if he ends up being a good fit.

I don't think the value of #2 can be stated enough, since we are in a small market where drawing big name centers in FA is not our strong suite. By free agency next year Asik will be aclimated to the city, know his role on the team, and hopefully see the talent on this roster first hand. Essentially I see this "1 year rental" as the pitch for next years much longer deal that we will eventually get Asik to sign. And really, if he doesn't sign a deal with us it means that he wouldn't have done it in FA anyways OR that things were a bad fit and we should be happy that he walked.

No, but why assume it?
    I think it's a natural assumption to make, we call expiring guys in trades rentals all the time. Unless you have the local view of the trade and know things like we've had interest for a while and he was likely a top target in 2015, why do you assume differently than you do for any other trade? It's just another "national coverage" mistake.

Thread Information