Pelicans Report

Thread: The new TV deal

The new TV deal

This is going to be short and sweet.

I believe Eric Gordon will not opt out due to the new TV deal. We're seeing Lebron, Stephenson etc take shorter deals do to this TV deal increasing BRI and thus making the max bigger. The new TV deal (say if were doubled) would also give teams more total cap room and give him more options.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Please explain what the new TV deal is? Links?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...TV-rights.aspx

It's hard to discuss because it's just starting to be negotiated, but many believe that it will be substantially bigger increasing the NBAs BRI.

Which isn't the end of the world. Cap should be astronomically higher when Gordon and Anderson are off the books and AD is due for his extension. We maybe looking at 20+ Million in cap left over after AD's max.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Which isn't the end of the world. Cap should be astronomically higher when Gordon and Anderson are off the books and AD is due for his extension. We maybe looking at 20+ Million in cap left over after AD's max.
    Yep, I agree; but I wanted to help everyone prepare mentally for 2 more seasons with Gordon

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I was sort of thinking the same thing. But if Eric Gordon can get a 3 yr deal at $30m next off season with player options, I still think he'll opt out. For a player with his injury history, guaranteed money rules the day.

If I was his adviser/agent I'd tell him:
    You take $5m less in 2015, to lock in $15m extra regardless of your health/performance. If you're performing well and the market for your services increases above your contract, you have opt outs available to take advantage.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I've never been in the camp that Gordon would opt out, just don't see it happening. Many are convinced he will. If he doesn't though, next year he is an expiring and would be a nice trade asset. Can't see him being here for 2 more full seasons.

Is the new TV deal an adjustment for inflation, or does it depend largely on the success of the league?

The regular season TV ratings are right back where they were when they hit record lows in 2007.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I've never been in the camp that Gordon would opt out, just don't see it happening. Many are convinced he will. If he doesn't though, next year he is an expiring and would be a nice trade asset. Can't see him being here for 2 more full seasons.
    Expiring contracts don't have the same value they used to. Boozer just got amnestied because no one wanted his expiring. Knicks and Lakers can't even give away Amare and Nash.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Expiring contracts don't have the same value they used to. Boozer just got amnestied because no one wanted his expiring. Knicks and Lakers can't even give away Amare and Nash.
    How often are expiring contracts traded before the season starts compared to at the deadline or in the new year? It's night and day difference. Please don't bring up Amare though, no one will trade for that, and it's not just because he's an expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Amare has an uninsurable contract; that's why he can't be. Nash is pretty much debilitated with his back; I know hyperbole is the way of the land on PR, but Gordon isn't near those levels.

It comes down to his performance. He has to play well and stay healthy. If he does those two things I think there's a good chance he opts out. Unfortunately I have little faith he'll do either let alone both. I just don't see how he can put up the necessary numbers if Holiday and Evans are healthy this year. Just not enough touches how Gordon will need to blow other teams away to justify overlooking the injury concerns.

Thread Information