Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting Five for 2014-15 (so far)

Pelicans Starting Five for 2014-15 (so far)

First off, I have just stumbled across this site after posting on the tigerdroppings pelicans page for a while now, and this is my first post. Many will ignore entirely, but alas, we all have to start somewhere...

Bleacher report (gagging noises) has released their projected starting fives for next season after free agency thus far. The writer calls for a lineup of Holliday, Gordon, Evans, Davis, and Asik to start the season, with anderson in the "sixth man" role...

How many of you would like to see this lineup? Evans was undoubtedly better as a starter, but with so many ball handlers and a lack of perimeter shooting, floor spacing...etc... How well would this starting five stack up against the rest of the west? a lot of people have gone on and on about the evans and ryno combo being so effective, i would rather see evans coming in off the bench and leading a dominate second unit featuring evans, ryno, russ smith, and maybe austin rivers getting some valuable minutes.... We still need this "seventh man" and i'm not very sold on the idea of jogn salmons being it, heres hoping we can order all of our transactions correctly so we can go after a guy like wesley johnson from the lakers, or just save the room for next offseason with so many small forward set to be available...

Discuss...

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    First Rivers will play over Russ Smith, but I'd like Tyreke to come off the bench and play with Ryan. I do have a feeling Tyreke will start at SF though. I won't be mad if Tyreke starts, but I hope he gets a ton of minutes with Ryan.

the more i hear is that russ smith is going to be this years brian roberts, a lot of time will tell the story of course, i just dont know why you trade for the guy and sign him so quickly if you did not have legitimate plans for this guy getting major minutes...

My lineup is the same. Jurevis and Gordon are above average 3-point shooters, and AD can space the floor also. If Tyreke can't handle the opposing 3, slide Gordon to the bench, Evans to the 2, and bring in Miller or some other SF to play D and spot up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    To develop him patiently?

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post

When in "win now" mode??? Im just not so sure the term "patient" is in the pelicans plans here....He was a multiple all- american and national champion. Not sure if he needs that much time. Pelicans might be thinking the same thing...

This may get me blasted, but there aren't any better SF prospects around than DeQuan Jones. To think that this kid's stats suggest he can shoot too

Monty will get him minutes over Salmons in many instances

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ma...-07361509.html

in 49 games played in the D league last year, he led all SF's shooting 511% from the floor; and was 7th, with 406% on three's

this 6'8" 24 year old came to the right team. people are crazy to think he isn't going to beat these dudes out
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 07-15-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post

When in "win now" mode??? Im just not so sure the term "patient" is in the pelicans plans here....He was a multiple all- american and national champion. Not sure if he needs that much time. Pelicans might be thinking the same thing...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans25_ZERO View Post
    I know it's an eccentric idea, but maybe some players aren't naturally God's gift to the NBA and need some time.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    It really {edited - language} when people say the "win now" mode thing. Yes we're trying to win and make the playoffs, but we know we aren't winning a championship. Our best player is 21, and our core players are all 24 and 25.... This core is supposed to grow together, that's why we target young veterans unlike a team like the Nets. And if we are in win now mode, giving solid minutes to a rookie is not the way to do that.

We like Russ long term and think he can contribute in the future. We definitely do want to make the playoffs this year though and Austin Rivers is a much better player right now and gives us a much better chance to win. I'm sure Russ will not get many important minutes this year.

By mid-season this team will be starting either Fells of Jones at SF if no one else is signed.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    the more i hear is that russ smith is going to be this years brian roberts, a lot of time will tell the story of course, i just dont know why you trade for the guy and sign him so quickly if you did not have legitimate plans for this guy getting major minutes...
    Maybe because we have plans for him long term? Is this the last season of the NBA?

No, I think either Gordon or Evans is the odd man out of the starting lineup. Especially if we are playing a team with a legitimate 3.

Austin rivers is not a point guard and will not be one any time soon. I'm not a fortune teller, but when eric gordon is finally gone, who do you think is going to step into that starting shooting guard spot if tyreke is at the 3? It's rivers... If you asked me today who will play more backup point guard this upcoming year, i wouldnt respond rivers at the very least.. And depending on how he progresses through camp, the job very well could be smiths. Regardless of how more along rivers is, hes is NOT a PG... And you know it...

Why don't we start talking about finishing lineups instead of starting lineups? MM says this practically every podcast. Why talk about whether or not we may see John Salmons, Darius Miller, or Courtney Fells start while only playing 15-20 minutes a game as opposed to talking about the guys who are getting the most minutes each game?

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Austin rivers is not a point guard and will not be one any time soon. I'm not a fortune teller, but when eric gordon is finally gone, who do you think is going to step into that starting shooting guard spot if tyreke is at the 3? It's rivers... If you asked me today who will play more backup point guard this upcoming year, i wouldnt respond rivers at the very least.. And depending on how he progresses through camp, the job very well could be smiths. Regardless of how more along rivers is, hes is NOT a PG... And you know it...
    First when Gordon is gone, Tyreke will start at the 2. It's more about skillset though than positions... Tyreke handles the ball and Rivers is a very good spot up shooter, so I think they fit together well and will probably play a lot together for the second unit. Smith and Tyreke could work I'm sure, but Rivers is a much better fit with Tyreke. Whether Tyreke is really the point guard or Austin is, if Tyreke doesn't start those two will be the backup backcourt and no matter what I believe Austin will be the back up point guard.

Not sure how long you've been a fan, but rookies rarely play under Monty. I'm actually a huge Russ fan and I think he has potential, but there's a lot of work to do be done. I guarantee unless there is a trade, Smith will not be the back up PG. Even if Rivers is traded we would go out and sign another back up PG. It ain't happenin

I think Gordon and Evans ball stop too much and that might be a problem with this team.

I see Jrue, Gordon, Evans, Davis, Asik

with Salmons coming in for Tyreke early in the first, allowing tyreke to start the second quarter with Ryan.

Let's not forget if you want spacing Gordon is our best shooter after Ryan, if he could play out of the corners more it would be awesome, and then come off curls.

Tyreke was in the corner a lot with the Jrue, Gordon, Evans lineups but he's not a threat as a shooter there.

Based on what I saw at the end of last season, I'm curious to see if they can play a three-guard line up with Asik and Davis on the backline. I could see Tyreke with the ball in his hands a lot in this line up as Holiday and Gordon can both spot up and shoot pretty well. Obviously, all three can also slash to the basket. These three played together in the final five last year (when healthy) and the defense suffered. But trading out Ryno for Asik should alter the defensive performance of this unit. Asik will not be on the floor much at crunch time due to his poor FT percentage, but as a starting five I hope they give it a look.

The other options at SF obviously all have some limitations, but we may not need much from the position. Salmons should still shoot at a decent clip from beyond the arc, as can Babbitt. Some indications from BSS folks that Darius will be resigned. I'm actually more bullish on him than some others. I was impressed by some of his defensive efforts late last year and he should be an effective spacer. He's been a subpar rebounder at the position thus far (as he was at Kentucky), but again that may be less important with Davis and Asik down low (Tyreke also boards pretty well). Would be cool for one of he summer league guys to develop, but that's hard to count on. That said the Spurs model has shown you can develop cheap talent to fill specific roles for a successful team (In general, I don't think the league focuses enough on developing talent--and I wish the Pels had their own D-League franchise--but that's a topic for another day). Next offseason when (fingers crossed) Gordon is off the books and the FA market is deep is the logical time to try and acquire a longterm starter at SF. We'll do it by committee this year and hope someone steps up to claim the position.

I got a big article coming out tomorrow morning projecting now only the starting 5, but Monty's entire game rotations. Looking forward to hearing your guys' feedback. But to spoil a part of it, I have the same starting five - Jrue-Gordon-Evans-AD-Asik
    @mcnamara247

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I got a big article coming out tomorrow morning projecting now only the starting 5, but Monty's entire game rotations. Looking forward to hearing your guys' feedback. But to spoil a part of it, I have the same starting five - Jrue-Gordon-Evans-AD-Asik
    Can't wait to see it

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Is it about what you think will happen or what you think should happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I almost never write what I think should happen. Pointless IMO. I am not trying to show up the team and have something to point to in order to say I am smarter than the decision makers. When I write an article like this, I look back on how Dell or Monty have acted in the past and project forward. This article is based off what Monty did with a healthy Pelicans team last year as far as his rotations and transferring that over to his new roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Why would those two things be different? I'm certain Monty reads all the amateur blog to guide him in determining the proper rotations, so naturally what we think should happen will happen. Trust me.....

Seriously, the 3-guard lineup gives us a great chance to see if Gordon is having one of his dynamite first halves, if Tyreke is making his layups, etc. If Monty is flexible about which player goes to the bench when Anderson comes in, then we can adapt to any lineup the other team might use. If they go big, sub Anderson for Gordon or Evans. If the go small, maybe Anderson for Asik. AD never gets to sit down unless he is injured, fouls out, or we are up by 20+ in the 4th......

If I had to project a 2 deep today:

Jrue-Gordon-Evans-AD-Asik
    Russ-Rivers-Salmons (or whoever stands out)-Ryno-Ajinca

HOWEVER. I think they stagger the guard rotations to only 4 deep, so that either Jrue, Gordon, or Evans is always on the court and Rivers is the 4th one. I don't think Russ touches the floor unless we have big injury issues. If one of the Jrue or Gordon goes down, Evans slides over and Salmons or whoever wins backup SF battle moves up.

In that situation they will still use a guard rotation and it will be The two non injured guards and Rivers and maybe a few minutes for Russ. If a Evans goes down then Salmons or whatever SF wins that battle moves up. I do not think Russ gets minutes if Evans goes down. Rivers will pickup the guard minutes and SF by committee. If Fells or Miller are on the team don't be surprised if we see them at a guard position if we need the depth. I think Miller will be our omg, last man up PG if need be.

Big rotation will be the big 3 eating every single minute. If one of them goes down depending who it is will change who comes up. If Ryno goes down Babbitt comes up and Ajinca takes the Asik rotation. If AD goes down Ryno will start and Ajinca / Babbitt will rotate in depending who else is on the court. If Asik goes down Ryno comes up and Ajinca takes the majority of C minutes (not all 30 though). As long as we don't lose 2 bigs at the same time I'm not worried at all. And even if we lose 2, as long as either AD or Ryno is still up I think we can hold on while they recover.

Thread Information