Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Asik + Casspi heading our way

Well then I will assume that we make the playoffs and never give a 1st rounder to Houston. Just as likely as Asik being gone after this year IMO.

So grade? A++++
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise    Contributor   

Any ideas what is holding up the official announcement? Or did I miss it?

True. Will these guys go back and re-grade this trade next year should he re-sign with us? No. Hell, Bill Simmons still looks at our Jrue trade like we got the back end of a dead donkey. These guys are looking at our end with not a glass half empty or glass half full mindset, but with the mindset that there is poison in the glass. We gave up a pick for a player who puts us (if for only a year) in a position to have a better year than before. In a day and age when 1st round picks are sold to make cap space, we made a move that not only benefits us temporarily, but doesn't hurt us in the future.

How do these people not see that we got the better end of the deal?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

No, he's garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Are y'all comfortable with Casspi being our Starter? Why? Cause he's all we have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot about how people grade this off season depends on what they thought the actual possibilities were. Considering what Dell Demps had to work with I am extremely pleased with this off season. After spending most of the spring attempting to talk myself into a Greg Monroe S&T losing Ryan Anderson (and other stuff like that 1st Round Pick, and cap space) to get Asik at a lower cost is great.

Then weigh what the Pelicans needed. They needed defense and rebounding. The front office valued having a center to protect Anthony Davis. Asik checks each box with a shotgun blast.

Dell Demps did really well building a team. Hopefully he does well with the Room Exception.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    No, but why assume it? And again, where is the line drawn? Is it worth trading a pick for 2 years of a guy? 3?

I mean, if they can assume Asik is gone, can I assume the Pels will make the playoffs the next 5 years and the Rockets will just eventually get a pair of 2nd rounders?

When do the assumptions end?
    Sure we could assume many things. Doesn't mean they are reasonable.

I think if you don't look at all the reasonable outcomes(positive or negative) when grading transactions you are doing yourself a great disservice. A realistic possibility is that Asik is gone after this upcoming seasons. Touching on the obvious isn't the same as assuming it will happen. It's due diligence and IMO a necessary thought exercise to arrive at a quality conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    No, but why assume it? And again, where is the line drawn? Is it worth trading a pick for 2 years of a guy? 3?
    I don't think it is assumed he will leave. I think it is a logical assumption that it is a risk that we only get one year out of him when he only has one year left on his contract. If he had 2-3 years, we would have the control over whether he leaves or not. We have no control over him leaving after one year as he would be unrestricted. I think that is what stops it from being an A or B+ currently (although I do not see how you grade trades anyway until the player actually plays with their new team).

Casspi is the only sf on our roster now, but we still hold the rights to Josh Howard and James Shoutherland (our SL guys) right? While Casspi isn't an all star, when you have the talent in your starting 5 that we do, you can slip a Rick Fox, Bill Wennington, or Desean Stevenson into your starting 5, and people wont notice.

I hope we can find an undrafted gem like wesley matthews was for the blazers who started as a rookie, kind of upset we didn't bring in CJ Fair, has he been playing for any summer league teams?

Another SF wont be hard to find.
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Another SF wont be hard to find.
    But a good one?

I would call the negative analysis of the Asik trade "Bill Simmons" analysis. There is just a segment of the NBA national talking head establishment that think that every team not named the Lakers, Celtics, Kicks, Bulls, and a few others ought never to do anything for the current year. They think that unless you are sure you are finals material, then you should always tank the current season in favor of future seasons. Of course, if you always tank the current year, then you'll never get better.

They seem to think that small market teams accidently improve (get lucky in the draft, sign a guy cheap that all of a sudden explodes into a great player)...that they should never actually attempt to do it. That's why they hated the Holiday trade. Thats why they hate the Asik trade. The Pels are not "doing what they are supposed to" which is tank when you can't reach the finals. They are actually trying to improve for this season. Whether it will work is another discussion, the point is they are trying.

Simmons is the most blatant example of this. Other than the bigs, the rest of the NBA he sees as playthings to work out crazy trade scenarios where you trade for better pieces to trade with, and you never ever sign anyone to a big deal and never ever acquire something in a trade that you can't use to trade with someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    But a good one?
    We dont need a "good" one, we need one that can shoot the three and defend a little. We arent looking for a superstar SF... or an all star. We just need 15-22 minutes out of this player.

would it have been tampering for demps to contact asik's agent prior to the trade to determine the likelihood of asik re-signing here?
    some players want to go thru free agency no matter what, others want stability, others want playing time, others want to be in a particular city, etc, etc...

surely demps didnt just trade for him blind?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Asik is staying in NOLA.

We can:
    pay him the most
    guarantee starting role
    guarantee he plays alongside Anthony Davis

Get over the "1 yr rental" talk.

Quote Originally Posted by cki3915 View Post
    I would call the negative analysis of the Asik trade "Bill Simmons" analysis. There is just a segment of the NBA national talking head establishment that think that every team not named the Lakers, Celtics, Kicks, Bulls, and a few others ought never to do anything for the current year. They think that unless you are sure you are finals material, then you should always tank the current season in favor of future seasons. Of course, if you always tank the current year, then you'll never get better.

They seem to think that small market teams accidently improve (get lucky in the draft, sign a guy cheap that all of a sudden explodes into a great player)...that they should never actually attempt to do it. That's why they hated the Holiday trade. Thats why they hate the Asik trade. The Pels are not "doing what they are supposed to" which is tank when you can't reach the finals. They are actually trying to improve for this season. Whether it will work is another discussion, the point is they are trying.

Simmons is the most blatant example of this. Other than the bigs, the rest of the NBA he sees as playthings to work out crazy trade scenarios where you trade for better pieces to trade with, and you never ever sign anyone to a big deal and never ever acquire something in a trade that you can't use to trade with someone else.
    Bill Simmons is someone I listen to to "get a laugh". These people are not the same people I take seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrand View Post
    would it have been tampering for demps to contact asik's agent prior to the trade to determine the likelihood of asik re-signing here?
    some players want to go thru free agency no matter what, others want stability, others want playing time, others want to be in a particular city, etc, etc...

surely demps didnt just trade for him blind?
    I don't know the business like MM or those others, but I thought before working out most trades both parties were aware of what they were getting into. Thinking about it, CP3 did it, Love is saying it now, players say if they will or wont resign with a team, so why this situation would be any different is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Casspi is the only sf on our roster now, but we still hold the rights to Josh Howard and James Shoutherland (our SL guys) right? While Casspi isn't an all star, when you have the talent in your starting 5 that we do, you can slip a Rick Fox, Bill Wennington, or Desean Stevenson into your starting 5, and people wont notice.
    I think Southerland is gone and I agree expecting us to have all stars at every starting position is unrealistic. We can get by with a marginal specialty player at the 3 and I suspect we aren't done upgrading this position.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Asik is staying in NOLA.

We can:
    pay him the most
    guarantee starting role
    guarantee he plays alongside Anthony Davis

Get over the "1 yr rental" talk.
    Other than playing alongside AD, the rest is not correct. Other teams can pay him just as much as us and other teams can offer him a starting position.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Other than playing alongside AD, the rest is not correct. Other teams can pay him just as much as us and other teams can offer him a starting position.
    But don't we have his bird rights, allowing us to sign him for more money/years than anyone else?

Also, who's going to beat him out to start at C?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Well because we own his Bird rights we can pay him more than any other team and offer an additional year. However that doesn't mean we will offer him the most. We already have 3 8 figure per year players, with Davis and Anderson due new contracts so not sure what we will offer Asik. Also if we are going to be closing games with Davis and Anderson will Asik be happy closing games on the bench.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Casspi's getting waived according to Stein.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    That's a little surprising, but at the same time maybe this means we have a trade set up where we can get a SF along with signing one for the RMLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    But don't we have his bird rights, allowing us to sign him for more money/years than anyone else?

Also, who's going to beat him out to start at C?
    Yeah but realistically how much do you think his Bird rights will come into play? How much do you think we are going to offer Asik and how do you think that will come into play when it's time to re-sign Anderson?

Thread Information