Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: disappointed Pelican fan

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Even if I grant the idea that Ariza signs here for the same deal, which I don't think he would have, how could we have given it to him? I guess we could have stretched Rivers or given a team some cash to take him. But then, you have the same issue, just with the C position - A huge gap there with just 2.7 mil to fill it.

It's not a terrible alternative, but I like this one better
    I don't see the huge gap at C that I see at SF. That's the difference. Like I said, outside of Ariza I don't see one other option that I'd prefer over Asik. This FA market is insanely stupid. I think the Asik trade was the 2nd best move we could have made. But I do think Ariza would have been better. Especially when you consider Asik will be getting a new contract. Ariza's 4yr reasonably priced deal is better long term and that was the difference between the two.

I don't see the huge gap at C that I see at SF
    We had a tremendous rebounding problem and our defense went to hell when we only had one rim protector in the game at a time. I'm not saying we don't need a SF too or even more, but they really were like a 1a/1b need. We also don't know how badly the bridge was burned with Ariza when he left here. He may have never been a realistic target.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'd rather have given Ariza 8m/yr for 4 years and kept our 1st than trade for Asik.

But that is because I think AD will be a C in 2 years.

Ariza is one of the very few players that I don't think was overpaid this FA. I can't think of another move I'd rather have made over the Asik trade.
    I am too wordy but this is generally how I feel as well (though I wasn't as big into Ariza). There are many reasons why this is the case that I'll explain later. To address MMs rebuttal to this, that's fine. You take the pay cut at C. You get a core who can play 36 minutes together and then fill around the edges from there. Instead we will likely be playing a Steimsma level player at SF while either Asik, Anderson, or Davis sits on the bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

That's cool, I respect the other side. Ariza and a 1st over Asik makes some sense. I don't think we could have gotten Ariza, but if possible, it is a legit argument. I just don't agree, but that is a good thing (disagreement) not a bad thing.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I thought we were all pretty resolved to the idea that we would only be able to address ether the small forward position or the center position this offseason, but not both.

I think we chose center because center is what was available and definite. If Dell knew he could get an equivalent talent to Asik at SF for the same cap hit, and keep his 2015 1st, I think he would have done it.

I had low expectations for this offseason, and they've been exceeded.

We went in this offseason with little money and came out with Asik, to me that's a win. Hopefully Asik's play will change the OP's mind as the season goes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Is it because we don't have a SF right now?

I will keep saying this until it sinks in - We don't have a 7th man right now. Don't matter who starts. Minutes matter. We are looking for a guy to get the 7th most minutes on this roster. Hence, a 7th man,

For 2.7 mil, I think we can find a solid 7th man.

7th man for 2.7 mil who gets 30 plus minutes a game?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Ok you guys. You've talked me into it. I'll do it. Let me find my sneakers and do some stretches. Let's do this. Uhh... I get paid up front right? Like... That's how it works?

Again, I do not think that will be accurate. He will not get more mins than any of the other 6 main guys. Monty tends to play 9 or 10 man rotations. Even if the main 6 get an avg of 33 each - that is 198. Add in River and at least one more rotation player, and you are up to 215-220.

I would bet that whoever fits that role is a 20-25 minute player. And yes, that is common for a 7th man.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Again, I do not think that will be accurate. He will not get more mins than any of the other 6 main guys. Monty tends to play 9 or 10 man rotations. Even if the main 6 get an avg of 33 each - that is 198. Add in River and at least one more rotation player, and you are up to 215-220.

I would bet that whoever fits that role is a 20-25 minute player. And yes, that is common for a 7th man.
    We'll see. I'm down to see what Junkhead can give us too.

LMAO.

Yeah, I can't see more than 25 mins unless/until the injuries hit. But, he is/will be our 7th most important player. I am not as stressed as others.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    5'9 of pure fury baby. Pure fury. 35 years old, and haven't stepped foot on a court in about 10 years. But I ain't worried about all dat. We got this man! I got... Spurtability or something!!

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    5'9 of pure fury baby. Pure fury. 35 years old, and haven't stepped foot on a court in about 10 years. But I ain't worried about all dat. We got this man! I got... Spurtability or something!!
    I hope you have extremely long arms to play SF!

As far as the discussion goes, just want to reiterate I think the Asik move is the 2nd best one we could have made this off-season.

MM asked a very specific about using hindsight which I would have preferred. If I can use my foresight and know that I can lock Ariza up for 8m/yr for 4 years going into this FA period, I would have preferred that.

However, I don't think anyone could predict that this FA period went the way it did with the money being thrown around.

Long term I prefer a starting SF on 8m/yr than Asik getting a Gortat level deal next year (but for shorter years). Not because I don't like Asik but because I think AD keeps putting on weight and becomes an absolute terror at the C.

At that point we might be able to flip Asik for a SF anyway. Keep in mind also that when MM had a Twitter and asked for people to rank this off-season based off of how we thought it would break I was one of the few who rated it an A. Asik is a great get. If we are able to get him to resign for under 10M/yr I would flip out because that's a great frontcourt for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    29 6'3 in shoes and a 6'5 wingspan here with basically no basketball skills. I'm not young or a vet but maybe I can find a role. Maybe betwen the two of us we can holddown the wing.

29 6'3 in shoes and a 6'5 wingspan here with basically no basketball skills. I'm not young or a vet but maybe I can find a role. Maybe betwen the two of us we can holddown the wing.
    29? You're pretty much useless according to PR

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I just turned 29 a week ago. . . . . . . . .

Is my life over?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I'm changing my linkedin to note that I have extremely limited upside.

Is my life over?
    Welcome to hell. A world where hangovers last for a full day and whatever enzyme allowed you to digest milk has disappeared.

I don't understand the disappointment when Houston just lost their first rounder, Lin, Asik, Parsons and all they have to show for it is Ariza who only seems to play well before a big contract. We don't have it all that bad. We've come such a long way after the CP3 exit

Is my life over?
    I would say nows a good time to get in crazy good shape.. Because maintenance is much easier than going into one of those 25 yr old binges where u are healthy for 2 months and your abs are showing again

Last year about 10 NBA teams were on the tank/rebuild mode, arguably an all-time high.
    Those teams have enough cap space to absorb bad contracts. Some of them like PHI even made it public. I expected the Pels to move Gordon and add a fourth player to the core of Jrue - AD - Asik. Such a team would be lethal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jjscap View Post
    Last year about 10 NBA teams were on the tank/rebuild mode, arguably an all-time high.
    Those teams have enough cap space to absorb bad contracts. Some of them like PHI even made it public. I expected the Pels to move Gordon and add a fourth player to the core of Jrue - AD - Asik. Such a team would be lethal imo.
    That's good news. Now what do we give them for compensation for taking on our terrible contract? We can't trade firsts because our next one is protected.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    we're not done...there will be some good trades
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

Thread Information