Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Full Range of Possibilities at SF

Actually if they want to use Bird Rights the number is $3,493,220. But if making things a pissing contest is how this board rolls.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Considering the Lakers traded their pick this year for Steve Nash; I doubt that. I think the reason they're putting this pupu platter of a team together is so they don't give a top 5 pick to a division rival.
    Top 5 protected?

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Actually if they want to use Bird Rights the number is $3,493,220. But if making things a pissing contest is how this board rolls.
    Or we're all just having fun.

2014-2015
    Kobe Bryant$23,500,000
    Steve Nash$9,701,000
    Jordan Hill$9,000,000
    Jeremy Lin$8,374,646
    Nick Young$5,375,000
    Julius Randle$2,497,800
    Robert Sacre$915,243
    CAP HOLDS (4)$2,029,344
    Total$61,393,033
    Salary Cap$63,065,000

Find me that 4-5 million in cap space.
    Thought they hadn't signed Randle yet? Do 1st round picks have cap holds?

Disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Who outta Jrue AD, Tyreke would you trade for that wing player you are looking for?
    I guess I just had faith that DD would get creative and figure out a way to make the Asik deal by creating a trade exception, a 3 way deal, sign and trade, etc. where we wouldn't have to trade Asik into cap space. Just read that Smith is already drawing a lot of interest, I don't see how a sign and trade wasn't possible somewhere. t think that is what I'm most disappointed about. The moves in a vacuum are great, I guess I just expected more creativity from Dealer Dell. Still not over of course, but basically giving up 9 million dollars worth of free agent dollars isn't ideal ya know? I think we lost Morrow because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yep. Hills cap hold was 6.65m plus extra space gives you right in the 4-5m range.

See I hadn't thought it all the way through but I trusted that MM was right. New guy trying to be all like "in your face" and MM like "nah son".

BSS > TBW

Boom.
    Don't do that to David. TBW is awesome. Pels fans are lucky to have two GREAT blogs. Need them with only one legit reporter at the TP. Nakia is awesome!

Anyway, let's put the swords away. I don't think this will matter much either way.
    @mcnamara247

Top 5 protected?
    Dangerous game to play and I doubt they're playing it.

Jeff Taylor is the perfect SF for this team, IMO. Can shoot the three and can play some D.

Quote Originally Posted by dleboeuf84 View Post
    I guess I just had faith that DD would get creative and figure out a way to make the Asik deal by creating a trade exception, a 3 way deal, sign and trade, etc. where we wouldn't have to trade Asik into cap space. Just read that Smith is already drawing a lot of interest, I don't see how a sign and trade wasn't possible somewhere. t think that is what I'm most disappointed about. The moves in a vacuum are great, I guess I just expected more creativity from Dealer Dell. Still not over of course, but basically giving up 9 million dollars worth of free agent dollars isn't ideal ya know? I think we lost Morrow because of it.
    So, give me your realistic offseason that would have been better. I see people upset that this didn't happen or that didn't happen.

You have the benefit of hindsight now. What would have been better?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Don't do that to David. TBW is awesome. Pels fans are lucky to have two GREAT blogs. Need them with only one legit reporter at the TP. Nakia is awesome!

Anyway, let's put the swords away. I don't think this will matter much either way.
    Can't be that great if they don't know about Bird's rights!

Boom!

*drops mic*

Lol I'm just playing around. I stand by my original point though which was I think if the Lakers wanted Johnson they could offer more than the RLE and the reason I left him off my list. Which is true.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-13-2014 at 11:52 AM.

The only way i can realistically see us getting Asik is through an exception is trade Gordon to a team w cap space and that is like 1 in a 100,000 odds, i can't blame him for that.

So, give me your realistic offseason that would have been better. I see people upset that this didn't happen or that didn't happen.

You have the benefit of hindsight now. What would have been better?
    I agree. I don't think that is a realistic expectation for this off-season.

I don't see how people can't be extremely happy with this off-season. It should give everyone hope that even if Gordon opts in he should be able to be moved next year.

I agree. I don't think that is a realistic expectation for this off-season.

I don't see how people can't be extremely happy with this off-season. It should give everyone hope that even if Gordon opts in he should be able to be moved next year.
    I understand not being enamored w our offseason, but to not think it's a net positive; that's hard to understand without a doubt.

The idea that Bourbon Street Shots and The Bird Writes compete with one another is simply incorrect.

Thanks McNamara for reminding me of order of potential operations.

PEMDAS

Pandas Eat Milk Duds And Skittles

PEMDAS

Pandas Eat Milk Duds And Skittles
    MM, do 1st round picks (already picked but unsigned) count as a cap hold? I'm imagining yes, but i wanted to make sure.

Yes - they count as 100% of their allotted salary.

But most teams sign rookies to 120% of that figure. So, a team would actually be smart to sign their rookie after they get to the cap. Hence, why Julius Randle has not been signed yet.

The idea that Bourbon Street Shots and The Bird Writes compete with one another is simply incorrect.

Thanks McNamara for reminding me of order of potential operations.
    I can't imagine they don't. Maybe not actively going against each other because of having plenty of space in the market but when two different sites cover the exact same thing they are in essence competing against each other.

I feel bad though that I've had to take exception to your comments here because this thread isn't how I usually am. I'm just in a joking mood today after this long waiting period of the Asik trade, combined with the expectations of the trade dropping at 12:01 then not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Jeff Taylor is the perfect SF for this team, IMO. Can shoot the three and can play some D.
    nice choice.

he's the age we like too

I can't imagine they don't. Maybe not actively going against each other because of having plenty of space in the market but when two different sites cover the exact same thing they are in essence competing against each other.

I feel bad though that I've had to take exception to your comments here because this thread isn't how I usually am. I'm just in a joking mood today after this long waiting period of the Asik trade, combined with the expectations of the trade dropping at 12:01 then not happening.
    What would we be competing for, though? I can't speak for them, but our site makes zero money, so we don't care about clicks, ads, etc.

I see our site and theirs as different, but the same. But for us to compete, we have to be trying to get something, and at least on our side, I don't know what that would be. We want to educate, and sometimes entertain, a fan base. Has always been our lone goal.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    nice choice.

he's the age we like too
    Yes. I'd trade Rivers for Taylor, even with him coming off his injury. But maybe Withey, Ajinca, or maybe Roberts in a S/T would be enough to sway Charlotte.

What would we be competing for, though? I can't speak for them, but our site makes zero money, so we don't care about clicks, ads, etc.

I see our site and theirs as different, but the same. But for us to compete, we have to be trying to get something, and at least on our side, I don't know what that would be. We want to educate, and sometimes entertain, a fan base. Has always been our lone goal.
    No matter what you want to have the goal of being the best possible site. Or at least I can't imagine that your goal isn't to be the best possible site for Pelicans pieces. Just the nature of wanting to be the best is competing in my mind.

But this is horribly off topic. I'm far more interested in seeing where this SF roulette wheel lands.

pels sign two SF
    Darius miller is your starter and plays 18-20 mins
    Pick another from the puu puu platter, it doesn't matter which one really

all they need is a guy to start the 1st and 3rd and to help with spacing
    Honestly whichever one is the better passer and defender is the one I'd grab

Quote Originally Posted by cgrand View Post
    pels sign two SF
    Darius miller is your starter and plays 18-20 mins
    Pick another from the puu puu platter, it doesn't matter which one really

all they need is a guy to start the 1st and 3rd and to help with spacing
    Honestly whichever one is the better passer and defender is the one I'd grab
    If Miller could play like he defended in that OKC game all the time he would be the perfect 3&D SF.

1-6

Thread Information