Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Full Range of Possibilities at SF

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    We need space next summer, if Gordon opts in at 15 mil no space left. Yes Mayo has a year remaining, but with the cap rising we'll be able to get more value at SF
    If Gordon opts in, then we consider stretching him.

But I think Gordon looks at the money Gordon Hayward just got and views this season as a contract year. I expect Gordon to have his best season in a Hornets/Pelicans jersey.

(And yes, he's still my least favorite NBA player of all time)

There is always the possibility of foreign guys if we can't find shooting with what we have to offer stateside. We did this pretty effectively with Brian Roberts, Gustavo Ayon, and Marco Bellinelli. Usually, but not always you need a little more than a minimum contract to bring them over, which would probably mean splitting the room exception to sign two guys you value less than the room but more than the minimum. Maybe with the possible NBA playing time we could offer, they'd consider the min. I'll intermittently add guys with the disclaimer that I watch minimal euroleague and can't comment on the feasibility of adding these guys:
    Kostas Vasileiadis- This guy stuck out to me. He's 30, so getting close to his last chance to ever play at the highest level. Offensively, from the little I've seen, I love the fit. His shooting numbers are really good, not spectacular (40% from 3 last year in euroleague play on one of the higher attempt percentages, which is about his average for the past few years) but he takes a ton of attempts. He plays almost exclusively off-ball, running off screens. The thing that stuck out to me is that he generates volume as a 3 point shooter because his release is quick, remorseless, and unaffected whether he has a hand in his face. These are not easy shots, they are generally contested, and he hits at a high percentage. His range extends well beyond NBA 3 point line. He has a workable floater if he has to put it on the floor for closeouts. He has an NBA body with good size for the position. I have no sense whether he can play defense at all, and his counting defensive numbers aren't encouraging. He's not an above the rim athlete. But he's also played professional basketball since age 16, and that experience could make him a guy who doesn't blow rotations or lose guys on backdoor cuts. He could be attracted into seeing if he could parlay a couple years as a high-usage backup into a second NBA contract on a contender who needs shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Am I crazy here or does that equal $59.5? Take into account 6 roster holds and a $63 million cap, how are they paying more than exception?
    Because those aren't exact numbers. I'm just giving rough ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'd love Marion too. But I didn't list him for the same reason as johnson. I don't think Dallas let's him walk.
    Sadly, I think you're right. Cuban seems to show loyalty to his guys. Even if he were to walk, I think someone signs him for slightly above what we can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Defensively, decent. Offensively, as long as its Jrue and Reke, it will be a disaster for any defense.
    Just play zone like the Spurs did against the Heat and force Reke to shoot beyond five feet.

Jordan Hamilton for the room exception seems like best of those options IMO

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Because those aren't exact numbers. I'm just giving rough ones.
    I understand. Just looked funny to disagree with his point, giving numbers that agreed with his point. If they have more for Johnson, it's just barely and he would have to be the only signing of significance. But makes a lot of sense for them to lock him up for whatever they have left, no doubt.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Jordan Hamilton for the room exception seems like best of those options IMO
    I would be beyond disappointed if we had the chance to land Carroll, Dunleavy, Middleton, Douglas-Roberts, Jefferson, and even a couple more and we went after Jordan Hamilton instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I understand. Just looked funny to disagree with his point, giving numbers that agreed with his point. If they have more for Johnson, it's just barely and he would have to be the only signing of significance. But makes a lot of sense for them to lock him up for whatever they have left, no doubt.
    Gotta remember too that Johnson currently has a cap hold on the Lakers books.

Their cap space is closer to 4/5m like MM said.

But who knows what the Lakers do. That team looks like trash. Maybe they don't care to match him because they just want to be as horrible as possible for a draft pick.

Before cap holds...

Bryant
    Nash
    Hill ($9M)
    Lin
    Young ($5.375M)
    Randle ($2.497M, 100% Rookie Scale Hold)
    Kendall Marshall
    Robert Sacre

$60.278M

Add in three cap holds ($507,336 x 3)

$61,940,800

Lakers can offer a maximum of $1,264,060 salary with cap space. Waive Marshall (Sacre's contract is guaranteed this season) and that value pushes up to $1,671,967. Neither of these options is greater than the Room Exception.
    Last edited by David Fisher; 07-13-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

I'm really sold on the idea of Jameer Nelson as our backup point. I think it could become one of the more underrated moves made by teams looking to make that push into the top 8. But I think we will have to use the RE on SF in order to get the most out of that position. RE on starter, trade Ajinca for young backup

1. Shawn Marion
    2. Richard Jefferson
    3. Wesley Johnson

1. Jeff Taylor
    2. James Ennis (would the heat trade him for Ajinca straight up?)
    3. Khris Middleton
    PELICAN fan .....and you know this maaayne

But who knows what the Lakers do. That team looks like trash. Maybe they don't care to match him because they just want to be as horrible as possible for a draft pick.
    They have to relinquish Johnson's cap hold in order to take on Lin into cap space. I'm telling you, they have scraps left.

2014-2015
    Kobe Bryant$23,500,000
    Steve Nash$9,701,000
    Jordan Hill$9,000,000
    Jeremy Lin$8,374,646
    Nick Young$5,375,000
    Julius Randle$2,497,800
    Robert Sacre$915,243
    CAP HOLDS (4)$2,029,344

Total$61,393,033

Salary Cap$63,065,000

Find me that 4-5 million in cap space.

My list would be: 1. Caron Butler, 2. Khris Middleton, 3. Omri Casspi, 4. Chris Douglas-Roberts.
    "The greatest threat to the domination is the equality."

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Overt View Post
    My list would be: 1. Caron Butler, 2. Khris Middleton, 3. Omri Casspi, 4. Chris Douglas-Roberts.
    How is Carroll or Dunleavy not on your list?

Can't the Lakers just delay the signings of Hill & Young until they finish their other signings (then use bird rights on Hill & Young). If so they have plenty of play room

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post

2014-2015
    Kobe Bryant$23,500,000
    Steve Nash$9,701,000
    Jordan Hill$9,000,000
    Jeremy Lin$8,374,646
    Nick Young$5,375,000
    Julius Randle$2,497,800
    Robert Sacre$915,243
    CAP HOLDS (4)$2,029,344
    Total$61,393,033
    Salary Cap$63,065,000

Find me that 4-5 million in cap space.
    So you're telling me there's a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The way I see it, Dell will have quite a few options to fill this spot, even though we just assume that the guy will be signed with the Room Exception. Maybe he will, but maybe they sign Jameer Nelson with the Room and trade Rivers for a SF. Or maybe they are sold on Patric Young and can move Withey or Ajinca for a cheap SF. To me, these are all the options

Trade Rivers Possibilities

DeMarre Carroll
    Mike Dunleavy
    Jae Crowder
    Mo Harkless

Trade a Big Possibilities

Khris Middleton
    Kyle Singler
    Jeff Taylor
    Quincy Miller
    Glen Rice, Jr.
    James Ennis

Room Exception

Richard Jefferson
    Francisco Garcia
    Omri Casspi
    James Jones
    Alan Anderson
    John Salmons
    Chris Douglas-Roberts
    Jordan Hamilton
    Wesley Johnson
    Shawn Marion
    Caron Butler

Minimum Guys

Darius Miller
    Brandon Rush
    Chris Singleton
    Jan Vesely
    Josh Howard

So, who are your top 3-5 on that list? Would you be willing to do a trade or do you just want to use the Room and solve this problem next year?
    The only person I would give rivers up for is Mo harkless.

I am a big fan of Brandon Rush I just hope he has something left in the tank.

I'm also pulling hard for Josh howard. I'm just not sure he could make it in the league. When he was barely making it in the dleague. We shall see tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MG3n2K9 View Post
    Can't the Lakers just delay the signings of Hill & Young until they finish their other signings (then use bird rights on Hill & Young). If so they have plenty of play room
    Ah crap. Yes, their cap holds are smaller for sure. I guess they could take that route.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Marion might be my favorite too. Very average 3pt shooter, including corner 3, but I take a slight decrease from behind the arc for all the other things he gives you over most of the guys on the list.

That's why I like josh Howard as we'll.

I think ryno will give us minutes at SF for the open shots to spread the floor. I don't want guys on the bench coming in to prove something and just throw up shots.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Can we please stop with Josh Howard. I want that dude no where near this team.

Well they don't have Birds rights on Young. But they do on Hill. That's certainly a possibility.

I'm guessing that's what they will do for future players because their roster looks like trash right now.

Yeah, the 4-5 mil can be made if they want on J. Hill and just leave his cap hold on the books as opposed to his 9 mil salary. If they have already signed him and submitted it to the league, then they can't. But I imagine they just agreed and will submit it after they get to the cap.
    @mcnamara247

Yep. Hills cap hold was 6.65m plus extra space gives you right in the 4-5m range.

See I hadn't thought it all the way through but I trusted that MM was right. New guy trying to be all like "in your face" and MM like "nah son".

BSS > TBW

Boom.

Considering the Lakers traded their pick this year for Steve Nash; I doubt that. I think the reason they're putting this pupu platter of a team together is so they don't give a top 5 pick to a division rival.

Thread Information