Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SF Question

SF Question

I see 3 possible situations for our small forward next year.

1. gordon is fully healthy and since we have Asik now on defense we can run a smaller offensive lineup with tyreke at SF, EG at SG and jrue at PG.
    2. Alonzo gee is our starting SF.
    3. Gee will be part of the Asik trade and we sign someone on the cheap like jordan hamilton or wesley johnson.

Are these basically our 3 scenarios that will end up happening?

1. reke isnt a sf
    2. gee is included in trade
    3. we need a vet

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    1. reke isnt a sf
    2. gee is included in trade
    3. we need a vet
    i know he isn't a SF but when our team was healthy our closing lineup was always jrue, eg, tyreke, ryno, davis

not saying he is a sf, but he can play sf, like he did for the kings 2 years ago and played SF all year.

do you ever sleep lol

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I see 3 possible situations for our small forward next year.

1. gordon is fully healthy and since we have Asik now on defense we can run a smaller offensive lineup with tyreke at SF, EG at SG and jrue at PG.
    2. Alonzo gee is our starting SF.
    3. Gee will be part of the Asik trade and we sign someone on the cheap like jordan hamilton or wesley johnson.

Are these basically our 3 scenarios that will end up happening?
    Looks about right. If 1 is the case, 3 most likely happens though depending on whether you think Gee would even start. We could directly get that SF instead of signing one with the leftover cap/exception depending on how complicated the deal is or whether it's tied to a subsequent one. But we'll see.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

IM a little lost on the Gee situation, is he already on the team, or is he going to be included on the Asik trade, and if so, how?
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Gee will almost surely be packaged for Asik and then we will sign someone like Morrow, Richard Jefferson, or Jordan Hamilton with the room exception. I think whichever SF we sign will get somewhere between 25 and 30 mpg, Reke will play 10-15 mpg at the 3, and then you have a guy like Southerland or Darius Miller at the end of the bench. I think Ryno could see some spot minutes at the 3 if we decide to go with the 3 big lineup for a couple minutes here and there. But getting Asik is so great in that now you don't need your 3 to be a lockdown defender with Asik down there. Just have to be competent and be able to knock down a 3.
    "While everyone is watching the play-offs, keep in mind, Anthony Davis is off somewhere getting better."

Morrow isnt coming back. Doubt we resign Miller, or even Southerland.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowDownOnNBA View Post
    Gee will almost surely be packaged for Asik and then we will sign someone like Morrow, Richard Jefferson, or Jordan Hamilton with the room exception. I think whichever SF we sign will get somewhere between 25 and 30 mpg, Reke will play 10-15 mpg at the 3, and then you have a guy like Southerland or Darius Miller at the end of the bench. I think Ryno could see some spot minutes at the 3 if we decide to go with the 3 big lineup for a couple minutes here and there. But getting Asik is so great in that now you don't need your 3 to be a lockdown defender with Asik down there. Just have to be competent and be able to knock down a 3.
    I seriously doubt our stop gap 3 would receive more than about 20 mins in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    I seriously doubt our stop gap 3 would receive more than about 20 mins in that scenario.
    Then who is playing those minutes? You playing Reke 28 mpg at the 3? If you have Gordon playing about 32-34, then Reke is playing at least 10-12 minutes at the 2 at a MINIMUM. Because of his skill set he's likely gonna see time at the 1 as well. Also why would you want to play Tyreke where he's probably the worst at? Again, Asik makes this so much easier. A 3 who is a capable defender and stretches the defense is all you really need. You got at least half the game covered playing him at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Morrow isnt coming back. Doubt we resign Miller, or even Southerland.
    Even if you don't think Morrow is coming back, you can't just have a stop gap like Dudley/Jefferson/Hamilton and Reke as your only players capable of playing the 3. Once Gordon gets hurt, Tyreke swaps almost full time to the 2. You gotta have at least one other capable player behind them. So if not Southerland or Miller, that's fine, but you gotta find someone.

Then who is playing those minutes? You playing Reke 28 mpg at the 3? If you have Gordon playing about 32-34, then Reke is playing at least 10-12 minutes at the 2 at a MINIMUM. Because of his skill set he's likely gonna see time at the 1 as well. Also why would you want to play Tyreke where he's probably the worst at? Again, Asik makes this so much easier. A 3 who is a capable defender and stretches the defense is all you really need. You got at least half the game covered playing him at the 3.
    Morrow.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Even if you don't think Morrow is coming back, you can't just have a stop gap like Dudley/Jefferson/Hamilton and Reke as your only players capable of playing the 3. Once Gordon gets hurt, Tyreke swaps almost full time to the 2. You gotta have at least one other capable player behind them. So if not Southerland or Miller, that's fine, but you gotta find someone.
    Seems reasonable to keep at least one of Southerland and Miller with a stop gap.

OAN: What are the odds we bring Morrow back on a two year RLE with a player option, while outlining to Morrow we think he's the perfect floor spacer to compliment what we believe will be a contending team as soon as next season... in wink wink sort of way?

Anybody remember the coaching staff talking about getting Babbitt to work on defending 3's?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Anybody remember the coaching staff talking about getting Babbitt to work on defending 3's?
    I don't recall this. Are you suggesting that the team feels Babbitt can be part of the SF by committee committee for the upcoming season?

Well they were working on it when he was there for offseason workouts. Against most backups, would it be the worst thing in the world?

2nd unit of Rivers, Tyreke, Babbitt, Ryno, and Withey or Ajnca - spot up shooters around Tyreke. Not horrible, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Well they were working on it when he was there for offseason workouts. Against most backups, would it be the worst thing in the world?

2nd unit of Rivers, Tyreke, Babbitt, Ryno, and Withey or Ajnca - spot up shooters around Tyreke. Not horrible, right?
    No, its not. It's making me like Dell even more. He's showing excellent foresight and reinforcing that with his creativity. I would've moved heaven and earth to keep our exceptions while grabbing Asik. I probably would've sacrificed Rivers, out of necessity. Dell is going to pull this off while not sacrificing a core member of the team and keeping himself in a prime position to showcase and get rid of his biggest mistake. By going after Asik we can totally get by with various options at the SF provided they can shoot and have the capacity to surprise us and maybe do something else.

The thought of Dell with cap space and RFA's on the loose makes me giddy. Let's hope and pray that Chicago gets Carmelo and Pau.

I do not see how the SF position "has to" be a vet. Whoever mans that position will be surrounded by vets at all times. Stop with the idea that the SF has to guard LeBron (2 games a season), Paul George (2 games a season), or Carmelo (2 games a season). This is pure Jimmy Smith line of thinking.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    I do not see how the SF position "has to" be a vet. Whoever mans that position will be surrounded by vets at all times. Stop with the idea that the SF has to guard LeBron (2 games a season), Paul George (2 games a season), or Carmelo (2 games a season). This is pure Jimmy Smith line of thinking.
    You forgot T. Prince 4 times a year!

Humor is reason gone mad Savagetaint's Avatar
    Wouldn't be surprised to see them take a flyer on Brandon Rush. He could play the 2 or 3, plus Dell showed interest in the past. He did have a knee jury 2 years ago and did not play a lot last year in Utah, so that is concerning, but if he came in at the minimum would be worth it.
    Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Morrow signed with thunder 10 mil over 3 yrs

So who is left that we can sign at SF when Asik trade is final and cap is updated?

fAs?

Trade candidates?

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    So who is left that we can sign at SF when Asik trade is final and cap is updated?

fAs?

Trade candidates?
    i would say everybody in the nba is a trade candidate.

anyways for free agents I'm thinking jordan hamilton or wesley johnson

Could Terrance Jones play SF at 6'9" 252? He seems to have a capable outside shot and decent handles to get to the rim when I watch but do not know his stats, advanced or otherwise. He passes the eyeball test for me and wished we had picked him 10th. Seems to have high BB IQ but never got many minutes in the rotation.

He obviously played with AD at Big Blue. He of course is not a free agent and while rosters are ever-changing, Rockets have or had a number of forwards.

I am racking my brain trying to figure out how we could get G Green from the Suns, keep Rivers to play SG, and sign j Nelson with the exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information