Pelicans Report

Thread: Scoring 7 goals in World Cup equivalent to 484 NBA points

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Scoring 7 goals in World Cup equivalent to 484 NBA points

Don't know how ESPN is calculating this but pretty crazy stat.

I couldn't believe what I saw yesterday in that match. I was guessing the equivalent of a 60 point lead in the NFL. Either way a blowout
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

That's quite dumb (typical espn though). There have been cases when 7 or more goals were scored in a world cup (and why "world cup"? Why not just a pro league among the top ones in europe?). But who ever saw a match in the nba end with 400 points? Or an nfl one with 107 for that matter. Dumb.

If anything, deutschland's victory yesterday closely resembled the 62-7 saints W against the colts. Now that is a better comparison

But 484 points in a basketball game is... Impossible. 7 goals in soccer obviously is not. I don't agree with this graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    That's quite dumb (typical espn though). There have been cases when 7 or more goals were scored in a world cup (and why "world cup"? Why not just a pro league among the top ones in europe?). But who ever saw a match in the nba end with 400 points? Or an nfl one with 107 for that matter. Dumb.

If anything, deutschland's victory yesterday closely resembled the 62-7 saints W against the colts. Now that is a better comparison
    Thank you

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post

7 or more goals have never been scored in a WC semi final. I guess the expectancy is higher level of play. 484 points is a bit extreme though, should have said like 170. Since 140 has been reached before.

I felt bad for Brazil...but not bad enough not to post this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by jegirouard View Post
    But 484 points in a basketball game is... Impossible. 7 goals in soccer obviously is not. I don't agree with this graphic.
    Agree completely. Even in a complete mismatch, basketball has this pesky thing called the clock that just doesn't allow enough time for that many shots to go through.

7 goals in soccer, is not impossible, but the numbers are about right. Wasn't it something like a 1 in 1,800 chance that 7 goals would be scored in a game.

That fact that 7 goals were scored on Brazil IN BRAZIL is what makes this nearly impossible. It's a mixture of how bad they were beat and how dominant they have been in their home country for the last 50+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    7 goals in soccer, is not impossible, but the numbers are about right. Wasn't it something like a 1 in 1,800 chance that 7 goals would be scored in a game.

That fact that 7 goals were scored on Brazil IN BRAZIL is what makes this nearly impossible. It's a mixture of how bad they were beat and how dominant they have been in their home country for the last 50+ years.
    Actually, you are right. 7-1 against Brazil, In a semi final, in Brazil. What happened yesterday was impossible. The impossible happened.

I wouldn't say impossible, but the Polocs had a better chance of staving off the SS than Germany had of scoring 7 goals in that game.

As a brazilian, I will tell you this: here, we felt it was going to happen one day. It's been so much corruption, players being treated like gods, a lot of fun for the brazilian staff and the players, but no soccer at all... We're just not the number one anymore, and it's been quite some time like that, but we choose to fool ourselves we still are the best, and when something like us beating Spain a few months ago happens, we get back to the illusion nothing is wrong.

Our current situation in the sports reflects the situation of our country, unfortunately... The last thing we needed was WC here, politics stole billions, the arenas were not ready for the event, as were the host-cities, the education is beyond ridiculous, the are few hospitals and we're even importing medics from Cuba because our own doctors don't want to work on such bad conditions... I could gon on for forever talking about what is wrong down here... But to get back to the topic, it was about time we got blown out like this, especially at home, nobody expected 7-1, but still... Hope it helps us to get back on track...

And by the way, nice participation from USA, met a few americans here, they were going nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    And by the way, nice participation from USA, met a few americans here, they were going nuts!
    Cheering for your country is fun, no matter what sport it is!

I would say it's closer to 200 points

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    As a brazilian, I will tell you this: here, we felt it was going to happen one day. It's been so much corruption, players being treated like gods, a lot of fun for the brazilian staff and the players, but no soccer at all... We're just not the number one anymore, and it's been quite some time like that, but we choose to fool ourselves we still are the best, and when something like us beating Spain a few months ago happens, we get back to the illusion nothing is wrong.

Our current situation in the sports reflects the situation of our country, unfortunately... The last thing we needed was WC here, politics stole billions, the arenas were not ready for the event, as were the host-cities, the education is beyond ridiculous, the are few hospitals and we're even importing medics from Cuba because our own doctors don't want to work on such bad conditions... I could gone on for forever talking about what is wrong down here... But to get back to the topic, it was about time we got blown out like this, especially at home, nobody expected 7-1, but still... Hope it helps us to get back on track...
    My father's cousin is one of those Cuban doctors that you guys imported. He previously spent time in Venezuela as well as Nauru. The medical programs in Cuba are some of the best in the world.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    nah
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

I don't know how you can even dispute this. It was posted by ESPN and I've confirmed its accuracy with Chris Broussard and multiple sources.

Yes, it's silly. 7 goals in a soccer game is really just 7 improbable scoring plays. It's more comparable to 7 kick/punt returns for TDs in a football game or 7 4-point plays in a basketball game.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Teal Lantern View Post
    Yes, it's silly. 7 goals in a soccer game is really just 7 improbable scoring plays. It's more comparable to 7 kick/punt returns for TDs in a football game or 7 4-point plays in a basketball game.
    I wouldn't say that, 7 kick/punt returns or 7-4pt plays happen probably close to once in a decade, 7-1 happens every year and not just once, the only thing about it is that it was against a really really good team. 7-1 is like what the spurs did the heat over the course of the finals, not impossible, just really unforeseeable. It happens. Like the 2008 finals when the Celtics killed the Lakers 131-92 in game 6. espn is literally crap nowadays

Brazil was just atrocious defensively, very unorganized, dove in on 1v1 challenges, and overreacted to the ball on every play instead of watching runs. Starting Maicon was a horrible decision, and Dante and David Luis was not the best center back pairing obviously.
    Last edited by jgman; 07-10-2014 at 01:14 AM.
    never assume

I believe the problem lies much more on our midfielders and our center forward. Oscar did score in the end, but he was absent for the whole game, and to be honest, the whole WC. Hulk is also severely overrated, and Fred may have been the worst forward in the competition. Our coach also didn't do us any favors against Germany subbing Bernard for Neymar, Germany's midfield is so good you gotta match them up with another midfielder, not another striker. They dominated us from minute one, and we never really had the guys who should be creating for the others in the game, part because Germany did an exellent job keeping them from receiving the ball, part because they just accepted the defense too passively, like it's been the entire competition...

And to make things even worse, Argentina is in the final... Disastrous WC for us!

dont worry we are going to take care of argentina

Please, do us this small favor!

Thread Information